Are urban Indians becoming excessively stupid?

Mariyam

That I can understand. Thats a discussion on strategy. What I cannot is wanting to belong to something that you are not a part of. And then buying merchandise' date=' talking in a particular fashion et al. Doesn't that strike as odd to anyone else?[/quote'] How? These teams are basically brands, and they are expanding worldwide day by day. The more fan base they have, the larger revenue they can make through tv rights, sponsorship, merchandise etc.

That I can understand. Thats a discussion on strategy. What I cannot is wanting to belong to something that you are not a part of. And then buying merchandise' date=' talking in a particular fashion et al. Doesn't that strike as odd to anyone else?[/quote'] I can only relate to this fact when some guys were just coming over to ask how much did Ronaldo SCORE Sorry, it's been a while I've been back home, but I know how the "bandwagon" works

Every football fan talks like that. WE, US, OUR. Lets not kid ourselves. This is wannabe-ism at its worst. I'm surprised the government hasn't taken action against this. It should be shifted to the post 11pm time slot. That will help the prime time entertainment industry by removing competition and spare the general public the football related discussions.
I am not too sure abt it although I get ur sentiment. I am critical of those indian youngsters who do not even play soccer or any other outdoor sport. My younger brother is a mad chelsea fan but I am not too disturbed abt it coz he himself plays the game every week n also there is no indian soccer league to follow so he has a foreign club allegiance.

That I can understand. Thats a discussion on strategy. What I cannot is wanting to belong to something that you are not a part of. And then buying merchandise' date=' talking in a particular fashion et al. Doesn't that strike as odd to anyone else?[/quote'] i completely agree with u ppl supporting clubs that they have NO CONNECTION TO whatsoever and adopting them as 'THEIR OWN' is incredibly stupid but i guess its all about wanting to look cool, and cricket is too passe for the youth of india so the 'youngistaan' idiots need to find new ways to distinguish themselves

Please. This thread is dedicated to discuss the effects of football on Indian society. If you want to indulge in mudslinging and digress, then post in any of the politics threads.
You didn't stop at that did you? So, it was ok for you to make IQ generalizations on the population of Europe and the USA for them following their sport, but you get all wound up when you are called out for making such a stupid comment?

i completely agree with u ppl supporting clubs that they have NO CONNECTION TO whatsoever and adopting them as 'THEIR OWN' is incredibly stupid but i guess its all about wanting to look cool, and cricket is too passe for the youth of india so the 'youngistaan' idiots need to find new ways to distinguish themselves
So out of the millions of Manchester United supporters, only those who live in Manchester are true fans and everyone else is a bandwagoner/glory hunter? :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

i completely agree with u ppl supporting clubs that they have NO CONNECTION TO whatsoever and adopting them as 'THEIR OWN' is incredibly stupid but i guess its all about wanting to look cool, and cricket is too passe for the youth of india so the 'youngistaan' idiots need to find new ways to distinguish themselves
yeah, totally dude. So if one supports NZ in Rugby or the U.S. in Swimming at the Olympics or Russia in Gymnastics, than they do it to look "COOL". I mean if you don't LIVE in that country and have no attachment to that place, how dare you ****ing support them It has obviously has nothing to do with admiring their talent and hardwork. *attempt at sarcam*

Look at it this way. You are in India and you love Soccer/footy. Who do you support? Mohan Bagan? :giggle: It is similar to people supporting Federer or Nadal. What is the connection with those players?

You didn't stop at that did you? So, it was ok for you to make IQ generalizations on the population of Europe and the USA for them following their sport, but you get all wound up when you are called out for making such a stupid comment?
I'm not generalizing. Its been proven scientifically.If you read the pages of the report that I mentioned in my previous post, it has a formula for True IQ True IQ = IQ from test + modification due to geography* + modification due to sports followed** * For India, Fiji, SIngapore + 100 IQ points For South Pole, Arab countires and Mexico + 20 IQ points For USA, Europe and Japan -ve 20 IQ points For Pakistan -ve 100 IQ points For Australia -ve 2000 IQ points ** For Gilli danda, hide and seek and passing the parcel +100 IQ points For cricket +20 IQ points For football ( tenure dependent) -ve 50% IQ points for short term following, -ve 80% IQ points for long term following For Baseball -ve 11125 IQ points

I'm not generalizing. Its been proven scientifically.If you read the pages of the report that I mentioned in my previous post' date=' it has a formula for [b']True IQ True IQ = IQ from test + modification due to geography* + modification due to sports followed** * For India, Fiji, SIngapore + 100 IQ points For South Pole, Arab countires and Mexico + 20 IQ points For USA, Europe and Japan -ve 20 IQ points For Pakistan -ve 100 IQ points For Australia -ve 2000 IQ points ** For Gilli danda, hide and seek and passing the parcel +100 IQ points For cricket +20 IQ points For football ( tenure dependent) -ve 50% IQ points for short term following, -ve 80% IQ points for long term following For Baseball -ve 11125 IQ points
POTW :isalute:

Look at it this way. You are in India and you love Soccer/footy. Who do you support? Mohan Bagan? :giggle: It is similar to people supporting Federrer or Nadal. What is the connection with those players?
though unlike grand slam tennis, soccer leagues run all arnd the year which is a nuisance for the non-followers.

Mariyam is probably saying so coz typically the games are not shown at times where they would be watching it, or played on the grounds, nor there is a fan club etc. I can safely say that ppl do many things to look cool, guilty as charged - I used to request my whiskey in a scotch glass else I wouldn't drink in a tall one ( silly but true )

I am not too sure abt it although I get ur sentiment. I am critical of those indian youngsters who do not even play soccer or any other outdoor sport. My younger brother is a mad chelsea fan but I am not too disturbed abt it coz he himself plays the game every week n also there is no indian soccer league to follow so he has a foreign club allegiance.
I agree with you. Except for the part where you say that one has to play football to be a fan. I don't play cricket. Never have in my life. But I'm still a fan. I don't think its necessary to play the game to be a fan at all. Do you have to know to act to enjoy a movie?
Brilliantly put. WHAT MANNY IS SAYING MAKES SENSE. ITS ABSOLUTELY OK TO FOLLOW A TEAM FROM SOME RANDOM PART OF THE WORLD AND APPRECIATE THE WAY THEY PLAY. WHAT IS NOT OK IS GETTING EMOTIONALLY ATTACHED AND BEHAVING AS YOU ARE A PART OF THAT TEAM/CITY/COUNTRY WHEN YOU ARE NOT. THATS REEKS OF SOME SORT OF DEEPER PSYCHOLOGICAL MALAISE Thats what annoys me.

Brilliantly put. WHAT MANNY IS SAYING MAKES SENSE. ITS ABSOLUTELY OK TO FOLLOW A TEAM FROM SOME RANDOM PART OF THE WORLD AND APPRECIATE THE WAY THEY PLAY. WHAT IS NOT OK IS GETTING EMOTIONALLY ATTACHED AND BEHAVING AS YOU ARE A PART OF THAT TEAM/CITY/COUNTRY WHEN YOU ARE NOT. THATS REEKS OF SOME SORT OF DEEPER PSYCHOLOGICAL MALAISE Thats what annoys me.
You realise that applies many more millions of fans of many other sports across the world and not just India? Is the world in general dumb according to your IQ formula? :hysterical::hysterical:

I am sorry, but I'd rather have you guys fight over football club loyalties, even if it gets to ridiculously silly extents, than go get brainwashed in some religious school and plot their next suicide bombing, or get addicted to dangerous drugs and drop out of school/college or even start taking liberties with the law. If you want to retain your sanity, you have to be passionate about or be addicted something. . For guys, sports is the most preferable, least damaging option. And btw, if somebody is so loony enough that they get into real fights over games, then niether do they understand the concept of sports, nor are they real 'fans'. Those guys are just plain silly. Its a bit like those partisan specimens that you find on message boards that pick out some random, unrelated stat to prove that 'his' player is better than the opposition's.

I agree with you. Except for the part where you say that one has to play football to be a fan. I don't play cricket. Never have in my life. But I'm still a fan. I don't think its necessary to play the game to be a fan at all. Do you have to know to act to enjoy a movie?
I didnt say that. what i meant was if you are a fit n young 10 to 25 year old male, you MUST play SOME outdoor sport. you can define your own age bracket for females....

For the last few weekends, there have been many wonderful shows/events in Mumbai. Last to last week, there was a Nasseruddin Shah directed play at Prithvi theater. Last week, there was a Vir Das stand up comedy and yesterday and the day before, we have had the Kala Ghoda festival. But some people ( guys mainly and surprisingly even some girls) think watching football league on TV/ in a cafe is more fun than any of the above.
Well, everyone doesnt have the same tastes as you do. The key word is 'fun'. 99% of the people in this forum would prefer to go to watch a game(football, cricket or even eggball) at a pub with their best buddies rather that go to an arts festival. It's something you wouldn't understand, because its not your cup of tea. Anyways, its an experience, which you wont know till you have gotten wasted with your friends while watching the game, and then the team you support scores 4 goals in the last 20 mins of the game:two_thumbs_up: (Arsenal:hehe:).
Also that background noise of the plastic horns was just plain annoying. How can someone beyond the age of 7 years find blowing that horn fun for a period of 2 hours is totally beyond me.
Havent you been to the IPL games? Didnt you blow a horn there?:cantstop:
I thought that being football follower is suited to people of Europe, Latin America and the Arab world. Those are the kind of places that have the most necessary prerequisite: average IQ in the range 70-80 and lack of other alternatives to pass time.
Seriously?:hehe: Either you're incredibly stupid or incredibly ignorant :hmmmm: I dont even want to comment more on this:eyedance:
a game which is even more retarded than football: American football
I agree:haha:
How has this low level sport seeped into our culture?
low level sport? It's the most followed sport on earth:nervous:

though unlike grand slam tennis' date=' soccer leagues run all arnd the year which is a nuisance for the non-followers.[/quote'] non-followers are allowed to not follow the sport and let the followers do the following. :winky:

dude.. get your facts right, there is very well thriving Indian Football League. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-League But what a fun thread. I am loving it. Go Mariyam Go.. Drive this craze of soccer out of Indian's psyche :winky:. Everybody should watch either Cricket or Chess :-). No other sports.