1 in 100 have HIV in India

Rajiv

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/One_out_of_100_Indians_HIV-positive/articleshow/2096115.cms Thats freaking staggering So how does this work then, a host spreading the disease or all these people had some contact with each other at one point? I am curious, how did it enter the system, and since a child can get it from the mother too, there is no chance of them surviving to pass it on 1 in 100 is just too low man, so outta 1 billion...10 million have HIV thats almost 25% of Canadian Popuation

10 million is just the reported numbers. because of the taboo associated with the disease , i m sure many people openly declare if they have HIV or not. Apart from sexual transmission , the other most common form of the virus spreading is through re-used syringes, mainly by drug addicts. And if a child gets HIV from its mom , does not mean it has to die immediately. If given proper medical treatment , it can still live.

So how does this work then, a host spreading the disease or all these people had some contact with each other at one point? I am curious, how did it enter the system
I will (for now) disregard the drug-related transmission issue because it is only an issue with IV syringes. And lets face it, drugs that require syringe ( cocaine, heroin etc) are really expensive drugs that are the domain of the really rich in India. I think it entered India through prostitution because whether we admit it or not, prostitution is a big problem in India. I've been past locales like GD in Delhi or Sonagachi in Kolkata and the number of people who go there as sex client is staggering and most often are 'supposedly average middle class/upper middle class men who you'd respect no differently than respectable posters such as yourself, Dhondy, etc. I am not saying that anyone here is that type but the people who do 'hide behind' the mask of 'shareef admi' that goes whooring in the redlight districts is staggering. Call me evil but i do not know if i am to feel good about this AIDS crisis in India or bad. On one hand, the humanitarian argument in seeing AIDS as a catastrophe is very powerful but on the other hand, overpopulation is one of the biggest challenges India is facing currently to its survival...

Any guy who goes to prostitutes and has unprotected sex should be hanged for willful attempt to murder his wife and unborn children.
Protected sex with a prostitiute is ok then? What about the prostitute who has unprotected sex. Should she not be hanged for wilful attempt to murder the man and the mans wife and unborn child?

Protected sex with a prostitiute is ok then? What about the prostitute who has unprotected sex. Should she not be hanged for wilful attempt to murder the man and the mans wife and unborn child?
i think it shud b both ways.. anyone (both the client and the pros) whos into unprotected sex with prostitutes shud be hanged.. as for as sex with a prostitute.. i think its ok if the individual is ok with it.. its up to his decision.. but with respect to safety i dont mind if tht unprotectedness is gonna kill only him.. but thts not the case.. its gonna be dangerous for the society as hes gonna spread to others as well... but i still cant imagine how these guys r going to those red light areas in India..even the look of it doesnt make u horny.. does it? i get only a disgusted feeling when i see the areas and the girls in the TV... wonder how desparate n frustrated these guys r...

Guest dada_rocks

Man I will have to stop visiting the barber shop while in India.... Damn those juciy gossips which takes me to those joints

Guest dada_rocks
Any guy who goes to prostitutes and has unprotected sex should be hanged for willful attempt to murder his wife and unborn children.
I am with you on this one.. How about those who do it with normal fun-seeking gals not prostitutes

1 in 100 is just too low man, so outta 1 billion...10 million have HIV thats almost 25% of Canadian Popuation
While I find that number too high, I am also of the opinion that the number of people affected by HIV in India would be considerable. I think we tend to concentrate too much on spread of AIDS via sexual contacts. What about blood exchange/transfusion? Yes everytime a person's blood is tested a new syringe is to be used, but I have seen how thats given a pass. Or how about going to a local barber and having a shave? You think the village barber changes his blade for every single shave? think again. xxx

does tht mean the population will go down heavily after say 4 r 5 yeas??.. assuming tht ppl whos have HIV + wont survive after 5 yrs.. it wud be really cool and good for India if tht happens.... :)
Err..People dying is not "cool"... whichever way you look at it. Seems as though according to you , its O.K for people with terminal illness or other contagious diseases to die. And the population of a country is mere number. We dont have to get defensive as Indians just because India has a population of over a billion.I get really pissed when people from other countries make mocking comments about our population. Population as such is not a bad thing. Its people AND PEOPLE ARE VALUABLE. And the only way to stop preventing AIDS by spreading awareness. And we can start with the thousands of lorry drivers in India, who are among the biggest percentage of people who are infected with the virus. These drivers are sometimes away from home weeks together and their only source of busting stress is having sex. And i wouldnt blame the prostitutes for having unprotected sex. It seems the "customers" dont get the same level of "satisfaction" they get having protected sex when compared to having unprotected sex.

Guest dada_rocks
does tht mean the population will go down heavily after say 4 r 5 yeas??.. assuming tht ppl whos have HIV + wont survive after 5 yrs.. it wud be really cool and good for India if tht happens.... :)
Man u are wicked.. But am sorry to say the first thing which came to my mind was exactly the same.

1)Protected sex with a prostitute constitutes adultery.Unprotected sex puts his family at risk of death . 2)Since the man has gone to the prostitute ...it is more like a death wish. The prostitute is indirectly responsible but the man who goes out of his way to get the disease home is the man responsible for the families misery.He deserves nothing less than the punishment for willful murder most foul .No sympathy for such bastards .They deserve to die like dogs.Most women infected in India (apart from prostitutes) are poor wives who put their lives in the hands of their undeserving husbands.

I hope you didn't mean it literally but figuratively, since it'd be a very dumb position to hold if meant literally. As for protitution, prostitution is a social ill that is related to far bigger and deep seated issues in society that no short-sighted 'ban prostitution, ban unprotected sex, hang prostitutes, imprison those who go to them etc' kind of policies will even begin to cure. Mind you, prostitution is at many levels and for many reasons. I am highly sympathetic to the general prostitution women in Asia because almost always it is either a case of 'being born into it' , forced into it or the only way out in terms of survival. ( Where there is poverty, there is prostitution and no force on the planet can change that. Period) In Europe and North Americas however, prostitution is of a completely different concept- it is either a means to get very rich (yes, high lvl prostitutes here are super-rich and almost millionaires) or a way to support their drug habit.

>>>>I hope you didn't mean it literally but figuratively, since it'd be a very dumb position to hold if meant literally. It would be difficult to actually hang these creeps who don't give a thought before infecting their poor wives.But it is still murder and more fowl than any other murder because here you knowingly ,willfully are putting the risk of the very people you are supposed to care for.(i hold the same view about women who infect their husbands) as for prostitutes...i do believe most of them don't have much choice .Poor women (most of them ) do not even have the choice of protecting themselves ...

The prostitute is indirectly responsible but the man who goes out of his way to get the disease home is the man responsible for the families misery.He deserves nothing less than the punishment for willful murder most foul .No sympathy for such bastards .They deserve to die like dogs.Most women infected in India (apart from prostitutes) are poor wives who put their lives in the hands of their undeserving husbands.
Blame social structure in India for that. Oh and Indian women going to the red light districts ( though those tend to be middle aged Aunties) isn't unseen either. But anyways, to the social issue - premarital sex is a huge taboo in Indian societies and unmarried couples living together is seriously looked down upon. Remove this obstracle and prostitution related problems in India will plumet. The reason for that is simple too - mankind is a curious animal and sexuality is one of its biggest fascinations. There is a very genuine 'i wonder what it will be like with someone else because i've had it only with one person-my hubby/wife' line of thought in 'one partner' sexual model of life. In a society that is tolerant of unmarried sexual practices ( ie, sex between unmarried people), this question/curiosity is easily satisfied by sexual relations with multiple partners before one finds 'the one', usually in their teens/20s. In a society that is seriously intolerant of sexual practices outside of marriage, the scope of getting this dilemma answered at teenage levels/20s level is seriously diminished, resulting in people getting into the ' one sexual partner for life' (ie, sex = after marriage) models and breaking the mould after years/decade of living in suspsense. The common idea that a sexually more tolerant society would further worsen the STDs/AIDS problem in the world is an illusion created through ignorance. The spreading pattern of HIV is the biggest refuter of this common objection from the conservatives - it is a FACT that HIV is spreading the fastest in conservative cultures than in the west. Simply because, when one has the social situation prevalent in India (in terms of sexuality), it creates the 'bottle-neck effect' which is the very damaging/dangerous aspect of sexuality. 'bottle-neck' effect in here is because the social norms of India are forcing a situation where pre-martial/extra-marital sex involves going to people who see hundreds of 'customers' a month. It is this extreme number of peoples going to one person that is causing the STD explosion- because the risk of infection in a case-by-case issue is exponential. While in the west, where sexuality is much relaxed, this bottleneck effect is avoided by a larger number of people because in general, while western people have more sexual partners in their lifetime on average, the 'contact field' is far more limited and it is much more 'cell-divided' model, where each person maybe has sexual contact with 5-10 people, who've had contact with 5-10 people etc. These people mostly don't need to go to prostitutes and as a result, are cutting out the people with 10000+ partners in their lifetime out of the loop. This is a clear case (in my opinion) why relaxation of sexual uptightedness, particularly relating to pre-marital sex, would benifit India immeasurably.

Should there be Mandatory testing? in case of marriages which take place in court. The culture and traditions we have, it's taboo to even raise an issue like this, especially for the poor The women will keep quiet and this roller coaster will go on