You Know You Grew Up in India in the 90s When…

ganeshran

Nice thread. A few more points: ........... when your favorite chewing gum was either Big Babool or Boomer and that too in later classes. In earlier classes there hardly were many options as market was closed still i.e. near 1990 start. I remember one bakwaas mint kind of chewing gum named NP or something similar. ............ when one of the hottest topics for discussion in school during adolescence was Rangeela and Urmila as if there was something special. :P Not to mention that students used to stare at Urmila in Tanha Tanha song whenever telecast on TV and Hai Rama was just a bit more special. :D ........ when Rangoli and Chitrahaar was one of the best source of entertainment in the whole week. This holds true especially in the early 90s as there were no other song shows etc. except these two. The whole family used to sit together on an early Sunday morning just to watch Chitrahaar. ...... when the whole neighborhood came to watch cricket matches at your house as if it was a public broadcasting. That used to be the case especially in mid and late 80s and early 90s. .... when after returning from school you used to watch Shanti, Swabhimaan and one other TV serial based on Independence movement. Forgot the name. It used to be telecast at 3 p.m. ... when your favorite actress was either Madhuri Dixit or Sridevi in most probility ... when you switched off the TV as soon as Sachin got out early during a cricket match. Even if you did not switch off yet you thought it was as good as lost.

contra super contra :yay:
Good point. When you used to play video games on TV and all of your friends gathered at one place (either your house or another friend's house) to play Contra, Super Contra, Mario, Super Mario, Duckhunt etc. .......... when students used to go to a game parlor to spend Rs.5-10 for a single fight series of Tekken instead of purchasing and playing at home unlimited. In those days, PS was at the start and very pricey too I suppose and that maybe the reason. ..... when people thought that 125 kbps was a good speed for an internet connection and broadband was almost unheard of. When dialup was more known rather than broadband. And computer was a luxury rather than a necessity and friends used to watch with amazement when one by one all of them bought computers. Same was the case with TVs in the late 80s and early 90s and that became the case with computers in late 90s. :giggle:

Good point. When you used to play video games on TV and all of your friends gathered at one place (either your house or another friend's house) to play Contra, Super Contra, Mario, Super Mario, Duckhunt etc. .......... when students used to go to a game parlor to spend Rs.5-10 for a single fight series of Tekken instead of purchasing and playing at home unlimited. In those days, PS was at the start and very pricey too I suppose and that maybe the reason. ..... when people thought that 125 kbps was a good speed for an internet connection and broadband was almost unheard of. When dialup was more known rather than broadband. And computer was a luxury rather than a necessity and friends used to watch with amazement when one by one all of them bought computers. Same was the case with TVs in the late 80s and early 90s and that became the case with computers in late 90s. :giggle:
Oh yeah!!! that was big time entertainment - video game parlors and car bumping.

...... when Tehkikat and Byomkesh Bakshi were the favorite detective TV serials. ...... when Night Riders and one more similar show were one of your favorite action cum bike/automobile special effects show. I forgot the name of those two shows. One had a bike and the other had a car and were shown in different period of the 90s especially on DD Metro if I remember. .... when Who Dares Wins (game show) was one of your favorite shows on TV and AXN was one of your favorite channels when you first took cable connection after parents finally allowed after your 10th exams were over. That again was in late 90s case. And the female host of that show Tania Zaetta later became a wannabe in Bollywood after she came for Indian edition of Who Dares Wins and acted in small roles in Bunty aur Babli, Salaam Namaste etc. http://twitter.com/#!/taniaZaetta http://www.tania.com.au/ Loads of more points to come. :cool:

Those were the times when male kidz were allowed to play physical "games" with galz. The aunties (moms of girlies) didn't mind it coz they thought lil Zelig doesn't know "things"...:phehehe: Auntiez fail :proud:

i used to play contra/mario for RS. 5. :agree:
Abe saale who took Rs.5 from you for playing contra. That was a household game in the later 90s and I suppose you are quite younger and not there in the early 90s I suppose. I was saying about Tekken and WWE smack down etc. in game parlors with playstation. Agar koi Mario aur contra ke liye Rs.5 leta tha to wo ******* bana raha tha. The whole video game set for Mario etc. used to cost around a thousand bucks if I remember correctly. Jo wo Rs.5 le raha tha wo 200 customers (probably in a day) daam nikaal liya hoga us video game set ka. :giggle:

Do they still sell Chacha Choudhary comics? I remember reading these.
Not sure. Good point. .............. When Chacha Chaudhury and Diamond comics used to be one of your favorite English comics at that time and you hardly used to miss any of those. Other diamond comics characters like Biloo, Raman and Pinky were also quite popular. And amongst Hindi comics, Raj comics used to be favorite and characters like Naagraj, Super Commando Dhruva etc. used to be favorite in Raj Comics. In later years, characters like Bhedia, Parmanu, Fighter Toads etc. also appeared in Raj comics. Not to mention that comics shops were the regular shops where all students used to visit every month. In early 90s even Amar Chitra Katha and Twinkle comics used to be quite popular. And one of the crappiest comics was Manoj Comics which also shut down at that time. ........ when for every journey your parents had to buy you loads of comics to read during the journey. When everything used to be bartered with parents for comics. Like "haan karunga but I want this and this comics" ...... when Tintin and Asterix were a luxury comics and you would preserve them forever and brag it to your friends even though you possessed only a few Tintin comics. :giggle:

^ Raj comics were also my favourite I used to have huge collection of Bankelal' date=' Nagraj, Doga, Dhruv series[/quote'] I had a store room full of comics and novels in those times. Me and my friends were simply addicted to comics and novels. And comic trading used to work during our childhood. We used to often plan the comics purchasing so that we can read maximum comics with barter work. And then their brother sister also used to bring more comics and novels and it used to a huge comic mafia exchange. :D Doga was also quite good and was one of the earlier characters of Raj Comics. And all those comics used to bring out the digest issues also quite frequently.

Viru' date=' do you remember when they used to sell Tinkle Digest comics? Remember buying a ton of these 25 rupee comics and reading them on the flight.[/quote'] Yes I surely remember. I used to like the digest comics a lot more as the normal comics were very thin and the digest comics used to have a lot of content for almost 2.5-3 times the price. The normal comics in those days used to be 8-10 rs and the digest used to be 25. It was the case with all comics including Tinkle as well as Diamond and Raj comics if I remember.

Gokulam :giggle:
:hmmmm: which comics was that character .. I dont remember that one :hmmm: Shikari Shambhu was another funny character in Tinkle I suppose. :woot: Does anybody remember who were the main characters in Tinkle in those days.

all you 30yr olds dont belong here :mad: we 20yr old do.. we actually GREW up in the 90s !!!! B-> :icflove:
20 yr old guy/gal would be born in 1991 .. how can they grow up in the 90s .. the ones born in the early and mid 80s had grown up in the 90s :dontknow:

And Kapish the monkey.. I used to read lot's of Richie Rich $$$ comics.. I always wanted to order (by post) the items adverties in those comics.. I remember one of those was the "X-Ray Specs"..I wanted to buy one so that I can see someone naked.. :blush: