Are urban Indians becoming excessively stupid?

Mariyam

For the last few weekends, there have been many wonderful shows/events in Mumbai. Last to last week, there was a Nasseruddin Shah directed play at Prithvi theater. Last week, there was a Vir Das stand up comedy and yesterday and the day before, we have had the Kala Ghoda festival. But some people ( guys mainly and surprisingly even some girls) think watching football league on TV/ in a cafe is more fun than any of the above. In the last few years I have noticed that craze for football has grown by leaps and bounds in this city. The 'cool' thing is to talk about football .:wall: An average conversation in a Mumbai pub on a weekend at 9PM: Guy in blue shirt: WE are going to trash you tonight. Guy in white shirt: It doesn't matter if you win tonight, we won the Burlington or some other cup (hahah- sips beer-haha). And this conversation is repeated ad nauseam. How did this happen? Notice that these guys use terms like 'we' as if they are the ones who run the place or play. I've also seen a guy cry when 'his' team lost.How can someone have so strong emotions for a place he/she has never visited or have any relation to? The last game I watched was the WC final last year, and I very clearly remember that one guy kicked another guy in his chest. The game seemed more like wrestling. And that is supposed to be the ultimate football game in the ultimate competition. Also that background noise of the plastic horns was just plain annoying. How can someone beyond the age of 7 years find blowing that horn fun for a period of 2 hours is totally beyond me. I thought that being football follower is suited to people of Europe, Latin America and the Arab world. Those are the kind of places that have the most necessary prerequisite: average IQ in the range 70-80 and lack of other alternatives to pass time. Ideally the USA looks like a perfect destination for the game and not India. However, they have a game which is even more retarded than football: American football and hence football for them is a jump up on the IQ scale. My main question is, why the hell are modern urban Indian youth attracted by this bug? How has this low level sport seeped into our culture? Is it because we are getting dumber?

Are urban Indians becoming excessively stupid? YES Evidence: Posts like this

I thought that being football follower is suited to people of Europe, Latin America and the Arab world. Those are the kind of places that have the most necessary prerequisite: average IQ in the range 70-80 and lack of other alternatives to pass time. Ideally the USA looks like a perfect destination for the game and not India. However, they have a game which is even more retarded than football: American football and hence football for them is a jump up on the IQ scale.

My main question is, why the hell are modern urban Indian youth attracted by this bug? How has this low level sport seeped into our culture? Is it because we are getting dumber?
As much as I love cricket, I find footbal, nba way more interesting and being fan of teams in those league are a more unique experience then just following a game of cricket. NBA and EPL has so much more background drama, history, rivalry and buildup to the games which attracts the fans to follow their teams religiously. IPL was heading in the same direction until Modi got kicked off, I have my doubts if it still head that way with the new management.

I thought that being football follower is suited to people of Europe' date= Latin America and the Arab world. Those are the kind of places that have the most necessary prerequisite: average IQ in the range 70-80 and lack of other alternatives to pass time. Ideally the USA looks like a perfect destination for the game and not India. However, they have a game which is even more retarded than football: American football and hence football for them is a jump up on the IQ scale.
Disappointing to read such ignorant generalizations.

Are urban Indians becoming excessively stupid? YES Evidence: Posts like this
Please. This thread is dedicated to discuss the effects of football on Indian society. If you want to indulge in mudslinging and digress, then post in any of the politics threads. Oh, and btw, it has been proved by science ( the real one, not the astrology type) that following football leads to low IQ. And Dr. Rudolf Wissenderburg has also made changes to the IQ tests. Their scores are halved if they are football fans for more than a year. If some one follows football for more than that time, then the score are reduced by a factor of 80%. Its a vicious cycle. Stupidity leads to watching football and watching football leads to stupidity. You can read about it here.
Thats a good thing the urban population are developing interests in something social and enjoyable for once. Rather then go in hoardes to the local cinemas and whistle and crack jokes when the heroine comes on the screen :giggle:
How in the world is watching football a social activity? Unless you consider being a wannabe as the only way to find acceptance into a group as 'social'. Do not compare the cultured art of hooting at heroines to the mindless craze of watching football. It requires much more skill and precision than football. Besides, aren't you a non resident? Its understandable if you follow a club or country where you reside. But for those in India having such strong feelings about some random club from Sheffield is a little difficult to fathom.

For a 10 to 25 years young Indian who does not even play football or any other sport apart frm video games' date=' to refer to some random EPL club as 'WE', I do not think is Cool. Otherwise it is fine.[/quote'] Every football fan talks like that. WE, US, OUR. Lets not kid ourselves. This is wannabe-ism at its worst. I'm surprised the government hasn't taken action against this. It should be shifted to the post 11pm time slot. That will help the prime time entertainment industry by removing competition and spare the general public the football related discussions.

For the last few weekends, there have been many wonderful shows/events in Mumbai. Last to last week, there was a Nasseruddin Shah directed play at Prithvi theater. Last week, there was a Vir Das stand up comedy and yesterday and the day before, we have had the Kala Ghoda festival. But some people ( guys mainly and surprisingly even some girls) think watching football league on TV/ in a cafe is more fun than any of the above. In the last few years I have noticed that craze for football has grown by leaps and bounds in this city. The 'cool' thing is to talk about football .:wall: An average conversation in a Mumbai pub on a weekend at 9PM: Guy in blue shirt: WE are going to trash you tonight. Guy in white shirt: It doesn't matter if you win tonight, we won the Burlington or some other cup (hahah- sips beer-haha). And this conversation is repeated ad nauseam. How did this happen? Notice that these guys use terms like 'we' as if they are the ones who run the place or play. I've also seen a guy cry when 'his' team lost.How can someone have so strong emotions for a place he/she has never visited or have any relation to? The last game I watched was the WC final last year, and I very clearly remember that one guy kicked another guy in his chest. The game seemed more like wrestling. And that is supposed to be the ultimate football game in the ultimate competition. Also that background noise of the plastic horns was just plain annoying. How can someone beyond the age of 7 years find blowing that horn fun for a period of 2 hours is totally beyond me. I thought that being football follower is suited to people of Europe, Latin America and the Arab world. Those are the kind of places that have the most necessary prerequisite: average IQ in the range 70-80 and lack of other alternatives to pass time. Ideally the USA looks like a perfect destination for the game and not India. However, they have a game which is even more retarded than football: American football and hence football for them is a jump up on the IQ scale. My main question is, why the hell are modern urban Indian youth attracted by this bug? How has this low level sport seeped into our culture? Is it because we are getting dumber?
Glad to see N.Shah is still doing Stage, I went for a few and abs loved em. Footie was still pretty big back in 90's, we actually booked a section of the Club at Leela's in 99 WC Infact, one of these guys who recently immigrated form Chandigarh was discussing Arsenals Strategy etc with some other Dude, he was like, not everyone's into cricket and there are many who love football

Glad to see N.Shah is still doing Stage, I went for a few and abs loved em. Footie was still pretty big back in 90's, we actually booked a section of the Club at Leela's in 99 WC Infact, one of these guys who recently immigrated form Chandigarh was discussing Arsenals Strategy etc with some other Dude, he was like, not everyone's into cricket and there are many who love football
That I can understand. Thats a discussion on strategy. What I cannot is wanting to belong to something that you are not a part of. And then buying merchandise, talking in a particular fashion et al. Doesn't that strike as odd to anyone else?