Rahul Dravid - Greatest Indian Batsman? A profile of the stylish master...

Robelinda

Bradman is nothing compared to this great Indian batsman, right? He is OK in test matches and in bowler friendly conditions. Everywhere else he is a liability. Sorry Dravid fans but that is how it is.
I would say that he is more suited to task given to him according to his ability. If you're a captain you like to have such players whose abilities are limitations are known and you can always trust that he will do justice to his talent most of the time. I won't like players who have the abilities (Yusuf Pathan), but can use that rarely to good effect. That's why Sehwag and Dravid are special players in their own domain. Players like Sachin and Lara are exception.

^ Although he plays slowly, but I enjoy his batting for his brilliant shots. Someone like Akash Chopra was also a very slow batsman, but he had limited strokes. He tried to play mostly straight. That kind of batting bores me. In case of Dravid, after blocking some decent deliveries he is always quick to put bad deliveries to boundary. Those majestic cuts, flcik, pull are a treat to watch.

^ Although he plays slowly' date=' but I enjoy his batting for his brilliant shots. Someone like Akash Chopra was also a very slow batsman, but he had limited strokes. He tried to play mostly straight. That kind of batting bores me. In case of Dravid, after blocking some decent deliveries he is always quick to put bad deliveries to boundary. Those majestic cuts, flcik, pull are a treat to watch.[/quote'] I see your point mate! One day I shall convince myself to enjoy RD's batting. Do not know when that day will arrive. I am in complete agreement with you on this. But for some reason when somebody even remotely tries to suggest that RD is greater than SRT, then somehow I get mad (Think post above is enough demonstration of that :winky:). If I wear a shrink's hat for a moment, I think, I find RD > SRT so outrageous that I subconsciously try to match that outrageous-ness by posting equally outrageous statement against RD. Your assessment seems spot on to my head but somehow my heart says, no he is a boring bat! I am fine with SRT being compared with Viv/Ponting/Lara/Inzy/Aravinda, for that matter our own Viru and VVS. Fair enough I think.

I see your point mate! One day I shall convince myself to enjoy RD's batting. Do not know when that day will arrive. I am in complete agreement with you on this. But for some reason when somebody even remotely tries to suggest that RD is greater than SRT, then somehow I get mad (Think post above is enough demonstration of that :winky:). If I wear a shrink's hat for a moment, I think, I find RD > SRT so outrageous that I subconsciously try to match that outrageous-ness by posting equally outrageous statement against RD. Your assessment seems spot on to my head but somehow my heart says, no he is a boring bat! I am fine with SRT being compared with Viv/Ponting/Lara/Inzy/Aravinda, for that matter our own Viru and VVS. Fair enough I think.
:blink:

I see your point mate! One day I shall convince myself to enjoy RD's batting. Do not know when that day will arrive. I am in complete agreement with you on this. But for some reason when somebody even remotely tries to suggest that RD is greater than SRT, then somehow I get mad (Think post above is enough demonstration of that :winky:). If I wear a shrink's hat for a moment, I think, I find RD > SRT so outrageous that I subconsciously try to match that outrageous-ness by posting equally outrageous statement against RD. Your assessment seems spot on to my head but somehow my heart says, no he is a boring bat! I am fine with SRT being compared with Viv/Ponting/Lara/Inzy/Aravinda, for that matter our own Viru and VVS. Fair enough I think.
:hysterical::hysterical:

:hysterical::hysterical:
Given Inzy's records, that laughter seems justified at first. But if you believe in what you see, rather than getting your thinking muddled up by numbers, then that laughter seems misplaced. I have seen Inzy bat with great ease against quality fast bowlers and quality spinners. Going by what I have seen, I rate him right up there. I have no doubts in my mind that if Inzy had even half of Tendlya's commitment and zeal to excel, we would have seen statistically great Inzy too.

Given Inzy's records, that laughter seems justified at first. But if you believe in what you see, rather than getting your thinking muddled up by numbers, then that laughter seems misplaced. I have seen Inzy bat with great ease against quality fast bowlers and quality spinners. Going by what I have seen, I rate him right up there. I have no doubts in my mind that if Inzy had even half of Tendlya's commitment and zeal to excel, we would have seen statistically great Inzy too.
How did you assume I was going by his records :confused: He was not a bad batsman, good against spinners. Used to come down the pitch and used his feet well and played powerful shots down the ground. Against pacers his leg side shots were decent but off side play left much to be desired when you want to compare him with ATGs There is daylight between SRT, Lara, Punter and the likes of Inzi.