ICC proposes free hits for ODIs

King

The cruel irony is , most of the free hits i have seen have been lame mis-hits to long on or midwicket for a single to two. But it does add to the spice of the game , an expectation of what will happen of the free hit ball ..

Absolutely pointless' date=' if anything they should make it a bit harder for batsmen like not allowing legbyes.[/quote'] i second that... if the fraker cant hit it, he does not deserve to profit from it! i hate it when a batsman sneaks a legbye of my bowling when he tried to shuffle across the stumps in order to flick but ends up only miscuing and deflecting the ball towards deep leg... i will go a step further, remove intentional padding from ODI. offering the pad to a ball is fine when in tests especially if the bowler is attempting to force a mis hit from the batsman, but in ODIs it is just disrespectful of the bowler and wasteful of the spectator's time. and while we are at it, every time a bowler balls a maiden, the captain should award him in the next over with a super aggressive field positioning.
They should also allow free shot at the stump for a bowler if the batsman plays two consecutive dot balls.
funny story, in cairn's last international match, an Twenty 20 against South Africa i believe, the match was to be decided on the whimsical "free bowl at the stumps" i.e. the first team to knock over the stumps wins, both sides needed over 7 attempts before someone scored a hit!
i second that... if the fraker cant hit it, he does not deserve to profit from it! i hate it when a batsman sneaks a legbye of my bowling when he tried to shuffle across the stumps in order to flick but ends up only miscuing and deflecting the ball towards deep leg... i will go a step further, remove intentional padding from ODI. offering the pad to a ball is fine when in tests especially if the bowler is attempting to force a mis hit from the batsman, but in ODIs it is just disrespectful of the bowler and wasteful of the spectator's time. and while we are at it, every time a bowler balls a maiden, the captain should award him in the next over with a super aggressive field positioning.
While i agree with you on the leg bye situation , your other points defy logic... If i am a batsman , i have the right to decide which shot i play to a ball , let alone if i want to play a shot at all and pad it.How is it insulting to a bowler if a batsamn decides to pad it ? I would like to think it gives the bowler a great chance of an LBW. Give a bowler a supr agreesive field when he has bowled a maiden? This is not over-by-over exhibition. This is cricket , where situation change all the time. The bowler might have bowled the maiden to a tail-ender and in the next over , when he bowls to a proper batsman, he gets a "super-agressive" field ?
While i agree with you on the leg bye situation , your other points defy logic... If i am a batsman , i have the right to decide which shot i play to a ball , let alone if i want to play a shot at all and pad it.How is it insulting to a bowler if a batsamn decides to pad it ? I would like to think it gives the bowler a great chance of an LBW. Give a bowler a supr agreesive field when he has bowled a maiden? This is not over-by-over exhibition. This is cricket , where situation change all the time. The bowler might have bowled the maiden to a tail-ender and in the next over , when he bowls to a proper batsman, he gets a "super-agressive" field ?
humor and sarcasm are lost on you buddy.

Yup leg bye is a scam in cricket. Why the heck does a team get rewarded with runs when the batter can't hit the ball? Leg bye qualifies as one of the most stupid rule in any international sport. One problem though if this rule is changed. We will need third umpires with snickometer to judge whether the batter hit the ball or not as many a times an inside edge is not obvious to the umpires. I suppose it is better be left unchanged otherwise we will have third umpire judging the leg byes too.

Absolutely agree with that. Plus I like a choice of extra fielder in the 2nd and 3rd powerplay out side the circle. That way some of the crazy batters can be checked and the match will be more exciting. I hate when Sehwag style batsman can pretty much hit anywhere to score runs. At least opposition should have choice of 3 players outside the circle. It will make it fair for the bolwers.... And no over throws if ball hits the stumps...