Fav Indian cities

Mariyam

As I said, it's not really a city I would expect an outsider to like. You have to grow up there to really understand it with all it's subtle flavors. But yeah, newer Lucknow is just like any other mid size Indian city. However, in old Lucknow a lot of the language and lifestyle are still very much intact. Right from patangbaazi to shaam-e-awadh - basically indulging in one meandering pastime after another. Even for most people from my generation, having some rum and biriyani in the evening with a couple of friends is more important than opening up the shop for the extra two hours or working overtime in office to get the next promotion. And speaking of food, there are some absolute fanatics - a friend of mine got married last time I was there and the menu had some 35 types of kabaabs.
Talking of food, there's also the very famous Lucknow ki chaat, khasta & kachoris, kulfi along with the very wide variety of non veg food available - and in non veg there's Biryani along with Kebabs. Another thing is that at least the new city is relatively clean and has good roads. Lucknow is also fast becoming the education hub of this part of the country with a large number of colleges.

what is about a "clean city"? i haven't found one city in india to be remotely close to clean...to me it would be something like paris... first you need proper garbage dumps within yards and people to have a culture of folllowing it...neither is at present in indian cities and even the main posh roads have garbage
Chandigarh is pretty clean.

what is about a "clean city"? i haven't found one city in india to be remotely close to clean...to me it would be something like paris... first you need proper garbage dumps within yards and people to have a culture of folllowing it...neither is at present in indian cities and even the main posh roads have garbage
Yeah I also believe the clean city thing doesn't exists. But relatively yes, one can do an assessment. In terms of cleanliness Mumbai is awful.

At least we don't have bal thackeray,raj and mariyam ! no major riots since 1965...can we say the same about your underworld infested area? :winky:
I don't know about all that. However, a very good way to gauge the value of a city is to see how frequently terrorists target it. Mumbai has been a target multiple times, so has Delhi.Jaipur, Ahmedabad, Varanasi, Pune and even Malegaon and Jalgaon have been targets too. But even the terrorists do not consider Chennai worth their time. That says a lot. Within the state of TN also, Chennai is not on top of the hit list. Coimbatore comes before. :D
Which 'main posh' roads are you talking about? :confused: Paris is clean? It has so many French people. Off topic: What is this fixation people have with European cities as some sort of clean romantic places? I found Paris neither romantic nor clean. Whats so romantic about a big steel tower? And Venice is the dirtiest city I've ever seen. The stench, the slimy water and rats everywhere. I could just go to the Mithi gutter river, near Vakola to get that feel. Why bother going to Venice. For the life of me, I can't understand why people call Venice romantic. Wallowing in filth is the European idea of romance?? Can't understand these low IQ football watching Europeans. :dontknow: Udaipur is 1000000x more romantic as a city than Venice.

Doesnt Mumbai have the biggest slums in the whole wide world. If this is the epitome of the best Indian city' date=' then God help India and Indians[/quote'] I am not sure I understand your point. I was asking for your favourite cities to live according to the parameters that matter to you. Mumbai having so many slums would never affect you ( directly), should you decide to live here. So why should it be an issue? If you stay in Mumbai, your daily life will probably not involve any interaction with slum dwellers at all. Also, at least in Mumbai, do not judge the affluence of the people by where they stay. Even those staying in small shanties can be rich. I remember reading in an India Today episode that Dharavi has more millionaires than the entire state of Kerala. You should also remember that anyone who has a 2 BHK flat in Mumbai is automatically a crorepati. :P And people here (judging by the posts on slums in Mumbai) are just dismissing slums & slum dwellers as some kind of unwanted flotsam of the society, which is quite insensitive. Most of these people are extremely hard working and competitive. Agreed that slums bring in a lot of problems, both in terms of crime and sharing of resources but the fact remains that these people choose to stay in these horrendous slums over whatever place they came from. That speaks volumes about the lack of opportunities, both economic and social in their respective hometowns. Sure I would like to stay in a Mumbai devoid of slums. But to say that Mumbai as a city loses out because it has so many slums is wrong. Give these people a break. Most of us have been born into well off families and have been fed with a silver spoon for all our lives. We didn't have to work and study at the same time. We didn't have to worry about the ceilings leaking when it rains. We didn't have to ration food between our siblings. We weren't the first ones to be affected in case of a riot or torrential rain. Maybe we shouldn't be so harsh on these people simply because the slums don't look aesthetic enough. Have a heart. If Oliver Twist is to be believed, even London had similar issues not too long ago. All developing cities and countries do. I am sure things will get better in the coming years. /* end of Neta mode

Paris is clean? It has so many French people. Off topic: What is this fixation people have with European cities as some sort of clean romantic places? I found Paris neither romantic nor clean. Whats so romantic about a big steel tower? And Venice is the dirtiest city I've ever seen. The stench, the slimy water and rats everywhere. I could just go to the Mithi gutter river, near Vakola to get that feel. Why bother going to Venice. For the life of me, I can't understand why people call Venice romantic. Wallowing in filth is the European idea of romance??
Did you see the Champs-Elysees and the Arc de Triomphe, or the cruises on the river Seine in the evening? As for the big steel tower - I agree with you, I really don't know how people find it romantic or fascinating.
Can't understand these low IQ football watching Europeans. :dontknow:
:headshake: :headshake:

Did you see the Champs-Elysees and the Arc de Triomphe, or the cruises on the river Seine in the evening? As for the big steel tower - I agree with you, I really don't know how people find it romantic or fascinating.
What about Triomph Arch? Its ok yaar. Its not that great or romantic or anything. The cruise was the only saving grace. Rest of it was boring ( at least for me). Louvre museum, my family chose to spend hours (over 2 days). I'm not that keen in the watching artefacts and paintings, so I was majorly bored at Le Louve. The perfume museum was ok. Lido show wasn't that much fun. Looks better on TV. Eurodisney was also very boring. We had a 3 day stop at Paris. Incidentally, the best thing about that 3 days stop was the visit to Versais (spelling) palace. That was the only thing I really enjoyed. But that is technically not even in Paris, but a few kms on the outskirts.
Romance comes from heart' date=' from company. Not from a city.[/quote'] :hatsoff: But then why are some cities termed as romantic cities? --------------------------------------------------- Back on topic, not many people have rated Kolkata. Wonder why?

What about Triomph Arch? Its ok yaar. Its not that great or romantic or anything. The cruise was the only saving grace. Rest of it was boring ( at least for me). Louvre museum, my family chose to spend hours (over 2 days). I'm not that keen in the watching artefacts and paintings, so I was majorly bored at Le Louve. The perfume museum was ok. Lido show wasn't that much fun. Looks better on TV. Eurodisney was also very boring. We had a 3 day stop at Paris. Incidentally, the best thing about that 3 days stop was the visit to Versais (spelling) palace. That was the only thing I really enjoyed. But that is technically not even in Paris, but a few kms on the outskirts.
It depends on person to person. People who are keen on art find the Louvre to be THE place to visit in Paris - its probably the best collection of paintings in the entire World, for others not interested in art however the Louvre can be quite a boring experience. IIRC Euro Disney is the biggest tourist attraction in the whole of Europe and usually people don't find it boring. And the Palace of Versailles in in Paris itself. ---------------------------------------------------
Back on topic, not many people have rated Kolkata. Wonder why?
way toooo much traffic, quite dirty and as some people have already mentioned, Bengalis are a bit too noisy and tend to keep to themselves, so tourists find it difficult in that city.

People who havent been to delhi in last 4-5 yrs, FYI, there has been a tremendous improvement in delhi in pollution levels( due to Delhi Metro, Converting diesel buses to CNG, shifting factories to outside the city), in cleanliness and in infrastructure( roads, flyovers, Malls, Multiplexes, parks etc).

People who havent been to delhi in last 4-5 yrs' date=' FYI, there has been a [b']tremendous improvement in delhi in pollution levels( due to Delhi Metro, Converting diesel buses to CNG, shifting factories to outside the city), in cleanliness and in infrastructure( roads, flyovers, Malls, Multiplexes, parks etc).
:agree: Delhi is one of the few cities that has actually changed for the better in the last few years. IMO The Metro has brought about a very big change in the city and even though Delhi has the largest number of cars in the country, the traffic is not half as bad as Bangalore or Kolkata. Also, Delhi has lots of greenery which contributes to decreasing pollution.

:agree: Delhi is one of the few cities that has actually changed for the better in the last few years. IMO The Metro has brought about a very big change in the city and even though Delhi has the largest number of cars in the country' date=' the traffic is not half as bad as Bangalore or Kolkata. Also, Delhi has lots of greenery which contributes to decreasing pollution.[/quote'] Earlier, when flying in to delhi n stepping out of the plane, one could clearly feel the heavy n polluted air n smokey skies . Nowadays its very light air n clear skies....the changes have worked remarkably well....

Earlier' date=' when flying in to delhi n stepping out of the plane, one could clearly feel the heavy n polluted air n smokey skies . Nowadays its very light air n clear skies....the changes have worked remarkably well....[/quote'] Plane se yaad aaya - the new terminal T3 is simply outstanding, though a bit too big for my liking. While all the people were criticising the CommonWealth Games left, right & centre, I think one thing that its done is to improve the overall infrastructure of Delhi - be it the T3 or the improvements in the railway station, the many new flyovers, new improved footpaths on pretty much all the major roads of the city among other things.

Plane se yaad aaya - the new terminal T3 is simply outstanding, though a bit too big for my liking. While all the people were criticising the CommonWealth Games left, right & centre, I think one thing that its done is to improve the overall infrastructure of Delhi - be it the T3 or the improvements in the railway station, the many new flyovers, new improved footpaths on pretty much all the major roads of the city among other things.
T3 is truly awesome.. didnt feel like the old dingy airport at all. Looks like an international airport now. :yay:

How can any city that doesn’t have a beach even be in contention? No beach = EPIC :fail: Where else can you go with your buddies at 6 am in the morning during the summer holidays and pretend to be jonty and dive around for catches? Where else can you play with the sea waves? Where else can you go as kid a and fly those cute little box-type kites, or take a ride in those numerous mini-rides, or shoot balloons with blanks or take pictures alongside the lifesize cut-outs of your favorite movie stars? Where else can you go taste those sizzling hot onion/potato/bell pepper bhajjis, soaked in steaming coconut chutney, with the strong scent of the sea breeze filling the air? Where else can you go if you need a moment of contemplation, with only solitude and the sound of the waves hitting the shores for company? Above all, where else can you possibly go to see couples of every shape and stripe, right from excited high school students to mature oldies, ‘indulge’ in themselves? :laugh: I am sorry, if your city doesn’t have a beach, I have news for you – You didn’t live in a city. It was just one big concrete jungle. :finger: