Do you support Abortion? (Excluding gender selection)

ganeshran

CricAddict raised this interesting question in the other sex-ratio thread. I thought it deserves a thread of its own. Do you support abortion, provided its done in a safe manner and not for reasons like preference for the male child? Or do you consider it ending of a life even though the baby isnt born yet?

Well yeh, most aborted kids are from single/poor moms so the kid would end up growing up in poverty and not having a good quality of life. Also saves the government money on the benefits the child will receive and when they would probably eventually end up in prison.

Well yeh' date=' most aborted kids are from single/poor moms so the kid would end up growing up in poverty and not having a good quality of life. Also saves the government money on the benefits the child will receive and when they would probably eventually end up in prison.[/quote'] Well, this is the effects side of it: There are studies which show that a rise in abortion correlates with lower crime rates. Then again, you could make a similar case for eugenics purely based on its effects on society, etc. Purely from principle, its a genuinely tricky question: when does a child/fetus have a right to its own life? I've got no idea. I suppose I'm open to any arguments from principle.

Personally I am against Abortion. No one has any right to kill an innocent child. Regarding Serani's point, if they knew that the child would end up living in poverty, then they should have thought about it 10 times regarding this.

Yes. People do make mistakes and it makes no sense to bring a child into this world when those who conceived the child think it was a mistake. A child deserves loving/caring parents who think having the child is the best thing that could happen to them. Parents also deserve the right to correct the mistake instead of making it a life long problem for all concerned. And why exactly is this the concern of anyone but the parents is beyond me.

Yes ,In case of Therapeutic abortion i.e in-case of abnormalities in the fetus is found or in the case when it necessary to save the life of the mother . Otherwise ,I'm against it ,but then again ,I will leave it to the parents as its their personal matter .

Here's what I am gathering from the responses to both threads: it should be up to the parents (mostly mother), unless there is gender-discrimination. Extrapolating a bit, I think there is virtual consensus here that it should be legal to terminate any pregnancy if the parents (mostly mothers) want it, unless they are preferentially terminating female pregnancies. For the record, I am an atheist who is unabashedly pro-life, except in the cases where (a) the mother had no choice in the sex act (rape/incest) or (b) the mother's health would be in serious jeopardy were the pregnancy to continue. I am not here to argue my position - it is unshakable for me as it will be for most of the pro-choicers here (and I respect your position while disagreeing with it). I only want to try to juxtapose the opinions on feticide and female feticide and try to find something that clearly distinguishes the two issues.

Well yeh' date=' most aborted kids are from single/poor moms so the kid would end up growing up in poverty and not having a good quality of life. Also saves the government money on the benefits the child will receive and when they would probably eventually end up in prison.[/quote'] Those single poor moms should be responsible enough to use protection beforehand, rather than end up getting pregnant with a child they don't want.