Mass Conversion to Buddhism in Mumbai

kumble_rocks

Just read this in Boston Globe and Deccan herald. I told you guys before , contrary to what some hindus here want you to believe , we still have huge problem with our religion. Otherwise so many people, especially lower caste folks wouldn't convert regularly. http://www.boston.com/news/world/asia/articles/2007/05/29/thousands_of_low_caste_indians_convert/ http://www.deccanherald.com/Content/May272007/national200705274037.asp?section=updatenews About 2,000 low-caste Hindu Indians bowed before orange-robed monks and recited prayers as they converted to Buddhism in a mass ceremony Sunday that they said would bring them dignity in a society that considers them "untouchables." "I feel like I have been reborn," Mahi, a farmer who uses only one name, said at the ceremony in Mumbai. "This is my rebirth." Organizers said the ceremony was conducted in the spirit of B.R. Ambedkar, an untouchable, or dalit, who fought British colonial rule and injustice in Indian society. Ambedkar, the chief architect of the Indian Constitution that outlawed discrimination based on caste, renounced Hinduism for Buddhism in 1956 because he believed it treated people equally. He died that same year. Buddhists form a small minority in mostly Hindu India. "There has been injustice done to us for so many years. This (conversion) is our fight for justice," said Mahi. Similar ceremonies are held across India several times a year, but organizers said this was one of the biggest. In addition to the converts, several thousand others came to witness the ceremony. Most of the converts were men who traveled from remote corners of Maharashtra state where discrimination against dalits is common. Mahi described life in villages where dalit children could not enter schools and dalits were forced off local buses. "If we change our religion, things should improve, we will get respect," he said. "This is our beginning." Traditional Hindu society in India sets limits on economic and educational progress among those born in low-caste families. Dalits say they are routinely barred from entering temples and schools despite the caste system being outlawed. "There has been so much discrimination and nothing is done to stop it," said Jayandra Kamble, a trader from Mumbai who converted to Buddhism on Sunday. "I now belong to a religion that truly believes in peace and harmony."dingbat_story_end_icon.gif

Actually no one in his right mind would say there is no problem with the caste system. Then again, call me crazy, but these people can convert in peace knowing that they won't be hanged in public as a punishment.

Yeah right ' date=' some of your pals here , have suggested that their is no problem with caste system or it has been addressed already yada yada yada.[/quote'] Well then they are not saying that in their right minds, but then again I've heard more crazy stuffs from you and your pals :haha:

No' date=' but absolving hindus of all crimes is certainly sign of retardness.:tounge_smile:[/quote']Yeah, specially when it's only a one-way thinking. But yeah, dividing up the sins of jiziya was brilliant, although on a stupid level, but genius nonetheless :haha:

Yeah' date=' specially when it's only a one-way thinking. But yeah, dividing up the sins of jiziya was brilliant, although on a stupid level, but genius nonetheless :haha:[/quote'] Yeah right , Let me get this straight , few muslims invaders come and threaten thousands of Rajputs , Rajputs get scared for their life. and decide to collect jizya instead of getting killed. Wow, now I have heard it all from you . Keep it up. Apparently moron mode is on 24/7 from your side or backside.:hysterical:

About 2,000 low-caste Hindu Indians bowed before orange-robed monks and recited prayers as they converted to Buddhism in a mass ceremony Sunday that they said would bring them dignity in a society that considers them "untouchables."
Frankly conversion of Hindus into Buddhism doesn't bother me at all. Both the religions have origins in India and there is hardly a lot of difference in culture and philosphy. I have spend many an evening walking around some of the sacred sites of Buddhism with ardent Buddhist around the world, sat and talked with them and never ever got a feeling there was any difference really. Of course for purists they are two completely different religion. What would bother me though is do these converts take to Buddhism because they get to know it and like it? Or because they are brainwashed into doing this. If the conversion is done in free-will then I have no problems with it but if it is done by coercion, corruption or plain brainwashing then that would be criminal. xxxx

What would bother me though is do these converts take to Buddhism because they get to know it and like it? Or because they are brainwashed into doing this. If the conversion is done in free-will then I have no problems with it but if it is done by coercion, corruption or plain brainwashing then that would be criminal. xxxx
Lurker, with all due respect ,I find it hard to believe that they have been brainwashed or coerced. Keep in mind, hindu organizations like VHP ,RSS etc have much more resource and man power than of these buddhist or muslim organizations. Nobody is stopping the Hindus from preventing conversions through their own coercion or brainwashing. But , I have a problem if they decided to convert to Islam because the playing field is not even in this particular case. You know what I mean.:wink_smile: