Watch entire Mahabharat..for free!

CC1981

I hate to advertise other sites, i hope the mods here don't mind but i found this brilliant site called www.rajshri.com and it lets you view the entire mahabharat for free (or lets you own it for around 200 bucks or so). Just go to that site, click on tv shows and click on mahabharat from the drop-down menu. Mind you, that site has zillions of other tv shows,movies and music vids for free. But mahabharat is what drew my attention to it, since it is such a brilliant tale that even if no film or tv series can do justice, its still worth seeing and reflecting on. Apart from Duryodhan and Krishna, nobody's character is truely cut and dry in 'bad and good' mode. Who to admire ? who to hate ? Is Karna the epitome of the tragic hero or is he another arrogant jerk ? Is Arjun really the bravest of all or is he a choker at heart, getting him to fight required the plodding of the Lord himself ? If hinduism is an onion, mahabharat is the biggest specimen of an onion to be ever found. Must view for all in my opinion. PS: I am going to stick my neck out and say my favourite Mahabharat character is Karna. I cannot imagine anyone dealing with their circumstances better than what Karna did and i truely admire this guy's overall nature.

Gambo, every single scene is there and each scene has a little synopsis before it, telling you what the main events in the scene are. Abhimanyu-vadh is episode 82 on page 9 i think. I just watched it yesterday. :wink_smile: I can only imagine what Mahabharat would look like on the big screen if we had some top of the line hollywood special effects director + best scriptwriter on the planet and a great director at the helm, turning it into a 3 or 4 part movie in the LOTR fashion. The acting in the series is mostly really great ( i didnt like Krishna's character too much, primarily because he looks like a pucca idiot when he tries the 'sri-krishna half-smile' all the time) but the battle scenes really doesnt do the tale any justice.

since it is such a brilliant tale that even if no film or tv series can do justice, its still worth seeing and reflecting on. Apart from Duryodhan and Krishna, nobody's character is truely cut and dry in 'bad and good' mode. Who to admire ? who to hate ? Is Karna the epitome of the tragic hero or is he another arrogant jerk ? Is Arjun really the bravest of all or is he a choker at heart, getting him to fight required the plodding of the Lord himself ? If hinduism is an onion, mahabharat is the biggest specimen of an onion to be ever found.
Absolutely, therein lies the beauty of Hinduism. It makes you think for yourself.

Gambo, every single scene is there and each scene has a little synopsis before it, telling you what the main events in the scene are. Abhimanyu-vadh is episode 82 on page 9 i think. I just watched it yesterday. :wink_smile:.
Yeeeeeeah ! I finally found it.
Yudhisthir learns about Drona’s plan to arrange the Kaurav forces in the Chakra-Vyuha. Unfortunately, Yudhisthir cannot depend on Arjun for Susarama has lured him away from the battlefield, but Arjun’s son, Abhimanyu offers his assistance. Abhimanyu succeeds in penetrating the Chakra – Vyuha but he gets trapped inside it and is eventually killed.
Awesome. I am so watching this.

Err oops Preds, that post should've been directed at you.Apologies. I must say though, the free viewing option is a low resolution dinky lil screen and the entire series is rather expensive to own (nearly a 100 episodes at 2 dollars/episode) to see it in good quality.

To be frank, i admire the Mahabharata far more than Ramayana. Ramayana is a bit too goody goody cut-n-dried for me, where its a simple question of good dudes fighting bad dudes and winning. Mahabharata is incredibly more complex a story and far bigger a story that is closer to reality. Stories where perfect guys just stay perfect and bad guys never do anything good tend to bore me after a while.

PS: I am going to stick my neck out and say my favourite Mahabharat character is Karna. I cannot imagine anyone dealing with their circumstances better than what Karna did and i truely admire this guy's overall nature.
Join the club. Karna is my favorite character from Mahabharta. In fact he is my favorite character amongst all mythological\religious or ancient cultures. xxx

Gambo, every single scene is there and each scene has a little synopsis before it, telling you what the main events in the scene are. Abhimanyu-vadh is episode 82 on page 9 i think. I just watched it yesterday. :wink_smile: I can only imagine what Mahabharat would look like on the big screen if we had some top of the line hollywood special effects director + best scriptwriter on the planet and a great director at the helm, turning it into a 3 or 4 part movie in the LOTR fashion. The acting in the series is mostly really great ( i didnt like Krishna's character too much, primarily because he looks like a pucca idiot when he tries the 'sri-krishna half-smile' all the time) but the battle scenes really doesnt do the tale any justice.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ltd/msid-1159352.cms Its TOI... Believe at ur own risk...

My money is Shah Rukh is Karna and Aamir is Arjun, though Aamir is really too short to be anybody in that epic. Shah Rukh will do a good Karna- karna is mentioned as a big tall robust fellow who has the 'brilliance and itensity of the sun' eched on his face. Aamir is a bit of a soft-face for Karna. My ideal choice for Karna would pretty much be the same dood from the serial. He was a very good Karna.

Aamir Khan has always mentioned that his dream role is to portray that of Karna. And he should be able to do justice to that as far as acting skills are desired. Frankly I wouldnt want to see an Aamir or a Salman or a Shahrukh in a Mahabharta. They are just too damn short. What you need is a good combination of Sunny, Sanjay Dutt, Hrithik, and so on. In that sense the TV series has the right personalities for the characters. By the way for Mahabharta fans a good viewing is Peter Brooke's Mahabharta. It is a stage show that was done by personalities of different countries and was widely appreciated. You can look it up at your local Blockbuster or Netflix. mahabharata.jpg

BTW did Mahabaratha happen about 4000 years ago? Even prior the reported Iron age in Indian somewhere about 10th century BC? It is said that it first started in 10th century BC in India. Amazing India were world leaders in technology even then :thumbs_up:

Well to be honest, i don't think Mahabharata happened exactly as it is told though it must have its seed between some sort of civil war in antiquity. India were ofcourse leaders of technology in the ancient world. Back when mesopotamians were building their earliest cities in the typical medieval haphazard fashion, indians were building cities with grid-pattern, proper sewage & drainage systems, complete with earthenware pipes and underground sewers with manhole covers and all. Ancient India's glory might've been touched momentarily by the Egyptians or the Persians and Babylonians but never surpassed. Even when Persia or Rome were in driver's seat in the 1000 BCE-1AD period, India and China were the top dawgs since somewhere in that 1000 year period, China had risen to equal India or be close behind. Gupta period, India would again pull ahead as categoric #1 with China #2 and Romans #3. But when India started to decline under islamic invasion, China became the world leader in civilization and tech, until the Europeans caught up and went past the Chinese in the last 300 years. If human history of the last 5000-6000 years were a time-graph, India would be #1 for the majority of the 4000 BCE- 800 CE period with it never being out of the top 3, 800 CE- 1400 CE is India in free fall, surpassed by China, Persia, Arabia, with China being the number #1, 1400 onwards, Europe begins its steep climb again ( Europe would be #3-#4 for most of antiquity to 500-600 CE period), becomes #2 by 1500s and #1 by 1700s, with the 1700s-2000s period dominated by Europe much the same way India dominated the 4000 BCE-800 CE period. India makes a momentary resurgance on the world map (though still barely in top 5) under the Mughals but again plunges down to the depths under the mughals,marathaas, sikhs, etc.

Every epic has its exaggeration CC. I'm sure you will agree the stories of Moses, Muhammad, Jesus, Buddha et al will have about 80% exaggeration and 20% truth. Of course you wouldn't believe in adam and eve, Noah's arc et al Every epic, religious literature will have plenty of exaggerations and stories to elevate someone to god status. I don't say they were not special. Indeed they were, otherwise they wouldn't have had such mass following.