Afridi begs to play in the IPL.

Schickelgruber

NEW DELHI: Shahid Afridi feels deeply hurt and has appealed to the Indian cricket board that Pakistan players shouldn't be treated as "untouchables" when it comes to including them in the cash-rich Indian Premier League. "It is high time that Pakistani cricketers should also get a place in IPL. For three seasons including the current one, we haven't been a part of the IPL. We have no problems playing in India as we have just played a World Cup semifinal there. We are deeply hurt that they are treating us like 'untouchables'," Afridi said from Karachi. He further added that Pakistani public feel hurt that their players are not playing in IPL. "I am not saying that I want to play IPL but it could be a great platform for youngsters. They could make a mark for themselves." As many as 11 Pakistan players were part of inaugural season of IPL in 2008. Afridi was the costliest Pakistani player who was bagged by the Hyderabad team for $675,000. Shoaib Akhtar, Umar Gul, Mohammad Hafeez and Salman Butt (Kolkata Knight Riders), Younis Khan, Sohail Tanveer and Kamran Akmal (Rajasthan Royals), Shoaib Malik and Mohammad Asif ( Delhi Daredavils) and Misbah Ul Haq (Royal Challangers Banglore) were the other players . Pakistani players missed out on the 2009 and 2010 editions due to security concerns in the wake of Mumbai terror attacks. Afridi has said that Indian PM Manmohan Singh's invitation to Pakistani PM for the semifinals was a positive sign and that is the way to go forward. "Our PM Yusuf Raza Gilani responded in positive on that invitation. Now IPL can be a platform to further ease the tension," he said. "We should play more and more against each other. This will not only ease the pressure but will also reduce the unwanted media hype surrounded with Indo-Pak matches," he said. For Afridi, Indo- Pak matches are not war as players of both teams share great rapport off the field. "On field, yes there are moments of pressure and tension whenever we play but off it, we are all friends. I share great bond with Harbhajan and respect Sachin a lot," said Afridi. On his criticism of Gautam Gambhir's statement about dedicating the WC win to the people who died in Mumbai terror attack, Afridi said that he did not say anything about Gambhir. "I never heard Gautam saying anything like that, so how could I react over that. It is ridiculous," he said. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/news/Dont-treat-us-as-untouchables-Afridis-appeal-to-BCCI/articleshow/7912808.cms __________________________________________________________________________ What a massive douchebag to be honest. You guys were right, he was ass-licking when he became all sentimental and said "Why to hate India". :giggle:

Pakistani players were part of the first IPL. They were left out because of government directives after the 26/11 attack. Unless there is concrete action against 26/11 suspects, I dont see much chance of sporting or economic corporation. There is a lot of anger still against the Mumbai attacks.

Poor Afridi. He tried to say it in so many indirect ways, but the small-hearted BCCI could never understand that unspoken love. Now he is saying it loud and clear, but I guess the small-hearted BCCI will still ignore this IPL-smitten lover boy. :sniffle:

You know I am really not sure where I stand on this. I was also kind of embarassed when PCB did not send its team to India for IPL after 26/11 citing security reasons. Talk about irony. I was also embarassed when they question India ( hindu ) ki zehniyat. I was also embarassed when Pakistani players kept talking about IPL being poor quality of cricket and yet bad mouthing them when they were not picked. BUT, this is not the country I want us to. Us time pe gussa that. Us time pe yeh karna zaroori tha. But these are our neighbours. We can't keep shoving them. We can't keep treating each one of them as untouchables. We know some of they have been cheats but we also admire a lot of their talent that they produce. We are too big and great a country to keep carrying this now. I know 26/11 has scarred us unlike anything ever before. And the thought of them making money of us is sickening for some. But you cannot keep them away forever. We need to build bridges at some point. You can't change your neighbours.

@ OP, begs is too strong a word. Its natural that every player wants to play in the IPL (or any other league that brings big bucks). At the end of the day, they have a living to make and many dont have a solid education to fall back on once their cricketing career is over. What is disappointing from Afridi is that he is on a serial statement making spree, giving contradicting statements confusing everyone about his stand on any issue is. He should stick to cricket and leave the statement making to professional PR people

You know I am really not sure where I stand on this. I was also kind of embarassed when PCB did not send its team to India for IPL after 26/11 citing security reasons. Talk about irony. I was also embarassed when they question India ( hindu ) ki zehniyat. I was also embarassed when Pakistani players kept talking about IPL being poor quality of cricket and yet bad mouthing them when they were not picked. BUT, this is not the country I want us to. Us time pe gussa that. Us time pe yeh karna zaroori tha. But these are our neighbours. We can't keep shoving them. We can't keep treating each one of them as untouchables. We know some of they have been cheats but we also admire a lot of their talent that they produce. We are too big and great a country to keep carrying this now. I know 26/11 has scarred us unlike anything ever before. And the thought of them making money of us is sickening for some. But you cannot keep them away forever. We need to build bridges at some point. You can't change your neighbours.
The thing is you can only clap with both hands. If Pakistan is not ready to commit itself to stooping terrorists coming into India from across the border then why should it always be our responsibility to build bridges and then wait and wait and wait and ultimately see all our trust and faith going in vain as we see yet another 26/11 or another blast in another city - aakhir kab tak hum yeh sab bhul kar aage badte rahenge aur Pakistani bomb blast pe bomb blast karte rahenge??? I for one, want to cut off every relation with Pakistan till the time they are fully ready to solve the problem of cross border terrorism - Indians have suffered too much over the past 60+ years and enough is enough.