The last group game: Ind vs WI pre-match talk

mastana

The last group game: Ind vs WI pre-match talk  

1. 1.

• India will win
    • West Indies will win

@ analyst why is KP despised sometimes i feel that he gets unnecessary criticizm
I get the feeling he is overrated by Indian fans. I was shocked when I saw some of the comments on Cricinfo written by Indian fans. Simple fact is that he hasn't performed in this format for a LONG time now. He was dropped before the Australian ODIs. His injury is great news for the team. Apparently, even his team mates were happy that he was out and Morgan was coming in. Not surprising since he isn't popular in this team or any team that he has played in. In any case, after the WC our team is likely to be changed. Cook will replace Strauss as captain. KP and Colly might not be picked again/might retire.

Underestimate Windies at your own peril! They are capable of beating any team in the competition and we're not playing any special cricket to be guaranteed of a "comfortable" win. Like yoda said, since we are almost through to QF, there's no need for us to be too nervous about the result.

I get the feeling he is overrated by Indian fans. I was shocked when I saw some of the comments on Cricinfo written by Indian fans. Simple fact is that he hasn't performed in this format for a LONG time now. He was dropped before the Australian ODIs. His injury is great news for the team. Apparently, even his team mates were happy that he was out and Morgan was coming in. Not surprising since he isn't popular in this team or any team that he has played in. In any case, after the WC our team is likely to be changed. Cook will replace Strauss as captain. KP and Colly might not be picked again/might retire.
No matter what KP's attitude, he is a game-changer and a dangerous player. Morgan may be a decent player but he's unlikely to instill the same amount of fear in the opposing camp as KP can. Without KP I fail to see a batsman who can win the game on his own or play a whirlwind knock a la Pollard, Pathan, Sehwag, Gayle. Just because KP is not popular with his team-mates doesn't mean he's not a match-winner.
To be fair, the comments by Indian fans on Cricinfo tend to be shocking regardless :hysterical: Here at ICF is where the real Indian cricket fans are :icflove:
Not sure why Cricinfo decided to open up the comments section. It's a pretty recent addition. The moderation is shocking as well. Too much of rubbish and hate. I don't read the comments anymore.
Guest prince

Quick Fix for Team India India's defeat against the formidable South Africans in a Group match of the ICC World Cup 2011 should not be cause for alarm bells to ring at this stage of the tournament. Team India has all but qualified for the Quarter Finals but they do need to take remedial measures in order to ensure that they hold their own in the crucial matches ahead.

The following five steps should make the Indian team quite unbeatable as the World Cup reaches a climax in the days ahead: 1. Play Raina instead of Pathan: Suresh Raina is a quality batsman, a superb fielder, he can hit sixes, and he has been one of India's mainstays in the limited overs formats of the game in recent years. His batting abilities are such that he can hit the spinners as well as the pacemen out of the attack in no time. He has been found wanting against the short ball overseas but on Indian pitches he should certainly be in the playing XI. Yusuf Pathan is the cleanest hitter of the cricket ball today but his value to the team as an all-rounder is not much. His bowling has been used for only a few overs per match by MS Dhoni and he is not as agile a fielder as Raina is. 2. Play Ashwin instead of Munaf Ramachandra Ashwin needs to be in the side as soon as possible. Team India needs to play its two best spinners in all matches. Ashwin along with Harbhajan Singh would form a potent spin attack even though both are off spinners. Yuvraj Singh provides variety with his effective left-armers and even Raina can bowl a few overs. Munaf Patel is too predictable with his line and length and would suffer against quality batsmen. Even against the South Africans, his last over went for many runs. Though Ashish Nehra was also easily put away by the impressive Robin Peterson in the last over, he is a more effective and experienced bowler than Patel and should be retained. 3. Use the batting Power Play from overs 15 to 20: When the ball is hard it is easier to hit to the boundary and in Indian conditions it does not swing much. India should take the batting Power Play upfront in the innings and not towards the end when most teams have floundered, as did India, by trying to hit too many sixes. The manner in which the electric Virender Sehwag and the outstanding Sachin Tendulkar took apart the pacy South African attack was breath-taking to watch. Tendulkar's straight drive off Morne Morkel and his pull for six off a Dale Steyn bouncer were enough to bring out the goose pimples. In any case, given India's batting might, sixes would be hit even when there is no Power Play in the slog overs. 4. Do NOT shuffle the batting order: India has been sending Pathan up the order off late but the move has not worked at all. It is quite clear that the capabilities of Pathan lie down the order. And if Raina does come in for Pathan there would still be merit in sticking to the same order with Virat Kohli at number 4 and Suresh Raina at number 7. In this manner every batsman would be able to play to his strengths and the likes of Yuvraj, Dhoni and Raina can go ballistic in the second half of the innings. 5. Play with fire in the belly and minimise pressure: This is easier said than done, but Team India does need to be fired up and mentally strong in the matches to come. The pressure of a World Cup does get to everyone, but the team that wins it is the one that keeps its cool when the chips are down. Determination and a calm mind-set would win the Cup for India, for its players clearly have more ability than any other team's in this tournament. All in all, if India plays with passion, minimises chinks in its batting and bowls to a plan in the remaining matches of the Cup, skipper MS Dhoni might well be the one to hold aloft the trophy at Mumbai after the final.
http://cricketnext.in.com/blogs/vivekatray/2813/62280/quick-fix-for-team-india.html
No matter what KP's attitude' date= he is a game-changer and a dangerous player. Morgan may be a decent player but he's unlikely to instill the same amount of fear in the opposing camp as KP can. Without KP I fail to see a batsman who can win the game on his own or play a whirlwind knock a la Pollard, Pathan, Sehwag, Gayle. Just because KP is not popular with his team-mates doesn't mean he's not a match-winner.
Please look at the entire post. His recent record is shocking (not even bad). That is the main issue. You obviously don't watch English cricket. The point about his popularity is a different issue.

Don't agree with points 1 and 3. Pathan is a must have at no. 7 and he would have been fine if we had followed point 4 (Don't mess with the batting order). And you can't take power-play from overs 15-20. What if we lose wkt or two in the powerplay? We risk putting up a decent total on the borad. Best time to evaluate taking batting power-play is when the ball is changed (34 overs mark). If wkts in hand take the power-play then else defer it to around 42-43 over mark.

@analyst I know that K.P has done much better in test matches than O.D.I format but didnt he denied the retirement rumour and regarding his unpopularity I remember reading an article in which him and Yuvraj were bashed that they have huge ego problem K.P had commented that he relinquished the captaincy due to which we won the ashes abt which the English media seemed unhappy even Nas had a go at him during commentary during India-England and England-Ireland game that K.P should learn from Sachin that how he is giving the strike to Yuvraj when he is not able to connect and how K.P would have been its all about me and the next game too he was laying into K.P that how tries to be too cute when he plays the sweep shot or something like that when K.O.B was smashing it

Please look at the entire post. His recent record is shocking (not even bad). That is the main issue. You obviously don't watch English cricket. The point about his popularity is a different issue.
His recent record may be pretty poor but I believe in the adage "Form is temporary, class is permanent". Before the world cup,and the Eng game, if someone had asked me which Eng batsman would I want to see get out cheaply, my answer would have been KP.
Have a plan B.Dhoni(and Kirsten) are strictly a one dimensional thinkers.He cannot adapt if the opposition throws a wrench in his plan A.This world cup has pretty much shown that he cannot think on his feet and most of his "intuitions " have come up well short.
Don't agree Dhoni is too rigid in his thinking. He makes some tough calls which go in his favor some times and don't in the other. Let's wait and watch the rest of the tourney before passing judgement.
You gotta be kidding me' date=' no freakin way, already 30 million at stake, nah uh[/quote'] I'm not kidding. Like danra (Sachdan) says - Under estimate WI at your own peril. They are fighters and they have a lot of flair but inconsistent. In a way, our team is currently similar except that we have Sachin! In Sachin, our team trusts. But thats just one player. The rest can blow hot, blow cold. Windies are very inconsistent, so hopefully India should over power them. However, if Gayle or Bravo or Pollard get up on the right side of the bed, its a different story altogether. And Sehwag should play Roach carefully for first 5-7 overs.

Though one other thing - while we are all talking about Gayle and Pollard, lets not forget Chanders and Sarwan. Those two may play crap against other teams, but somehow against India - they will transform! Never under estimate the Chanders-Sarwan pair against us. India has a knack of bringing such players into good form :((