Whatmore new Indian coach

Re: Whatmore new Indian coach Wow... that sounds pretty good. No wonder he resigned right after the world cup debacle. It is possible he must have been hinted already about Chappell's ouster and was asked to take over.

Re: Whatmore new Indian coach Is this confirmed news yet? I have heard about it quite a bit recently but have not been able to trace it to some credible source. Not sure how much difference Whatmore can make really. Sure he has done wonders to SL and Bangla cricket but the problem with India is much different. Lets see how this one pans out. xx

Re: Whatmore new Indian coach Whatmore won't draw so much attention from the media for the simple reason he is low profile and isn't a legendary cricketer. The media will not get much tid bits from him either. From what I know he likes to speak but not as much as Chappell ;)

Re: Whatmore new Indian coach

I can handle stars: Whatmore May 17, 2007 16:47 IST Dav Whatmore, widely tipped to become India's next cricket coach, on Thursday said he was used to handling star players and was ready for the challenge if given an opportunity. "All I can say is I am ready for the challenge if the opportunity comes. I am as much ready to sink my teeth into the problems and find out a solution as the BCCI would want me to," Whatmore said on the eve of the first Test in Chittagong. Whatmore, whose contract with Bangladesh comes to an end after the current series, said he had a round of initial discussion with Indian team Cricket Manager Ravi Shastri and that he had replied in the affirmative. "I had a short discussion with Ravi about taking up the job of coaching India and I have said in the affirmative. The discussion centred around how interested I am. I am satisfied with the initial discussion. We are both satisfied," Whatmore said. He refused to divulge the details, saying "this is not for public consumption". Meanwhile, six top members of the BCCI, including its President Sharad Pawar and Secretary Niranjan Shah are slated to arrive in Chittagong on Saturday, and are expected to have discussions with Whatmore. The 53-year-old Australian, who coached Sri Lanka to the World Cup triumph in 1996 and guided Bangladesh to a good performance in the recent edition of the mega event, said he would have no problem handling the Indian stars. "It's a question of man-management and how far one wants to take ones career forward and I have to deal with them individually if and when the time comes," he said. Whatmore said he had handled stars as coach of Lancashire and Sri Lanka. "I have had star material always. When I coached Lancashire the first season was a disaster, but the second season was the best the county had in their entire cricketing history. And both the seasons they had nine of the England [images] team players in the side and three overseas players who were stars too. "Sri lanka had players like Arvinda De Silva, Arjuna Ranatunga and Asanka Gurusinghe. They were big stars in their country. But I never found it difficult to handle them. "What we tried to do was that the practice sessions were meaningful. The tactical part was taken care of. The team meetings were exciting and vibrant. I was not the only one talking. That's the whole idea." He said the Indian players needed to go about their task with a positive attitude. "I think what we need is positive attitude and a reassurance among the boys." On Bangladesh, he said the most difficult part of coaching the team was coping with frustration of making repeated mistakes. "They had a few good players when I took over. But then they were mediocre and I had to cope up with mediocrity. They were more reactive than being proactive."

Re: Whatmore new Indian coach I can handle stars: Whatmore May 17, 2007 16:47 IST Dav Whatmore, widely tipped to become India's next cricket coach, on Thursday said he was used to handling star players and was ready for the challenge if given an opportunity. "All I can say is I am ready for the challenge if the opportunity comes. I am as much ready to sink my teeth into the problems and find out a solution as the BCCI would want me to," Whatmore said on the eve of the first Test in Chittagong. Whatmore, whose contract with Bangladesh comes to an end after the current series, said he had a round of initial discussion with Indian team Cricket Manager Ravi Shastri and that he had replied in the affirmative. "I had a short discussion with Ravi about taking up the job of coaching India and I have said in the affirmative. The discussion centred around how interested I am. I am satisfied with the initial discussion. We are both satisfied," Whatmore said. He refused to divulge the details, saying "this is not for public consumption". Meanwhile, six top members of the BCCI, including its President Sharad Pawar and Secretary Niranjan Shah are slated to arrive in Chittagong on Saturday, and are expected to have discussions with Whatmore. The 53-year-old Australian, who coached Sri Lanka to the World Cup triumph in 1996 and guided Bangladesh to a good performance in the recent edition of the mega event, said he would have no problem handling the Indian stars. "It's a question of man-management and how far one wants to take ones career forward and I have to deal with them individually if and when the time comes," he said. Whatmore said he had handled stars as coach of Lancashire and Sri Lanka. "I have had star material always. When I coached Lancashire the first season was a disaster, but the second season was the best the county had in their entire cricketing history. And both the seasons they had nine of the England [images] team players in the side and three overseas players who were stars too. "Sri lanka had players like Arvinda De Silva, Arjuna Ranatunga and Asanka Gurusinghe. They were big stars in their country. But I never found it difficult to handle them. "What we tried to do was that the practice sessions were meaningful. The tactical part was taken care of. The team meetings were exciting and vibrant. I was not the only one talking. That's the whole idea." He said the Indian players needed to go about their task with a positive attitude. "I think what we need is positive attitude and a reassurance among the boys." On Bangladesh, he said the most difficult part of coaching the team was coping with frustration of making repeated mistakes. "They had a few good players when I took over. But then they were mediocre and I had to cope up with mediocrity. They were more reactive than being proactive."

Re: Whatmore new Indian coach He is decent experience on subcontinental pysche...He has worked with great boards like SL and Bangla. SLankan board will make BCCI look professionals. His ability to deal with them will be key. I would have wanted Moody..

Re: Whatmore new Indian coach India hope for more in Whatmore Vimal Kumar | CNN-IBN | Posted May 17, 2007 at 19:19 | Updated May 17, 2007 at 20:29 Chittagong: After a month of speculation, the wait is finally over. Outgoing Bangladesh coach Dav Whatmore has formally been approached to become India's next coach. Indian cricket manager Ravi Shastri spoke to him and the BCCI officials will be meeting him over the weekend. "Well, Ravi (Shastri) just confirmed that 'I would be happy' to have my name put forward as a candidate. That's the start and the end of it. Whether anything materialises from that is just left to be seen and on my part, strictly confidential," Whatmore told CNN-IBN's Vimal Kumar in Chittagong on Wednesday. In another two weeks, Whatmore's contract with the Bangladesh team expires. And as the hunt for the next Indian coach gains momentum, he is emerging to be the No. 1 candidate. Meanwhile, BCCI President Sharad Pawar's visit to Bangladesh on Saturday to watch the first Test now seems strategically poised. li>Whatmore, whose coaching experience in the sub-continent spans over a decade, masterminded Sri Lanka's famous World Cup win in 1996. His greatest challenge came in 2003, when was appopinted as the Bangladesh's coach and four years later, Bangladesh rubbed shoulders with the big boys in the Super Eights of the 2007 World Cup. But coaching India is a different ball game, and the 53-year-old Australian is aware of that. "It's a situation where geographically players are dispersed by a greater distance. And to get to them, is going to be totally different to having access to the players that I had in Sri Lanka, in Bangladesh, who are based in Dhaka," Whatmore says. If Sri Lanka and Bangladesh are the examples to go by, a turnaround in Indian cricket may just be on the cards. With each passing day, Dav Whatmore's ambitions to coach Team India seems coming to be closer to fulfilment. Now India will hope that if Whatmore indeed get the job, he guides them to a World Cup victory in 2011, just like he did with Sri Lanka in 1996.