Sachin's centuries and India's defeats.

More than today's match loss, it was plain disappointing to see Sachin haters dishing the usual ignorant tripe about how India loses every time he scores a century. After years of unsuccessfully searching for reasons to put down Sachin’s record because of his 21 year career at the pinnacle of cricket, uncontroversial career and humble image, the haters have settled for frivolous reasons like Sachin’s centuries being unlucky for India. To firmly discredit such irrational theories being floated, I dug up some stats to determine if there is truly a corelation between Sachin’s centuries and India’s defeats. My stats dont contain the world cup data so its behind by 3 matches. Lets do the Simplest math first: India has won 33 times out of 45 (73.33%) when Sachin has scored a century. Two of the matches had ended up in no result It is notable that Sachin scored more than 45% of the entire team’s runs on 9 of these 12 occasions that India lost. So In effect he was carrying the whole batting alone. And there were only 3 occasions chasing where he was expected to get India home. But an overwhelming majority of 9 times, India was the team batting first and the bowlers were unable to defend targets ranging from 328 to 224 Saching_Centuries.png The next reason touted is that Sachin bats too slow to get to his century. This is also not true. 10 times out of 12, Sachin scored at a strike rate of 80 or above. 8 times out of 12, the Strike rate was 90+. When chasing, Sachin’s centuries have come at more than a run a ball. sachin_strikerate.png Next is the run rate, out of the 12 occasions for 4 Sachin carried his bat throught the innings, and pretty much made sure the team reached a decent total. On the other 8 occasions, there is only .5 increase in run rate after Sachin lost his wicket to the match run rate. Even this increase can be attributed to the aggressive batting in the death overs. During chasing under pressure, there is actually a dip after Sachin loses his wicket showing the inability of following batsmen to handle pressure. Sachin_runrate.png There are a lot of other stats that can be displayed to reinforce this fact, eg the Indian’s bowlers economy rate or the misfields and dropped catches by the fielders. Cricket is a team game and it takes more than one player to win a match for a country. An individual brilliant performance can only do so much to get a team near victory, but it takes the rest of the team to also chip to cross the finish line. Its about time, few of us stop blaming one individual for the mistakes of 10 others.

Why are you guys always justifying Sachin Tendulkar? Don't be like those churches that bombard people with biblical quotes every second and seperate public into believers and non-believers. Sachin has most number of runs in both formats, most 100s and 50s in both format and is a living lenged. Why is there a need to justify his commitments or runs? Next thing, another troll will crop up and say why he hasn't won a world cup as if this is an individual sport like golf or tennis. You can't go on justifying every question raised against Tendulkar. If one doesn't believe in his runs, then it's their problem.

Nor sure that you need to post such stats. What are they meant to prove? Tendulkar is an absolute freak. FFS, he scores hundreds for fun and has collared attacks in every part of the world for 20 years. I've watched cricket in most parts of the world and anyone who understand the game knows what a ledge he is. I'm excited about watching him play this summer like every other English fan.

Why are you guys always justifying Sachin Tendulkar? Don't be like those churches that bombard people with biblical quotes every second and seperate public into believers and non-believers. Sachin has most number of runs in both formats, most 100s and 50s in both format and is a living lenged. Why is there a need to justify his commitments or runs? Next thing, another troll will crop up and say why he hasn't won a world cup as if this is an individual sport like golf or tennis. You can't go on justifying every question raised against Tendulkar. If one doesn't believe in his runs, then it's their problem.
I understand where you are coming from, but my purpose wasnt really to justify Sachin or defend him. Its a free world and everyone is entitled to their opinion. If someone doesnt like Sachin, then he has the right not to do so. My issue was with statements like "Whenever Sachin makes a century, India loses" or "Sachin plays for records" or "Sachin plays slowly when getting to a century". All these statements are absolutely untrue. Everyone can have an opinion, but they shouldnt use made up facts to justify that opinion.
I understand where you are coming from, but my purpose wasnt really to justify Sachin or defend him. Its a free world and everyone is entitled to their opinion. If someone doesnt like Sachin, then he has the right not to do so. My issue was with statements like "Whenever Sachin makes a century, India loses" or "Sachin plays for records" or "Sachin plays slowly when getting to a century". All these statements are absolutely untrue. Everyone can have an opinion, but they shouldnt use made up facts to justify that opinion.
They just do that to piss you folks off, that's the bottom line. I don't reckon they truly believe in what they state but on public forums like this they try and rile up a few posters for fun.

Those who actually watch him play agree how special his innings are. Those who don't see him play and only look at the stats can say he plays for stats but that is like saying that a man toils to earn money not for his family but just so that he can see his bank balance grow.

More than today's match loss, it was plain disappointing to see Sachin haters dishing the usual ignorant tripe about how India loses every time he scores a century. After years of unsuccessfully searching for reasons to put down Sachin’s record because of his 21 year career at the pinnacle of cricket, uncontroversial career and humble image, the haters have settled for frivolous reasons like Sachin’s centuries being unlucky for India. To firmly discredit such irrational theories being floated, I dug up some stats to determine if there is truly a corelation between Sachin’s centuries and India’s defeats. My stats dont contain the world cup data so its behind by 3 matches. Lets do the Simplest math first: India has won 33 times out of 45 (73.33%) when Sachin has scored a century. Two of the matches had ended up in no result It is notable that Sachin scored more than 45% of the entire team’s runs on 9 of these 12 occasions that India lost. So In effect he was carrying the whole batting alone. And there were only 3 occasions chasing where he was expected to get India home. But an overwhelming majority of 9 times, India was the team batting first and the bowlers were unable to defend targets ranging from 328 to 224 Saching_Centuries.png The next reason touted is that Sachin bats too slow to get to his century. This is also not true. 10 times out of 12, Sachin scored at a strike rate of 80 or above. 8 times out of 12, the Strike rate was 90+. When chasing, Sachin’s centuries have come at more than a run a ball. sachin_strikerate.png Next is the run rate, out of the 12 occasions for 4 Sachin carried his bat throught the innings, and pretty much made sure the team reached a decent total. On the other 8 occasions, there is only .5 increase in run rate after Sachin lost his wicket to the match run rate. Even this increase can be attributed to the aggressive batting in the death overs. During chasing under pressure, there is actually a dip after Sachin loses his wicket showing the inability of following batsmen to handle pressure. Sachin_runrate.png There are a lot of other stats that can be displayed to reinforce this fact, eg the Indian’s bowlers economy rate or the misfields and dropped catches by the fielders. Cricket is a team game and it takes more than one player to win a match for a country. An individual brilliant performance can only do so much to get a team near victory, but it takes the rest of the team to also chip to cross the finish line. Its about time, few of us stop blaming one individual for the mistakes of 10 others.
Hmm... your stats are impressive. But don't think that only his detractors say that "When SRT scores centuries, India loses." I've heard this statement quite often from many people otherwise great admirers of SRT. Your stats seem irrefutable and I'm too lazy to take interest in stats, but I have a strong suspicion that stats don't give the complete picture. I've heard this statement from so many people..... I'm sure many here also have ..... they can't all be wrong. They may not have all the stats on their fingertips like you, but they must be consciously or unconsciously perceiving something which mere stats don't show. Now, what could this be ? Its a really interesting puzzle ! On one hand we have your seemingly irrefutable facts and on the other we have this perception/conclusion of many ordinary, sensible people. Are you ABSOLUTELY right and everyone else who says that statement ABSOLUTELY wrong ? Is there is a possibility that your stats only show PART of the picture ? Is there a possibility that people who make that statement are FACTUALLY wrong but in someway partially correct because what they are actually trying to say is that Sachin usually makes his centuries in relatively insignificant matches.... when India REALLY needs a big score from him in a CRUNCH MATCH, he quite often, but not always, doesn't come through ! Why did many people get a bad feeling that India would lose the match while watching Sachin score his century yesterday ?....... to be proved right to their dismay, myself included ? To give you a small example of how stats don't give the full picture, consider this:- Ganeshran gave impressive stats of Sachin's strike rate of 80 and above.... but some friends told me that in Sachin's century yesterday, first 50 came in 33 balls and second 50 took 60 balls. Did the bowlers who he was smashing during his first 50 suddenly become more aggressive and dangerous during his second 50 ? Wasn't he guilty of playing for records and not for his Team ? I know lots of players are like that, but if many people consider him GOD, shouldn't he be at least slightly different from others ? Why did he throw away his wicket to a rash shot soon after his century, when the situation demanded that he try to stay till the end after batting for so many overs ? I don't know, I'm no pro like you guys, but isn't it possible that his sudden slowdown puts a little more pressure on the other batsmen, causing them to make rash shots ? Maybe I'm wrong, but the general feeling seeps in that SRT is basically playing for himself and the Team comes a distant second. Now, try not to bash me too much:winky: but I'm sincerely trying to get to the bottom of the reasoning for this oft-repeated statement by many ordinary people .

@OP I haven't seen one thread or post on ICF blaming Tendulkar for the loss. No need to justify or defend him. The guy has 99 intl hundreds for crying out loud! How can anyone in his/her right mind question such a player? As 'theanalyst' and 'King' have pointed out most of the ppl who take shots at Tendulkar either don't understand cricket or are simply here to rile you up. Maybe ppl "green" with envy could also play a little part in the equation :winky:

i dont know why i am tempted to comment on this thread inspite of knowing how much bashing one receives when making any comment a bout Sachin which is not necessarily in praise of him. all i want to tell is, when Sachinmakes a century and India wins, all the sachin fan boys make it appear like the match was won only because of him, forgetting that its a team sport and there were other payers who also playd a part in the win. no other performNCE by any other indian in the match will be appreciated and will be convenietly swept under the carpet. whereas if india loses where sachin scores big, they will be claiming that its a team sport, only one man cannot win the game, others should show more spine etc. either they should stop discrediting other performers or they should man up and accept its always a team sport always and when india wins on the back of a sachin century, there were other players too who pitchd in with fifties and 2/3 wickets

i dont know why i am tempted to comment on this thread inspite of knowing how much bashing one receives when making any comment a bout Sachin which is not necessarily in praise of him. all i want to tell is, when Sachinmakes a century and India wins, all the sachin fan boys make it appear like the match was won only because of him, forgetting that its a team sport and there were other payers who also playd a part in the win. no other performNCE by any other indian in the match will be appreciated and will be convenietly swept under the carpet. whereas if india loses where sachin scores big, they will be claiming that its a team sport, only one man cannot win the game, others should show more spine etc. either they should stop discrediting other performers or they should man up and accept its always a team sport always and when india wins on the back of a sachin century, there were other players too who pitchd in with fifties and 2/3 wickets
You make a fair comment and the truth generally has shades of gray and not just black or white. Sachin may get praised too much for a win and may have a few faults but overall I would be happy to have a guy who has scored 99 intl 100s in my team.

I think the OP got confused between the two forums he visits regularly and posted this uncalled for justification here wrongly. When you grow up further, you will realise that trying to silence people who talk ill for the sake of it is futile and ignoring them is your best answer. Then there are dudes like adamant_delhi, who just won't accept he has been pawned regarldless of how many people pawn him. He will keep repeating his 'perception' as facts and try to justify no matter how clearly you explain him. He is just not man enough to admit he made a wrong statement. I haven't seen it once in any thread where he has been pawned. Again he will muster courage to do that when he grows up a bit more.

I think the OP got confused between the two forums he visits regularly and posted this uncalled for justification here wrongly. When you grow up further, you will realise that trying to silence people who talk for the sake of it is futile and ignoring them is your best answer. Then there are dudes like adamant_delhi, who just won't accept he has been pawned regarldless of how many people pawn him. He will keep repeating his 'perception' as facts and try to justify no matter how clearly you explain him. He is just not man enough to admit he made a wrong statement. I haven't seen it once in any thread where he has been pawned. Again he will muster courage to do that when he grows up a bit more.
wow... what an idiotic post!! thanks for giving me the idea of ignoring you!!

For me it's not just his 100s. His commitment on the field..I really felt for the guy, at the age of 37, toiling hard in the thirdman region. He was running from one end to another end and ever tried to throe the ball in 'one action - pick, turn & throw' which was pretty difficult while watching, don't know how much effort it took for him. That too after his batting. He gave everything. I saw him fielding in the gully and was actually pissed off at himself for failing to stop a cheeky single..That was the level of commitment form him at the age of 37+ years. And we have people discussing 70% or 85% win/loss ratio, FFS.. I request to Team India is to please give atleast the same level of commitment if not more and that includes the captain and captaincy too..