The Saffies dont wear no.5 on their shirts...

Sooda

You all probably know this but I just found out...heres why... --------- Why does no-one in the current South African one-day team wear the number 5 on their shirt? In recent games I've seen Herschelle Gibbs wearing "05" and Ashwell Prince with "5+0". What's the reason for this? asked Vince from Sri Lanka I thought this was something to do with Hansie Cronje, the disgraced former captain, who usually wore the number 5 on his shirt (in the 1999 World Cup in England, he was the only one of the 12 team captains who didn't wear No. 1). I checked with the South African broadcaster and journalist Neil Manthorp, and he confirms: "Quite right, Steven. Originally it was meant as a mark of respect from the many players who played alongside Cronje, although, ironically, there are now far more players who regard the number 5 as tainted or even cursed. I think it will be a good few years before we see another South African wearing number 5."

Re: The Saffies dont wear no.5 on their shirts... IIRC Cricket SA actually deny the use of no. 5 as player number. Prince (and may be Gibbs, though I haven't noticed him with 05) is a well known Hansie devotee and wanted #5 as a tribute to his hero, which was denied, hence the 5+0.