3 or 4 local players must be selected

kubrickian

I liked the composition of teams in earlier seasons of IPL where 3 or 4 local players were always in the team. For instance, RCB had a Bangalore flavor to them with Kumble, Dravid, Uthappa, Manish Pandey and a couple of other Karnataka players. The current team doesnt look like a Bangalore outfit to me. Same with Kolkata, Hyderabad or Delhi teams. I find that the only team which is continuing this trend is CSK who are still persisting with Badri, Vijay, Anirudha etc. The reason I like the earlier combo is because the team reflects the strength of their domestic setup. For instance, if CSK is doing well that suggests they have a good domestic side. Delhi used to do well earlier because of players like Gambhir, Dhawan, Rajat Bhatia. Nehra etc. from their Ranji side but now that the composition is changed, the team looks weak. With the present setup, I feel players are playing for franchises just motivated by money and not for their state/city. Also from the perspective of fans, IPL is a region based tournament and they like to see players from their region doing well. I feel this flavor made IPL a much more competitive and better tournament in the earlier seasons and now it doesnt feel the same.

Again it is Indian premier league, not regional. Have a youth acadamy focusing on local regional players but surely no reason to make that rule for senior team. If this happens, it will have more problems, not only some teams will be totally neglected, but more importantly what is "local" itself. It will create more politics as local can be defined in terms of work, birth, parents and then what size is local area.

Again it is Indian premier league, not regional. Have a youth acadamy focusing on local regional players but surely no reason to make that rule for senior team.
It is Indian Premier League but its also a region/city/state based competition.
If this happens, it will have more problems, not only some teams will be totally neglected, but more importantly what is "local" itself. It will create more politics as local can be defined in terms of work, birth, parents and then what size is local area.
A local player is anyone who plays for the state/city in Ranji trophy that the franchise represents. Among the things that people liked in the earlier seasons was that the tournament is supposed to help the local players among other things. But with the current setup, I dont see that happening.

Ideally yes but since its a very short tournament ( 6 weeks, 14 games in league stage), it makes no sense for the teams to persist with unknown locals or pay a lot of money to them if they are not a good fit in their team. Besides, since the players are usually contracted for only 3 years, it makes no sense to invest in a player either. The good things is that this is free market and the players get their market price i.e. Balaji can get 500,000$ from KKR when Chennai was ready to pay him only 400,000$.

It is Indian Premier League but its also a region/city/state based competition. A local player is anyone who plays for the state/city in Ranji trophy that the franchise represents. Among the things that people liked in the earlier seasons was that the tournament is supposed to help the local players among other things. But with the current setup, I dont see that happening.
Well, local is indian, if you find that hard to accept, and you want regional fighting, go to Mumbai and watch that. Indian players have benefited a lot as every season we see there are 3-4 unknown players who are good enough to play for India.

Well' date=' local is indian, if you find that hard to accept, and you want regional fighting, go to Mumbai and watch that. Indian players have benefited a lot as every season we see there are 3-4 unknown players who are good enough to play for India.[/quote'] I want to see regional competition not fighting. There is a difference. It doesnt make much sense to me that nobody in Pune or Deccan is from the city itself. From a fan POV, how serious can one be supporting a Punjabi side with no Punjabis in it or RCB with nobody from the city in it. Surely this will make it tougher to get more people interested in the league as Indians are generally tied emotionally to their city/state and this is what made the IPL a success in the first place.

I want to see regional competition not fighting. There is a difference. It doesnt make much sense to me that nobody in Pune or Deccan is from the city itself. From a fan POV, how serious can one be supporting a Punjabi side with no Punjabis in it or RCB with nobody from the city in it. Surely this will make it tougher to get more people interested in the league as Indians are generally tied emotionally to their city/state and this is what made the IPL a success in the first place.
Well, now you have certainty said something interesting regarding fans. Just look at ICF forum, there are many here who support MI just for the sake of Sachin even over their local teams. When us, the fans have no clear loyalty towards players, how on you expect the team to select regional player specifically. Very irrelevant thread. You are making something out of purely nonsense