Poll:1 in 4 younger U.S. Muslims support suicide bombings

kumble_rocks

Jesus, the new poll by the Pew Research Center shows that nearly nearly 1 in 4 Young American Muslims below 30 support Suicide bombings. But the flip side is nearly 80 percent of U.S. Muslims say suicide bombings of civilians to defend Islam can not be justified. One more interesting point is only 40 percent said they believe Arab men carried out the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=nation_world&id=5331418 One in four younger U.S. Muslims said in a poll that suicide bombings to defend their religion are acceptable at least in some circumstances, though most Muslim Americans overwhelmingly reject the tactic and are critical of Islamic extremism and al-Qaida. The survey by the Pew Research Center, one of the most exhaustive ever of the country's Muslims, revealed a community that in many ways blends comfortably into society. Its largely mainstream members express nearly as much happiness with their lives and communities as the general public does, show a broad willingness to adopt American customs, and have income and education levels similar to others in the U.S. Even so, the survey revealed noteworthy pockets of discontent. While nearly 80 percent of U.S. Muslims say suicide bombings of civilians to defend Islam can not be justified, 13 percent say they can be, at least rarely. That sentiment is strongest among those younger than 30. Two percent of them say it can often be justified, 13 percent say sometimes and 11 percent say rarely. "It is a hair-raising number," said Radwan Masmoudi, president of the Washington-based Center for the Study of Islam and Democracy, which promotes the compatibility of Islam with democracy. He said most supporters of the attacks likely assumed the context was a fight against occupation - a term Muslims often use to describe the conflict with Israel. U.S. Muslims have growing Internet and television access to extreme ideologies, he said, adding: "People, especially younger people, are susceptible to these ideas." Federal officials have warned the U.S. must guard against homegrown terrorism, as the British suffered with the London transit bombings of 2005. Even so, U.S. Muslims are far less accepting of suicide attacks than Muslims in many other nations. In Pew surveys last year, support in some Muslim countries exceeded 50 percent, while it was considered justifiable by about one in four Muslims in Britain and Spain, and one in three in France. "We have crazies just like other faiths have them," said Eide Alawan, who directs interfaith outreach at the Islamic Center of America in Dearborn, Mich., one of the nation's largest mosques. He said killing innocent people contradicts Islam. Andrew Kohut, Pew director, said in an interview that support for the attacks represented "one of the few trouble spots" in the survey. The poll briefly describes the rationales for and against "suicide bombing and other forms of violence against civilian targets" and then asks, "Do you personally feel that this kind of violence is often justified to defend Islam, sometimes justified, rarely justified, or never justified?" The question did not specify where a suicide attack might occur, who might carry it out or what was meant by using a bombing to "defend Islam." Those of all ages backing at least some suicide attacks were about evenly divided between men and women, with support stronger from those who were U.S.-born and less educated, and those who attend mosques at least weekly. In other findings: # Only 5 percent of U.S. Muslims expressed favorable views of the terrorist group al-Qaida, though about a fourth did not express an opinion. # Most said they are concerned about a rise in Islamic extremism in the U.S. and around the world. # Only 40 percent said they believe Arab men carried out the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. # By six to one, they say the U.S. was wrong to invade Iraq, while a third say the same about Afghanistan - far deeper than the opposition expressed by the general U.S. public. # Just over half said it has been harder being a U.S. Muslim since the 9/11 attacks. Nearly a third of those who flew in the past year say they underwent extra screening because they are Muslim. # Forty-seven percent said they consider themselves Muslim first, rather than American. Forty-two percent of Christians and 62 percent of white evangelical Protestants identified themselves primarily by their religion in earlier surveys. # By six-to-one, they favor the Democratic Party over the Republican Party, and by five-to-one say they voted for Democratic Sen. John Kerry over President Bush in 2004. The survey estimates there are roughly 2.35 million Muslim Americans. Among adults, two-thirds are from abroad while a fifth are U.S.-born blacks. By law, the Census Bureau does not ask about people's religions. Telephone interviews were conducted with 1,050 Muslim adults from January through April, including in Arabic, Urdu and Farsi. Subjects were chosen at random, from a separate list of households including some with Muslim-sounding names, and from Muslim households that had answered previous surveys. The margin of sampling error was plus or minus 5 percentage points.

No such thing. Its a worldwide phenomenen .... However I do not know what else will make you accept that.
I know it is a worldwide phenomenon but not to the degree like in Europe or Islamic countries(for obvious reasons). I am disappointed with these polls. Another interesting findings from the poll is Forty-seven percent said they consider themselves Muslim first, rather than American. Forty-two percent of Christians and 62 percent of white evangelical Protestants identified themselves primarily by their religion in earlier surveys. Looks like "religion first" is a peculiar trait of these abrahamic faiths.

Muslims know that polls like these get*ROP bad publicity so some must have lied. Actual figures will be lot higher in my opinion. 80% is already very high considering under 30 are our future :angry_smile: *ROP= Religion of Peace :wink_smile:

Another interesting findings from the poll is Forty-seven percent said they consider themselves Muslim first, rather than American. Forty-two percent of Christians and 62 percent of white evangelical Protestants identified themselves primarily by their religion in earlier surveys. Looks like "religion first" is a peculiar trait of these abrahamic faiths.
Quite correct. If you think religion first is a philosphy of Muslims only you are greatly mistaken. Jews fervor far exceeds Muslims in this regard and Christians are also not too ignorant of this aspect. So yes Abrahamic religions suffer from this disease. If I have to go on a limb here I would say country-first may very well be true for religions like Hinduism or Buddhism only. I dont mean to offend anyone but I do not see Sikhism sharing this emotion. In my opinion a Indian Hindu settled in UK/USA would first identify himself as a British/American while Sikhs may not do the same. In fact in my own experience(and I do not claim to know everything) Sikh friends of mine always identify themselves as Sikhs first. I havent read much about this poll(about US Muslims) but if true it is obviously very disappointing and alarming. xxxx

If I have to go on a limb here I would say country-first may very well be true for religions like Hinduism or Buddhism only
I don't think this is true. Every religion puts religion before any other loyalty. Even in Hinduism/Buddhism, the path of Dharma is above all and is mentioned so many times.

Quite correct. If you think religion first is a philosphy of Muslims only you are greatly mistaken. Jews fervor far exceeds Muslims in this regard and Christians are also not too ignorant of this aspect. So yes Abrahamic religions suffer from this disease. If I have to go on a limb here I would say country-first may very well be true for religions like Hinduism or Buddhism only. I dont mean to offend anyone but I do not see Sikhism sharing this emotion. In my opinion a Indian Hindu settled in UK/USA would first identify himself as a British/American while Sikhs may not do the same. In fact in my own experience(and I do not claim to know everything) Sikh friends of mine always identify themselves as Sikhs first. I havent read much about this poll(about US Muslims) but if true it is obviously very disappointing and alarming. xxxx
Agree with you.To be fair to american muslims, we need to know what context , these questions were asked about suicide bombing. They probably may have had Israel in their mind , when the question was asked . Because , if they support suicide bombings in US, they themselves could become victims.

It's not like suicide bombings against israel are any better
Far more understandable in case of Israel than anywhere else on the planet though. What Israel does to Palestinians every week is worse than all Palestinian suicide bombings put together. When a nation elects a terrorist as its head of state like Israel does,all bets are off IMO.

Agree with you.To be fair to american muslims' date=' we need to know what context , these questions were asked about suicide bombing. They probably may have had Israel in their mind , when the question was asked . Because , if they support suicide bombings in US, they themselves could become victims.[/quote'] To be honest I always take such polls with a grain of salt since it is almost impossible to draw any decent decisions based on such polls. The best one can do is to talk from his/her own experience and in my experience I have not seen American Muslims support suicidal bombings. Having said that it is also true that there is an undercurrent of angst running through Muslims world over and it would not surprise me if American Muslims have fallen victim to it as well, speaking generally of course. There are various reasons to it, some being their(American Muslims) fault while other reasons can not be ignored. The simple truth is right after 911 America had received a unanimous mandate to do whatever it deemed fit in response. If US had gone hammer and tongs at Afganistan it would have been a landmark decision. Instead the major effort happened in Iraq and that has not done an aorta of good to US interest. It(Iraq affair) was perceived as anti-Muslim act for starters, then the civil war ensured deep resentment for US in the region. By most accounts(certainly Muslim account) it was seen as nothing but a lust for Zionist power and hunger for Arabic Oil. Right now with the soaring oil prices it has slowly turned into a cr@ppy decision by Bush basically to avenge his Dad at the hands of Saddam. My worry is that the divide seems to be growing by the day and situation just seems to get worse really. xxx

But why is that Israel is making the life of average Palestinians so miserable. After all, Palestinians have been living there for centuries
Because Israelis (or atleast, the practicing Jewish Isrealis) are racist by definition. WHen you have a faith that believes they are chosen people of God and God chose them because of their ancestry and pure lineage, it is categorically racist. Explain to me how Israelis = chosen people of God, destined to inherit the earth as its rulers, is any different than 'white people = superior people, made to be the ruling caste' philosophy of the Nazis. Their greater goal is to re-create the so-called Kingdom of David, where Israel's borders extended from deep within Sinai all the way to the Euphrates ( Iraq). Frankly, it is easy for an Indian (like many here) to instinctly side with Israel because Israel helps India and the common 'muslim terrorist' angle is a ground for common cause but in all honesty, Israel deserves every bit as it gets in return and many times more again. Its like Osama just launched a terror campaign against Aurangzeb. Sure, one is a freelance terrorist(Osama) and the other (Aurangzeb) can hide behind the 'authority of the state' but really, is it worth picking sides in such a depraved battle ? Israel-Palestine is similar. The west, with its holocaust guilt and huge Jewish lobby will have you believe that Israel is the good guys fighting badguys from a failed society called Palestine.In the middle east, Arabs with their common ethnic and religious affinity will have you believe that Isreael is the demon incarnate, terrorising a dying and crushed society called Palestine, no different than blacks in apartheid Africa. In reality, when Israel looks at the mirror, it sees the suicide bombers and vice versa. Thats how debauched both sides are. My perspective is that of the third party here and we should remain the third party instead of foolishly picking a side amongst butchers.

I don't think this is true. Every religion puts religion before any other loyalty. Even in Hinduism/Buddhism, the path of Dharma is above all and is mentioned so many times.
That probably depends on how a religion is preached. Look at it this way, a Hindu is not exactly required to go to a temple everyday. Or even on special occassions. He is not required to fast or do any specific religious act, or at a certain time. From my own experience say I have known 100 Hindus in USA, probably 10-20 of them go regularly to temples, about 50 of them go to temple once or twice a year, mostly on Diwali or Durga Puja, while about 50 just do not care. Now some of them might pray at home or do their fast and stuff but it is very personal. Now if I compare that with an Indian Christian, let alone an America, he/she visits church far more often. Same with Indian Muslims. When they come abroad the first thing they try to locate is a local mosque and direction towards Mecca. My point is there is no conscious "Hindu identity" that is carved. Hindus typically follow their religion without being overly indulgent. I have seen the same for Buddhists as well. The problem, in my opinion, is where there is a clash between "identity". For Hindus religious identity doesnt matter, atleast not to the same xtent that it does for Muslims/Christians/Jews. xxx

The problem, in my opinion, is where there is a clash between "identity". For Hindus religious identity doesnt matter, atleast not to the same xtent that it does for Muslims/Christians/Jews.
I see what you mean. And i agree completely. This aspect of the 'Dharmic faiths'(because l think Jains are very much the same way too as well as the Daoists & Confucists) is slowly starting to get noticed. People are slowly realizing the superiority of the flexibility and individual responsibility of the Dharmic faiths over the draconian control and ummah/mosque/church dictated way of life. This professor i know in UBC history department, total white guy professor from Russian origin. He divides the religious schools of thought as 'great religions' and ' not-so-great' religions instead of Dharmic and Abrahamic, his reasoning is simple : find me a buddhist crusade, hindu jihad,daoist intifadaa and confucist/zoroaster covenant he says. Friedrich Neitzsche, perhaps the greatest western philosopher from non-antiquity(ie, after the great roman and greek philosophers) openly criticizes Christianity and says how Buddhism is far superior to Christianity in a practical and logical way, in his book called 'Thus spake Zarusthara'.

My point is there is no conscious "Hindu identity" that is carved. Hindus typically follow their religion without being overly indulgent. I have seen the same for Buddhists as well. The problem, in my opinion, is where there is a clash between "identity". For Hindus religious identity doesnt matter, atleast not to the same xtent that it does for Muslims/Christians/Jews. xxx
You have summed it up very eloquently here.

CC we have gone down the Israel Vs Arab road before. Don't muslims in their own way think that they are the chosen people as well? :teeth_smile: Most Israelis are not hardcore Jewish nuts. RACISM- a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race How the fuck are Jews racist? I don't like people using the term when it comes to religion.

Don't muslims in their own way think that they are the chosen people as well?.. .. How the fuck are Jews racist? I don't like people using the term when it comes to religion.
Ofcourse. Most Christians and hell, even some hindu fundie groups believe them to be God's chosen people. But the reason i single out Jews is because jews are the only ones to make it also a racial clause. Christians/Muslims etc. think they are chosen people and you/I are gonna burn in hell but they will think we are chosen people like them too if we convert. So long as we follow what they think is right, we are cool. Jews are the only one to bring race into the equation too. Not only do you have to believe in their spiel, you must be a Jew by blood too. If you are not Jew by blood but you still believe the Jewish stuff to be right, you are awarded the status of a Samaritan. Ie, second class citizen, who are banned from any governance according to the Torah and who will be the 'arms and legs' of the Jewish supermacy government when 'God deciedes everyone's fate once and for all'. And incase you are wondering, 'arms and legs' are the Bible/Koran's way of saying you will be slaves/labour class only. Hell, Orthodox Jews (who according to Israel are the authority in Judaism) won't even accept you as a Jew unless you can prove you got Jewish blood in your ancestry. If that isn't racist, i dunno what is !

How many Israelis believe that in it's most hardcore form? Most I have met are open minded smart asses...they just want to live in peace. Plus not all Jews are white so you can't term it as racism :teeth_smile: