What do we do with Sehwag now ?

Jaffer is our regular and he has shown he can score a big one every once in a while. According to cricinfo, yesterday was the 15th time in 35 innings he has crossed 25. But on ten of those occasions, he has crossed 50; four times he has gone over 100 and once 200. Once he is set, he makes it count BIG. Karthik has done no wrong as a test bat. Scoring an impressive 3 50s as an opener and a fighting 40 odd vs SA in the 2nd innings in difficult batting conditions, he has sealed his test spot. Where does this leave Sehwag now ? If he comes back does he come back as an opener or a middle order bat ? Or do you guys think in more difficult conditions Karthik/Jaffer will make way for Sehwag ?

Sehwag should be left where he is right now - OUT. A spot in Indian cricket team has to be earned, it should not be taken for granted. As much as I am uncertain(yet) of the credibility of Karthick and Jaffer, I am quite certain that Sehwag doesnt have much credibility based on his current form. Let him work hard and earn his place.

I agree with lurker; if sehwag wants to play international cricket then he should force his way in based on performance in domestic cricket and not because someone failed. Yuvraj has done the same even Ganguly had to work his way in dont see why the same rule should not be applied on sehwag. The biggest problem is when a new coach comes in and see's players like VVS, sehwag, bhaji either out of the team or warming the bench he might be tempted to pick them up thinking with little application he can change their fortune.

Motu can come in for the england test series... But nowhere near the odi team... if he averages 30 with the bat, while opening in odis for 170 matches, when average openers average 35-40... then he has no talent for odis.... as simple as tht.... he aint gonna prove jack in domestic, which will prompt me to select him for the odi team ever....

I still think he is a genuine matchwinner in tests ... he has setup the most number of test wins for us of late aside from Dravid. But there isnt any room for him right now ... let him light up the domestic scene and then lets see where we end up. Shouldnt be anywhere near the ODI team.

One reason I lost interest in this team was Sehwag's decline. For a few years back there, at least for me, Sehwag was India. I'd be glued to the TV when he was batting, but go and do something else as soon as he was dismissed. If his career is truly over, it is safe to say that never ever has India seen such unbridled aggression married to such prolific runscoring. For Sehwag, a hundred was merely a stepping stone for a 190 or a 200, while fiftys were piffling milestones. No coincidence then, that India's glorious year in the sun in 2003-4 coincided with Sehwag's boom years. Don't really care much for the players we have now. They will break at the first sign of pressure. Not one of them could have walked out at Multan against a Shoaib, Sami, Shabbir, Saqlain combo in a series opener and belted out a triple century and make it look like a walk in the park. Oooooh, I miss him!!:sad_smile:

True Dhondy, he brought back the much needed excitement factor to test cricket. Back in the 90s i used to fear watching our openers. Sehwag turned that fear on its head & made the first one hour of our batting compelling viewing. Too bad it didnt last longer than it did. I really wish he makes a strong come back to test cricket. But as he grows older, his strength (hand-eye coordination) will become his weakness. We may witness only very little of sehwag's supremacy in the future :cry_smile:

Bumps, the look on the Mule-passionate's faces when his howitzers started hitting the stands! Hain, where did this guy come from? How can a veggie hit so hard? He is fukin' killing us! Nando! Meat! Sumthin! That was the series when Shoaib Akhtar was transformed from a household name in Pakistan, appreciated even for humming crap Bollywood songs through mooney eyes into a camera, to the villain of the piece, who had surrendered against the eternal infidels. I don't think they ever forgave him for that humiliation in their back yard.

Sehwag's decline was always on the cards, at least i had expected as much. A batsman who relies on nothing more than a good eye for the right ball to hit thanks to that exceptional hand-eye coordination is never going to be scoring big hundreds year after year. On the old board i had compared him with Michael Slater - similar sort of player technique wise whose first half of his career saw him obliterate everything in his path, until his freakish HEC and reflexes began to deteriorate with age and he eventually finished with an average in the low 40s.

Sehwag's decline was always on the cards' date=' at least i had expected as much. A batsman who relies on nothing more than a good eye for the right ball to hit thanks to that exceptional hand-eye coordination is never going to be scoring big hundreds year after year. On the old board i had compared him with Michael Slater - similar sort of player technique wise whose first half of his career saw him obliterate everything in his path, until his freakish HEC and reflexes began to deteriorate with age and he eventually finished with an average in the low 40s.[/quote'] Predz but u are grossly underestimating his will power. Technique is too overrated. We have had technical geniuses (like Manjeraker) in the past who didnt deliver squat. Sehwag is a very rare breed. We dont see players with his attitude too often. He may not have the technique of a Tendulkar but more than compensates it with his aggression. What has a technically more sound Tendulkar done worth remembering (in test cricket) more than a Sehwag ?

I'd take A Sehwag over any other Indian batsman in the team today, apart from Dravid, even on current form. He is a fucking thoroughbred. It doesn't matter where in the batting order you put him, he'll just have one thing on his mind- to have the bowler's pussy for lunch- if he is still there. You don't discard a batsman like that easily. Heck, even Rahul Dravid failed in South Africa.

Predz but u are grossly underestimating his will power. Technique is too overrated. We have had technical geniuses (like Manjeraker) in the past who didnt deliver squat. Sehwag is a very rare breed. We dont see players with his attitude too often. He may not have the technique of a Tendulkar but more than compensates it with his aggression. What has a technically more sound Tendulkar done worth remembering (in test cricket) more than a Sehwag ?
I am not underestimating him. Why do you think i want him to be picked as an opener for the England tour ? Tell that to the poeple on this forum who actually think Dinesh Karthik of all players, is better than him... I just see that there is this trend with players with little more than a good eye - historically, they tend to have shorter careers. Aside from the Slater example, one could notice that in Ganguly as well - he is also another Sehwag-type in terms of how he lacks footwork and relies on a good eye and his sense of timing. He had a brilliant 4 years after debuting in '96, and then gradually became worse. He survived this long only because of his clout and connections upstairs. Just an observation.
He survived this long only because of his clout and connections upstairs. Just an observation.
He survived so long for three main reasons: 1. Indian cricket fans- be it 'aam admi', selectors or even former players, we cannot differentiate between Tests and ODIs. While Gangoo is an average test batsman, he is a brilliant ODI player and his ODI form carried through his Test shortcommings. 2. You may not know this but Gangoo is the ONLY player in the team who's test average has never dropped below 40. Even Tendy,Dravid,Laxman,Waggy, etc. have had times when their test average is below 40, never Saurav. Indian selectors worry about crap like this. 3. Gangoo was the captain. And a much much better at winning than Azhar or Tendu. Lets face it, when the team is performing, a non-performing or deteriorating captain is given the most leeway in terms of form. Gangoo is no stranger to this. England carried Brearley and for a while AUS were mollified that Mark Taylor had forgotten how to bat. England gave a lot of leeway to Vaughan and the Saffies carried a perinneal underachieving batsman called Cronje because of his captaincy skills (yes, he was scum for fixing matches but at the same time, you gotto realize that Cronje had great captaincy brains too). Right now, Gangoo is a must for ODI team- the only guy who actually scores anymore in ODIs is gangoo. I've always maintained that strike rate is a luxury to be focussed upon only when you are scoring runs. Gimme a 60 in 80 balls Gangoo over 25 in 10 balls of Sehwag.