Indian tourists most impolite

Gambit

[COLOR=#000000][B]Indian tourist most impolite: Survey[/B][/COLOR]

NEW DELHI: Indians may be clocking up air miles like never before but when it comes to tourist etiquette, they still have miles to go. A poll of 15,000 European hoteliers has ranked Indian tourists as the second worst, behind only the French.  

Trailing India in the league of terrible tourists are the Chinese followed by the Russians and Brits, according to the latest survey by travel website Expedia. The Japanese were voted the world's best tourists, followed by the Americans   and the Swiss.  

Among the 10 categories that hotel managers were quizzed on, Indians fared the worst on the politeness front. While the Japanese couldn't be faulted on their manners, Indians were rated the most impolite.  

And with most Indian tourists travelling to Europe with desi chefs in tow, it's not a surprise that the European   
   hospitality industry views them as the least interested in trying out local cuisine or sampling local specialities after the Italians.   

"We ate Indian food everywhere because that's what the others on the tour wanted. Imagine eating chhole-puri on Mount Titlis in Switzerland and being served samosas while watching Paris' famed Lido show! It was such a letdown," says Bibli Das, who returned from a European package tour last week. Cleanliness doesn't seem to be a strong suit either, with those in the trade saying Indians are wont to leave their hotel rooms in a mess though they are not as messy as the Russians. The Germans were ranked as the tidiest.  

Etiquette didn't score the Indian outbound traveller any points either. The poll ranked them as the worst behaved followed by the Italians.  

So is the Indian tourist really so bad? The perception is flawed, says Rajeev Nangia of Trac Travels. "Indian tourists are more demanding than others which is why they may be perceived as impolite. They always look for value."  

Terrible tourist or merely misunderstood, there's no stopping Indian travellers from packing their bags and leaving on a jet plane.  

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Indian_tourists_among_most_impolite_in_world_Survey/articleshow/2081347.cms The part about the samosas and chole does sound familiar. Why are Indians so averse to trying different kinds of foods? Or is that only a vegetarian Indian thing? :rolleyes:

I can understand the food thing, since lotsa indians prefer veggies, and there aren't very many apetising non-indian vegetarian dishes. Agree about the "demand value for money", and "impolite" etiquette. The thing is that this is all considered ok in India, so when desis go out they don't realize that they are being rude. And agree about messy rooms as well :haha:

Guest dada_rocks

there is no universal yardstick of rudeness and that's where these polls err big time........ someday back a poll came claimimg indians are most impolite and the basis was they don't use sorry thank-you enough.. These criteria are laughable to say the least

Not surprised. Indians in general think they are very polite but come off very rude. Everytime i fly a plane that is going to India full of Indians, the airhostesses get treated like chapraasis. People snapping their fingers at them( i've seen this many times but ONLY from INdians- snapping fingers), people refusing to sit down, taking total advantage of the complementary booze, etc etc. Most impolite are Indians with young families - its all the 'go to hell the rest of you' mentality. Indian old couples however, (ie, the 50-60+ group) are the mellowest, nicest travellers though.

just got back home from New York, saw a truck load of indians there wandering the streets and i hate to say this, i dont think indian tourists are any less or any more polite than the average tourist. they might have peculiar accents, weird pronunciations, might call "route" as "root" instead of the bargled "raout" as we do, but they are genteel and terribly easy targets for pick pockets. if anything, indian tourists are preferred!

Not surprised. Indians in general think they are very polite but come off very rude. Everytime i fly a plane that is going to India full of Indians, the airhostesses get treated like chapraasis. People snapping their fingers at them( i've seen this many times but ONLY from INdians- snapping fingers), people refusing to sit down, taking total advantage of the complementary booze, etc etc. Most impolite are Indians with young families - its all the 'go to hell the rest of you' mentality. Indian old couples however, (ie, the 50-60+ group) are the mellowest, nicest travellers though.
which is why they dont distribute booze on flights any more. i think by serving alcohol, airlines invite trouble for themselves. and no i have never seen people "snap" at air hostesses, maybe as a last ditch attempt to get their attention, none the less, if you see it again do make it a point to discretely inform the gentleman that he must extend the courtesy one human being extends to another...

I admit that Indians are miserly when it comes to Sorrys and Thank-yous. Maybe its just a cultural difference - maybe we dont see the need for a sorry or a thank-you unless the situation genuinely demands it and this might come across as rude to westerners. Westerners tend to dole out a sorry or a thank-you way too frequently which sometimes make me wonder whether they genuinely mean it!! Cultural difference once again! Perception of rudeness is subjective and varies from culture to culture. One classic example would be calling a person 'fat'. In the US, its considered highly offensive and is a very sensitive issue. I am not able to understand this at all. When a person can be described as tall/short, black/white (I personally think this is more offensive and abusive), skinny etc., why make a big deal about fat? Isnt it just a way of describing a person along these lines?

Guest dada_rocks
One classic example would be calling a person 'fat'. In the US' date=' its considered highly offensive and is a very sensitive issue. I am not able to understand this at all. When a person can be described as tall/short, black/white (I personally think this is more offensive and abusive), skinny etc., why make a big deal about fat? Isnt it just a way of describing a person along these lines?[/quote'] Never got this, expectation to lie about weight. My wife kept asking me after birth of my son do I look fat and me being me kept telling her yes u do need to shed some. Everytime she kept correcting me " u are not supposed to say that" and I kept promising her well next time I will make amends and the next time has not come yet. I keep flunking this test. I just can't lie and that too about such a mundane thing.

Never got this' date=' expectation to lie about weight. My wife kept asking me after birth of my son do I look fat and me being me kept telling her yes u do need to shed some. Everytime she kept correcting me " u are not supposed to say that" and I kept promising her well next time I will make amends and the next time has not come yet. I keep flunking this test. I just can't lie and that too about such a mundane thing.[/quote'] You belong to the vast majority of Indian uncles who cannot adapt

Never got this' date=' expectation to lie about weight. My wife kept asking me after birth of my son do I look fat and me being me kept telling her yes u do need to shed some. Everytime she kept correcting me " u are not supposed to say that" and I kept promising her well next time I will make amends and the next time has not come yet. I keep flunking this test. I just can't lie and that too about such a mundane thing.[/quote'] Next time you pass a human through your body and get called fat by your wife ...you will learn to pass the test......:hmmmm2::y::eviltongue::eviltongue