Anniversary

riwi999

Just want to remind everybody that today (14th March) is the 10th anniversary of the Laxman-Dravid partnership at Kolkata, 2000-01 series against Australia. This was the day in 2001 when India batted through the whole day without losing a wicket. That innings turned the series on its head and with Bhajji rising superbly to the occasion, the underdogs India not only levelled the series but went on to win it, thus sending Steve Waugh's mighty, almost invincible Aussie side back with a 1-2 series defeat. To me that series changed it all. Till then India had individual good performances but not quite the self-belief to be a world no.1. That series surprised everybody and sent a message that this was "new India", a team with not just individual stars but also the desire and capability to take on the very best. The very next year, India toured England and, though they did not win the series, they earned a lot of respect for themselves during that tour. It is difficult to forget Dravid's serene batting throughout the series and Ganguly-Sachin batting at Headingley. India's first tour to Pakistan in a long time (March-April 2004) was long-awaited and proved to be an extension of the team's belief in itself. For the first time, India won a series in Pakistan, this time riding on Sehwag's heroics, though Sachin, Dravid and even Balaji did their bit. Since then India has gone from strength to strength, though there has been the occasional blip. We've still not won a Test series in Australia or South Africa though we've come mighty close at least on two occasions in both countries. It does seem only a matter of time but it still has to happen. Maybe this winter in Australia? We've already won a series in England in 2007 and will hopefully retain that record when we tour this summer. But for me it all started on that 14th of March 2001. So I just want to remember today as the 10th anniversary of that day.