How many of you have pets?

Bublu Bhuyan

There's a huge difference.
It really depends on what you like the dogs for. Alot of people wont care if they are adopting a pedigree or stray dog,because dogs grow up as you want them to or train them to. Just like you wont adopt a full grown lab because you say you know the breeds characteristics,will you? Each dog is different based on how they are brought up. It looks like you havent really interacted with alot of dogs..well then you should :icflove: You like most others prefer pedigree dogs because they are so pretty. Fair enough. But your entire arguement of 'better to have no pets than stray','not loyal,loving,caring','will show their true traits (lolwut :cantstop:)',is quite silly and rubbished by the large number of people who adopt stray pups.

It really depends on what you like the dogs for. Alot of people wont care if they are adopting a pedigree or stray dog,because dogs grow up as you want them to or train them to. Just like you wont adopt a full grown lab because you say you know the breeds characteristics,will you? Each dog is different based on how they are brought up. It looks like you havent really interacted with alot of dogs..well then you should :icflove: You like most others prefer pedigree dogs because they are so pretty. Fair enough. But your entire arguement of 'better to have no pets than stray','not loyal,loving,caring','will show their true traits (lolwut :cantstop:)',is quite silly and rubbished by the large number of people who adopt stray pups.
+1. The not loyal or loving argument is total BS.

The one we have now started sleeping in our compound one fine day. It was healthy and had a good temperament and has the most meltingly beautiful big brown eyes you can imagine. He wore a collar so we waited for someone to come looking for him, finally figured that whoever his owners were had moved away and abandoned him. He's been "Ramses" since. He's a gentle soul and rarely barks except when there are unknown faces at the gate.

I wouldn't mind getting a German Shepherd actually, doubles up as security guard at night. Bonus if its toilet trained, I don't want it *****ing all over my house. --- german-shepherd-dogbreed.jpg
You won't find a more loyal dog to it's family than a German Shepherd. As for outsiders, it'll be a gunda of the highest order. And it's extremely easy to potty train them. But it won't work until they are about 6-7 months old, until that age they don't have control over their bladder muscles.

It really depends on what you like the dogs for. Alot of people wont care if they are adopting a pedigree or stray dog' date='because dogs grow up as you want them to or train them to. Just like you wont adopt a full grown lab because you say you know the breeds characteristics,will you? [b']Each dog is different based on how they are brought up. It looks like you havent really interacted with alot of dogs..well then you should :icflove:
Nopes. A Labrador Retriever or Golden Retriever can never be aggressive to anyone even if you train it to be so for all it's life. Likewise, a German Shepherd can never be polite and tame to strangers and outsiders no matter how much you train it. Those are their basic characteristics, and it never changes. Each dog can however be different in the sense that some of them might be a little laid back while some might more a bit hyper active. Mind you, being hyper active doesn't translate to aggressiveness. It simply means they love playing around and are a bit more active than you'd like them to.
You like most others prefer pedigree dogs because they are so pretty. Fair enough. But your entire arguement of 'better to have no pets than stray','not loyal,loving,caring','will show their true traits (lolwut :cantstop:)',is quite silly and rubbished by the large number of people who adopt stray pups.
I personally wouldn't want a stray pup or dog. With a Labrador Retriever or Golden Retriever, I can be assured they'll never, ever display any type of aggression (neither towards it's family or towards strangers). As long as they are mentally healthy, the family is safe. Can't say the same for stray dogs. There have been many instances I know of where people adopt stray dogs and they live happily together, only for it to snap one day and create a terrible scene in the family.

The one we have now started sleeping in our compound one fine day. It was healthy and had a good temperament and has the most meltingly beautiful big brown eyes you can imagine. He wore a collar so we waited for someone to come looking for him' date=' finally figured that whoever his owners were had moved away and abandoned him. He's been "Ramses" since. He's a gentle soul and rarely barks except when there are unknown faces at the gate.[/quote'] What a shame! Is it a stray dog or does it belong to a pedigree breed? Such irresponsible pet owners make me sick.

Are you telling me that based on personal experience or internet reading ? Most of my family and friends are dog lovers..so i have seen and observed ALOT of dogs! Some friendly,some laid back,aggressive,happy etc. I dont think that I cant really pin point any single breed being exclusively friendly or aggressive! Every dog snaps,growls until their are taught/trained what is right or wrong. Havent you ever instructed your 'friendly' breed? Only when you train them over long periods do they understand that a NO means that they should stop what they are doing. Am sure there were bad experiences with stray dogs in a lot of families. But lemme tell you that there are have been such reports even in case of the purebreds!

I personally wouldn't want a stray pup or dog.
And there ! Thats how you say it, you personally wouldnt adopt,fair enough. But saying that 'rather have no dog than stray' is nothing better than calling dogs 'useless creatures'

Are you telling me that based on personal experience or internet reading ?
I know of many people personally who have had terrible experiences with stray dogs after having lived with them lovingly for years.
Am sure there were bad experiences with stray dogs in a lot of families. But lemme tell you that there are have been such reports even in case of the purebreds
Which is why it's so important to get a pup from a good and well known bloodline. It's really important to make sure it's family tree had no undesirable traits previously.

Stray dogs arent some creatures which carry hidden evil traits from misdeeds of previous generations. If you adopt it at a very young age and train it properly, it will be just as non aggressive as a pedigree dog. And just as loving too. From the two dogs I have seen out of personal experience, the stray one is the more loving and comes running to me and dances all around excitedly. It then lies down wanting to get its tummy rubbed. The pedigree dog doesnt even care. It goes just "Meh" and comes near me, smells a bit and walks away. Hardly shows any emotion (But its puppies were very loving).

Both Tuffy and Moti are healthy and alive?
Moti is quite old. Nearly 12 and not the beast it used to be. Tuffy is just 7 and in the prime of its health. Also, I'm with Aaku and Ganesh here. Moti is the pedigreed hound, purchased from a well known Parsi dog breeder from the city. Moti was tougher to potty train, more volatile in situations when strangers came at home and more difficult to control when we took it for evening strolls, partly because it is a huge animal. Tuffy on the other hand was a quicker learner, in spite of being a stray. In fact, it is the smarter of the two dogs. If I return home and have a smile on my face Tuffy reacts with the happy yelps and expects a biscuit or two. If I have a frown on my face, Tuffy doesn't bother me or makes that " whats wrong " face. If I tip toe home late, and make the shhh symbol, Tuffy doesn't make any noise. :P Moti on the other used to react in the same way irrespective of my mood. But these are just my experiences and may not be the norm. Maybe its because the breeds are different and the animals have different intellectual capabilities. Maybe in case of a pedigreed Doberman vs stray Doberman ( rare case), the pedigreed one would be a better bet.

American Spitz. Bas unlike other spitz we keep his hair trimmed so he looks more like a lamb :icflove: Koi ladki ho nazar mein bete ke liye tou batana :((
You have an American Spitz? :hatsoff: Me izzz jealous :(( :icflove:

What a shame! Is it a stray dog or does it belong to a pedigree breed? Such irresponsible pet owners make me sick.
He's a mongrel. But not wolf-like. Even, healthy coat, deep chest that tapers to a well-turned tail and very intelligent. Likes exploring the garden and loves his evening walks.

The wolf-like strain, that most people are cautious of especially when there's a newborn in the house, can also be safe if the dog is normally gentle. being a pack animal, dogs need to be socialized with new babies.