Why does everyone want to silence ICF ?

Blue mania across our country Published: Friday, Feb 25, 2011, 0:41 IST | Updated: Friday, Feb 25, 2011, 0:49 IST By Suresh Menon | Place: Mumbai | Agency: DNA India is not a country of one billion cricket lovers as the media put it so glibly. It is not the game that rules, but the players and the paraphernalia around it. The national team has its supporters, but few will cross the road to watch the same players in a Ranji Trophy game. Those keen on discovering trends in the World Cup tend to focus on the game. Will it be spinners? Will the influence of Twenty20 be apparent? What roles will captains play? When the dots are joined, they will present the picture of the 2011 World Cup — and be spoken of as part of the evolution of the game. But even in the early days of this tournament, one trend noticeable in recent years is being reinforced. The Indian spectator’s attitude towards players from outside their own 15. The arrogance of the cricket board which knows that it holds the purse strings of world cricket, the marketability of the stars and the country’s position as a leading cricketing nation seem to have percolated down to the spectator who refuses to see anything beyond India or to appreciate anything done by a non-Indian player. Or perhaps there is another reason. Just bad manners. Sometimes, Occam’s Razor (when the simplest explanation is the right one) applies here too. At any rate, it underlines the essential disconnect of the Indian spectator from the game itself. He expects victory, cannot tolerate defeat, and given a choice would rather watch Ashish Nehra make 20 runs than Muttiah Muralitharan take five wickets. The attitude spills over to the television commentary too. Indian batsmen are “unfortunately run outâ€, while an Australian bowler is “lucky†to dismiss Virender Sehwag. Sociologists will talk about all this being a reflection of society in general, about the aggressive in-your-face attitude that defines the modern youngster. But bad manners is bad manners, and a course in cricket appreciation would do no harm to the thousands who throng the stadiums when India play. In Bangalore, during the warm-up game against Australia, Ricky Ponting was picked out for special attention. He made a classy fifty, but even from the expensive seats, spectators showed their appreciation by calling him names and making obscene gestures. Ponting is the man they love to hate, especially after the ‘Monkeygate’ tour of Australia. Fifteen years ago, when the World Cup was last played in India, another great, Javed Miandad walked back after his last international innings to boos and catcalls. It was then seen as an aberration from a cultured crowd, but today we can see it for what it was. The beginning of a trend. A generation earlier, crowds, especially in the southern cities of Chennai and Bangalore, often startled a visiting batsman by applauding wildly when he crossed 25! Every boundary was lustily cheered. Today, a poetic description of the expression ‘angry silence’ would be a stadium holding 50,000 people reacting to a boundary hit by a visiting batsman. A classy cover drive by a Ponting or a Jacques Kallis might be the cricketing version of throwing pearls before swine. Crowds have got subtler, the charitable might think, till they hear the raucous reaction to an inner-edged boundary by a bemused Munaf Patel. Money, ranking, marketability are all fine, but till the crowds have the self-confidence to cheer a rival, till they feel secure in their support of the national team that does not include jeering the opposition, there will always be a feeling that something does not fit. If this World Cup changes the spectator attitude, that will be a real victory.

errrrrrrrrrr..nobody dislikes your team..they are the most entertaining & aggressive cricket teams in world cricket today...your team is a treat to watch..there are only a couple of arrogant dicks like bajan & Yuvraj... but for sheer batting entertainment & talent, your team is leagues above the rest.. BUT instead Everybody hates you lot..the arrogant indian cricket fans... the aussie team was disliked way more than their fans, because of their arrogance.. specially the captain Ponting... but in here its different.. You lot are the most arrogant, *****holish cricket fans today..the way you demean other teams & the way you treat all other players of other countries & their fans is pathetic & sad..I've seen how u treat some of the Bangla fans who dares to voice their opinions here so because of u lot & your media, its a highly satisfying day for all non indian fans when the indian team looses once in a while... its nothing much to do with your team but specialy your media & u lot :winky:
Have to say i agree. As an India and an England fan, i have to say that Indian cricket fans share the same sort of arrogance as English football fans. Some of the arrogance of some fans on this website is an absolute joke. We are too quick to defend our players and blow their trumpet while at other times we belittle opposition players. i have to admit they are a lot happier to praise Indian players than we are to praise Pakistani players.

^ So which Pakistani players in the current set up don't get their due on ICF generally - forget about the few extreme views? Fact is there is very little to praise in Pakistan cricket as of today. Probably Younis Khan is the only player who not only performs, but also carries himself with dignity. And I can't remember any needless criticism or slander on him. The rest are either poor to mediocre players, cheats in all flavors, mercenaries, downright racists, or a combination of these. Which player from Pakistan do you want to see praised on ICF? From the older generations there are numerous threads praising the likes of Imran, Waqar, and Akram.

^ So which Pakistani players in the current set up don't get their due on ICF generally - forget about the few extreme views? Fact is there is very little to praise in Pakistan cricket as of today. Probably Younis Khan is the only player who not only performs, but also carries himself with dignity. And I can't remember any needless criticism or slander on him. The rest are either poor to mediocre players, cheats in all flavors, mercenaries, downright racists, or a combination of these. Which player from Pakistan do you want to see praised on ICF? From the older generations there are numerous threads praising the likes of Imran, Waqar, and Akram.
It is just something i have noticed. The only thing i can think of is someone made a thread to say how Imran Khan failed to take wickets in the 2nd innings of matches in the last few years. Whereas i have to say that Pakistani's give the likes of Tendulkar a lot more praise. The only Indian player i have seen them slate a bit is Kapil Dev, they do like to say he is nothing compared to Imran Khan. My point is that we do have a lot of arrogant fans and i can see why people want to silence us. People like Serani get slated for being a troll (for good reason sometimes) BUT i think some of his posts are in response to some of our arrogant fans. What do you mean by racist? Are you talking about Sohail Tanvir? (just curious btw not trying to say they aren't racist)

indians can say wht they like. india is the best cricket team in the world, our players are the best around. the team plays the kind of entertaining cricket others arent capable of. they win almost every series they play. there is no need to apologise for any of these things. if all these fans of sh/tty countries dont like hearing indians rightfully talking up their team, then they are the ones that have a problem, not us. especially pakis, and some sri lankans, bhaanglalaldeshis. go **** yourselves, u are nothing. re: OP. its funny to hear the english talk. altho in a way, it reflects their desperation to beat india in a big game. u cant blame them for that, they have lost their last two series in india 5-1 and 5-0. not surprising to hear this from a loser like nasser hussain, he still feels the pain of watching his english side getting screwed numerous times by saurav ganguly's india.

errrrrrrrrrr..nobody dislikes your team..they are the most entertaining & aggressive cricket teams in world cricket today...your team is a treat to watch..there are only a couple of arrogant dicks like bajan & Yuvraj... but for sheer batting entertainment & talent, your team is leagues above the rest.. BUT instead Everybody hates you lot..the arrogant indian cricket fans... the aussie team was disliked way more than their fans, because of their arrogance.. specially the captain Ponting... but in here its different.. You lot are the most arrogant, *****holish cricket fans today..the way you demean other teams & the way you treat all other players of other countries & their fans is pathetic & sad..I've seen how u treat some of the Bangla fans who dares to voice their opinions here so because of u lot & your media, its a highly satisfying day for all non indian fans when the indian team looses once in a while... its nothing much to do with your team but specialy your media & u lot :winky:
lol :haha: As if other fans are any different. You only have to visit other cricket fan forums, including B'desh cricket forum, to see the truth. As for me I'm least bothered what other teams' "fans" think about my team. For all I care they can pray all they want to see India lose or party all night if India does lose :finger:
It is just something i have noticed. The only thing i can think of is someone made a thread to say how Imran Khan failed to take wickets in the 2nd innings of matches in the last few years. Whereas i have to say that Pakistani's give the likes of Tendulkar a lot more praise. The only Indian player i have seen them slate a bit is Kapil Dev, they do like to say he is nothing compared to Imran Khan. My point is that we do have a lot of arrogant fans and i can see why people want to silence us. People like Serani get slated for being a troll (for good reason sometimes) BUT i think some of his posts are in response to some of our arrogant fans. What do you mean by racist? Are you talking about Sohail Tanvir? (just curious btw not trying to say they aren't racist)
I don't want to get into a discussion about other forums because it's against ICF policy to give them needless bandwidth and I hardly spend time on any other forum besides ICF. But my older experience tells me something different from what you are saying. But yeah, I agree there is a certain section of Indian fans who are arrogant though I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a disproportionately larger percentage than fans of any other country. Yeah, I was referring to Sohail 'Zehaniyat' Tanvir.
are you kidding me ? no one hates Tendulkar more than Pakistanis . isnt Inzy supposed to be a better batsmen than Sachin ?
lol we are hardly as dominant as the 90s Aussies :D We are getting there :cool: It is an awesome thing when everyone wants us to lose :yay:
No one actually wanted the Aussies to lose when they were dominant. But everyone wants India to lose, main reason, Indian fans are really arrogant, we get in their faces after we beat them:--D put salt into their wounds When Gough tweeted something, some 100+ Indian fans cussed him out on tweeter. :hysterical:
yes the fans support their team...they are biased towards their team..but not like the Indian Fans.. even when you go to the respective country's forums u see this.. the utter demeaning way most of the fans here put cricketers from other countries is a new low...u may not even agree with me that u r doing this..but u r... so there will be more hate from other fans exactly because of this...but the Aussies took it well & didnt giv a ***** & was on top for ages...so why should u ?
Where does this Supreme Court attitude come from ? You suck, you will say you don't but i said otherwise and hence its right :hmmmm2: @ topic, We certainly can do better than present by at least not bombarding twitter/cricinfo when we disagree with someone. The crowds in the stadiums could behave better as well. As for the forums, come on, we're no worse than the neighborhood.