Are urban Indians becoming excessively stupid?

Mariyam

For the last few weekends' date=' there have been many wonderful shows/events in Mumbai. Last to last week, there was a Nasseruddin Shah directed play at Prithvi theater. Last week, there was a Vir Das stand up comedy and yesterday and the day before, we have had the [b']Kala Ghoda festival. But some people ( guys mainly and surprisingly even some girls) think watching football league on TV/ in a cafe is more fun than any of the above. In the last few years I have noticed that craze for football has grown by leaps and bounds in this city. The 'cool' thing is to talk about football .:wall: An average conversation in a Mumbai pub on a weekend at 9PM: Guy in blue shirt: WE are going to trash you tonight. Guy in white shirt: It doesn't matter if you win tonight, we won the Burlington or some other cup (hahah- sips beer-haha). And this conversation is repeated ad nauseam. How did this happen? Notice that these guys use terms like 'we' as if they are the ones who run the place or play. I've also seen a guy cry when 'his' team lost.How can someone have so strong emotions for a place he/she has never visited or have any relation to? The last game I watched was the WC final last year, and I very clearly remember that one guy kicked another guy in his chest. The game seemed more like wrestling. And that is supposed to be the ultimate football game in the ultimate competition. Also that background noise of the plastic horns was just plain annoying. How can someone beyond the age of 7 years find blowing that horn fun for a period of 2 hours is totally beyond me. I thought that being football follower is suited to people of Europe, Latin America and the Arab world. Those are the kind of places that have the most necessary prerequisite: average IQ in the range 70-80 and lack of other alternatives to pass time. Ideally the USA looks like a perfect destination for the game and not India. However, they have a game which is even more retarded than football: American football and hence football for them is a jump up on the IQ scale. My main question is, why the hell are modern urban Indian youth attracted by this bug? How has this low level sport seeped into our culture? Is it because we are getting dumber?
I saw huge crowds on sunday . Prem Joshua was disapponting though. :(( I agree with the overall sentiment , though am more worried about the bollywood bug than football one .Take a mumbai local train & you see kids talk only about these movie stars . I used to carry a newspaper along travelling to work & the most annoying thing was kids come up to you and ask only for 'bombay times' , after a few times I started saying no :--D

Mariyam, you're being excessively judgmental here. I wonder what percentage of youth can spare money for watching soccer in a pub vs. good quality theater. A vast majority would be struggling to complete their school/college and getting home safely each day, or for that matter their daily meals. Sure, some kids have fun their own way and gets obsessed with 'their' team which essentially is a group of people who would hate them IF they knew them. As Morris suggests, its not an ideal world but still is way better than drunk/high teens killing people with their flashy cars. Reminds me of an episode in the TV series 'Yes, Prime Minister' with a similar conundrum. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Middle-Class_Rip-Off

Mariyam, you're being excessively judgmental here. I wonder what percentage of youth can spare money for watching soccer in a pub vs. good quality theater. A vast majority would be struggling to complete their school/college and getting home safely each day, or for that matter their daily meals. Sure, some kids have fun their own way and gets obsessed with 'their' team which essentially is a group of people who would hate them IF they knew them. As Morris suggests, its not an ideal world but still is way better than drunk/high teens killing people with their flashy cars. Reminds me of an episode in the TV series 'Yes, Prime Minister' with a similar conundrum. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Middle-Class_Rip-Off
fabulous TV series.

Well' date=' everyone doesnt have the same tastes as you do. The key word is 'fun'. 99% of the people in this forum would prefer to go to watch a game(football, cricket or even eggball) at a pub with their best buddies rather that go to an arts festival. It's something you wouldn't understand, because its not your cup of tea. Anyways, its an experience, which you wont know till you have gotten wasted with your friends while watching the game, and then the team you support scores 4 goals in the last 20 mins of the game:two_thumbs_up: (Arsenal:hehe:). [/quote'] Been there, done that. I am not even talking about tastes. I'm talking about some crazy group behavior. A psychologist's gold mine. Just for the sake of observation, go to Man Utd cafe at Palladium, Phoenix Mills and observe the people there. Everyone has a story to tell. How they were followers of Man Utd from 2 AD, how they remember that game in 1971 when 'we' beat Blackstone etc. The whole thing is so superficial and hollow, it gets scary after some time. :((
Havent you been to the IPL games? Didnt you blow a horn there?
You're comparing apples to oranges here. The football horn sounds like a buzz. As if a giant bee is hovering around the stadium.No tune. No music. No nothing. The IPL horn has a fixed tune at least, though I admit it gets annoying after a while.

There are two distinct points here. 1) Following a team from some far off part of the world. Thats fine if you like the sport so much. 2) Changing your behaviour pattern and thinking that you are a resident of XYZ town and trying to be more XYZian than a real person from XYZ town just because you see a game once a month on TV, or bragging about a fictional/ vague connection to the team you support just to show that you are a 'bigger' fan than the next person. Sachin=God, the IPL example doesn't hold. There may be a player form Lucknow in any of the IPL clubs you support. Besides, I haven't seen the whole herd mentality when it comes to IPL teams. I know many non Delhites who support the Daredevils, but they don't have to pretend to be anything.

Does no one see the sarcasm in this post of Mary-I-Am :dontknow:
Shhh.. don't spill the beans :P Anyways, its time for our ( Jakarta United) home game against Manila City in the ASEAN water polo cup. In case we lose, I might go into depression and slash my wrists. You see, its my 'passion' for my team. Till laters.

Been there, done that. I am not even talking about tastes. I'm talking about some crazy group behavior. A psychologist's gold mine. Just for the sake of observation, go to Man Utd cafe at Palladium, Phoenix Mills and observe the people there. Everyone has a story to tell. How they were followers of Man Utd from 2 AD, how they remember that game in 1971 when 'we' beat Blackstone etc. The whole thing is so superficial and hollow, it gets scary after some time. :((
Quite a few of the old people who have been following cricket for a long time also usually have a story to tell of how Malcolm Marshall used to scare the hell out of batsmen or how elegant a batsman was Gundappa Vishwanath etc etc.
You're comparing apples to oranges here. The football horn sounds like a buzz. As if a giant bee is hovering around the stadium.No tune. No music. No nothing. The IPL horn has a fixed tune at least, though I admit it gets annoying after a while.
completely agree on that. The vuvuzela is the most annoying sound (or rather noise) I've ever heard.

I agree with OP upto certain extent.. but the whole IQ level generalization is going overboard.. Its amazing to see number of manchaster united logos you see on orkut/facebook etc... its a blind following but I guess when you are growing up in that environment, you have no choice but to follow the crowd even if you are not remotely connected to that team.. I also have a problem to 'WE' culture.. why that sense of belonging?

simbly speaking, it seems like Mariam's BF's footy obsession is driving her crazy. "Like, for reals yo, like, i wanted to talk about my feelings, and the FABulous gucci knock-offs i got near linking road, but he's just not interested! stupid low IQ boys and their stupid sports! bah humbug! "

simbly speaking' date=' it seems like Mariam's BF's footy obsession is driving her crazy. "Like, for reals yo, like, i wanted to talk about my feelings, and the FABulous gucci knock-offs i got near linking road, but he's just not interested! stupid low IQ boys and their stupid sports! bah humbug! "[/quote'] :laugh: :laugh: This thread does seem a little bit... strange. ps: I dont support any football team despite living in the UK so dont burn me.

simbly speaking' date=' it seems like Mariam's BF's footy obsession is driving her crazy. "Like, for reals yo, like, i wanted to talk about my feelings, and the FABulous gucci knock-offs i got near linking road, but he's just not interested! stupid low IQ boys and their stupid sports! bah humbug! "[/quote'] :hysterical:

simbly speaking' date=' it seems like Mariam's BF's footy obsession is driving her crazy. "Like, for reals yo, like, i wanted to talk about my feelings, and the FABulous gucci knock-offs i got near linking road, but he's just not interested! stupid low IQ boys and their stupid sports! bah humbug! "[/quote'] :--D

simbly speaking' date=' it seems like Mariam's BF's footy obsession is driving her crazy. "Like, for reals yo, like, i wanted to talk about my feelings, and the FABulous gucci knock-offs i got near linking road, but he's just not interested! stupid low IQ boys and their stupid sports! bah humbug! "[/quote'] Nail.on.the.head. :hysterical:

Awesome :hysterical: But totally agree with mariyam
NFL..I will watch it anyday over sleepfests like NZ-BD 5-match ODI series. For any sport following, ignorance has to be fought first. Agree Baseball is boring than the NZ-BD cricket series, but NFL is pretty exciting, lots ofs strategy plays go into the game exciting to watch. The effort that is put in is unimaginable. It is as good as a Rafa serve.

So out of the millions of Manchester United supporters' date=' only those who live in Manchester are true fans and everyone else is a bandwagoner/glory hunter? :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:[/quote'] well, if u wanna simplify it, then yes. manchester utd arent the only club in manchester. why would u support them and not, oh i dunno, bury fc. its because u want to support a successful club that wins stuff every season and is always on TV. isn't that true? it wouldnt be a big deal if u were watching the club since u were 12 or something and are very knowledgeable about them. but most of the indian wannabe losers arent like this. they have started following football for a few years, and adopt teams just to look cool and for the purpose of having a reason to talk **** at the bars. its a fashion statement, a FAD, not a real PASSION. simple as that. u couldnt care less about the football, why would u, u arent from manchester or london, the club isnt really a part of your life like it is for others. you losers havent even watched your adopted teams playing live. LOL. to the guy that said something about IPL teams. yeah, u arent from the city of the IPL team, but at the very least, u are still an indian supporting a team with indian players. thats still a more significant connection than being a complete nobody from nowhere following a team that has nothing to do with them. i dunno about the IQ thing (personally, i think Mariam is jerking u fools around and having fun laughing at your sensitive reactions) but the whole gloryhunting thing that she is talking about is totally spot on. finally, :finger::finger::finger::finger::finger::finger: