Alleged Pune 'deal' puts Pandey in trouble

Guest prince

A new controversy has emerged in the IPL with reports alleging that a fight has broken out among the franchisees regarding uncapped Indian players. There are allegations of franchises with rich catchment areas arm twisting young talented cricketers to not join other franchises despite picking them up for a fraction of the market price. According to a report in the Times of India, the fight came to light when Manish Pandey, the star of IPL-2, showed interest in joining Pune Warriors. The Bangalore franchise has threatened to initiate action at Manish Pandey Pandey apparently rejected an offer from RCB to sign him afresh and showed interest in a deal with the Sahara Pune Warriors. RCB were offering Pandey fees as per the IPL rule which states that domestic cricketers who have played for more than two seasons but less than five should not be paid more than Rs 20 lakh. Pandey's market price is obviously more. For instance, his former Under-19 colleague Saurabh Tiwary has pocketed Rs 7.36 crore by virtue of his debut in the Indian one-day team. Pandey's market price even if less than that, would certainly be more that Rs 20 lakh. But he's being pressed to be content with that or else face a ban under IPL rules. The rules themselves appear loaded against young talented cricketers and franchises that don't have a rich catchment area, like Pune and Kochi, and there have been calls to amend the rules in such a scenario Therefore, when Pandey saw a better offer coming his way, he wanted to grab the opportunity, and declined RCB's "meager fee". The amount is not yet known . However, RCB got wind of Pandey's move and are now thinking of filing an official complaint which can see the cricketer banned from IPL 2011. http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/35077/alleged-pune-deal-puts-pandey-in-trouble
Why the heck weren't the uncapped indian players who played 60% of matches in IPL 3 put in the auction.

I dont really blame Pandey.He undoubtedly has more talent than Saurab tiwary will ever have.Tiwary got a incredibly lucky break when he got an Indian cap because of a lot injuries to the regulars.If pandey would have entered the draft than he would have got more than Tiwary since he is more established than Tiwary and he is also an opener and a very good fielder too.RCB were obviously counting on Pandey but it doesnt look likely that he would take that big of a paycut when an inferior player is in the same team making crores.

seems like some of these guys are getting indian cap just so that they can enter the IPL auction. this itself can be a good business with boxes of cash exchanging.
yep,i have already mentioned that in the brc thread.If it becomes a trend then we know what our selectors are really upto.

^ I think it's too far fetched to accuse selectors of taking bribes without anything concrete. However, I do agree that the discrepancy between the uncapped and the barely capped players needs to be closed. Either allow all uncapped players who featured in some 60-75% of the matches in the previous edition to go into auction or put a minimum of some 20-30 international caps before someone can qualify for an auction.

^ I think it's too far fetched to accuse selectors of taking bribes without anything concrete.
Even if it isn't happening now, it isn't far fetched to imagine such things happening in the future given that we are talking millions of dollars here. Also, these don't have to be direct cash bribes, it could be indirect pressure by regional selectors to "help" out a guy from their zone get an IPL auction chance.
However, I do agree that the discrepancy between the uncapped and the barely capped players needs to be closed. Either allow all uncapped players who featured in some 60-75% of the matches in the previous edition to go into auction or put a minimum of some 20-30 international caps before someone can qualify for an auction.
I agree and would propose the former cause getting an international cap shouldn't be the only criteria to get into an auction. In fact there are many foreign players who haven't played any international who can enter the auction, but Indian players cannot. That in itself is discrimination.

Another selection totally out of left field is Unadkat.He shoudnt even be in the India team selection process for atleast 2 years and now he is a millionaire because he got to play a test match and had the most forgettable performance in a long time.
Yes, just because he took part in one test and trundled, he is now a millionaire! Ridiculous. I saw the bidding and I was like "Do they even know how he bowls!??" - Granted he may have played in prior IPL, but seriously! :headshake:

Another selection totally out of left field is Unadkat.He shoudnt even be in the India team selection process for atleast 2 years and now he is a millionaire because he got to play a test match and had the most forgettable performance in a long time.
Its pretty screwed up. I think that uncapped players should have also been treated as regular players and the teams should have been given a list with these players. If any team showed interest in a player, then they should have made it to the auction too just like the regular players. It is really unfair that these uncapped players will get peanuts compared to some dead weights.

So, are the leagues now doing "under the table" dealing for uncapped players? More unaccounted money :yayo:
Its speculation at this point but they should never have put players in this position at all,the whole "uncapped players" is total BS.What has Dan Christian done to get $900,000? has he even played in the sub-continent?