• Lillee/Thommo
    • Ambrose/Walsh
    • Wasim/Waqar
    • Roberts/Holding
    • Hadlee/Chatfield
    • Imran/Sarfraz
    • McGrath/Gillespie
    • Donald/Pollock
    • Others (Please post your choice as a post)

I opted for Wasim/Waqar for pace, yorkers, bouncers, slower ones, aggression, cutters and you name it they had it. They were absolutely lethal when they were at their peak. There are couple of issues though, one ball tampering and the other is that they mellowed down towards the end of their career.

Im surprised Lindwall -Miller aren't on that list. New ball duo for possibly the greatest team ever. I vote for them under 'other'
Unfortunately we will have to go by hearsay for that one. I don't reckon anyone's seen them in action here. In that case we could include Larwood and company too but you will have to go by hearsay. I included all that I've seen either live or through the archive videos.

Among the ones I've seen, it has to be Wasim and Waqar closely followed by Donald and Pollock. What the 2 Ws had over the all great pairs was variety. They could be as fast and as vicious as anyone else but also had mastery over the dark art known as reverse swing. That was their trump card.

I opted for Donald/Pollock mainly because they were without the support of any quality spinner in the side and still managed to work together in tandem not only with the new ball but also in later spells to consistently winkle out wickets. A lot of the pairings in the poll had a good support act but Donald/Pollock did not and both were obviously top notch bowlers in their own right.

Waqar is the most over hyped bowler ever. He had a good 2-3 years where he beat up NZ and Eng, both of whom have been suspect to express bowling historically. Besides that, all he was good at for the rest of his career was knocking over BD, Zim, and again NZ. His record against Australia and India, the best batting sides he came up against, is as useless as they come. Akram, on the other hand was a genius.

well thing with waqar-wasim pair was they never really used to fire together.. only on very few instances they did fire together.. .. they went with more individuality then team. both were pretty good but thing was not on same day.. on few occasions they might have been. Walsh/Ambrose had this in them, used to team up and thrash the opponent... one used to pressurize the batsman, then from the other end, the other took wickets.. amazing pair it was... one is bowling bouncers and has pressurized the batsman, then the other would continue his trend from the other end to make the life difficult for the player to play on either end.. my vote for this windies pair..

For a 5 year period from 1990 to about 1994/95( till Waqar had his 2nd serious back injury) the 2 Ws formed the perhaps the greatest bowling pair in the history of the game but overall i would perhaps go with Marshall and Holding.

Interesting snippet about Waqar' date=' take away his exploits against Zim, BD, and NZ and what's left is 223 wickets in 60 tests @ 26.9, not even 4 wickets per test match.[/quote'] One very important thing that people forget is Waqar's bowling SR in fact if i am not mistaken Waqar had the best SR among all the bowlers mentioned above.
One very important thing that people forget is Waqar's bowling SR in fact if i am not mistaken Waqar had the best SR among all the bowlers mentioned above.
Boosted by his exploits against Zim, BD, and NZ. His SR against Ind, Aus, and SA is in the 80s, 60s, and 50s. He was a superb minnow basher though, no doubt about it.
I voted 'other' since i think that the best fast bowling pair ever' date=' though it didnt last very long (ie, maybe 3-4 years) when Holding and Marshall hit their peaks in the early 80s.[/quote'] i concur. no way the Ws could hold a candle to that amazing opening duo.
Boosted by his exploits against Zim' date=' BD, and NZ. His SR against Ind, Aus, and SA is in the 80s, 60s, and 50s. He was a superb minnow basher though, no doubt about it.[/quote'] He barely even played against IND, i think in total he played a total of 4 test matches against them. The mere fact that you are mentioning a bowling SR in the 50s among his WORST performances just goes on to shows how good a bowler he was.

MP for someone who concedes 3.5 RPO in tests the only acceptable SR has to be in the 40s, otherwise he is going for too many runs for too few wickets. And that Waqar did not play more than 4 tests against India was not entirely circumstantial but because of the fact that he was not even good enough to make the Pak XI in '98-'99 and the fact that he could not even manage to sustain his career beyond the age of 30-31, which is when most fast bowlers are still doing pretty well.