Whatmore out of the race.......

Ford a contender in two-horse race Cricinfo staff June 4, 2007 spacer.gif45085.jpg?alt=1 Graham Ford: called up for discussion © Getty Images India's search for a national coach has been reduced to a two-horse race. The Indian board has decided to call Graham Ford for discussions along with another foreign candidate, whose name they couldn't reveal since they hadn't been able to still ascertain his availability. This implies that Dav Whatmore, the former Bangladesh coach, has been ruled out of the coaching job. "We have decided to invite Ford and another coach of foreign origin for discussions on June 9 in Chennai," Board Treasurer N Srinivasan, a member of the committee appointed to select the coach, told reporters after the meeting. "We have not been able to reach the second person so far but we hope to do it soon," Srinivasan said. "We had made contact with Whatmore before. By implication you can say that Whatmore is out of contention," he added. Arjuna Ranatunga, whose name has been doing the rounds, has emerged as the other strong contender. The board's meeting began in Bangalore at 8:30pm and went on for about an hour and a half. More to follow ...

Arjuna Ranatunga ? Bwahahahaha!Imagine the sheep giving our players a pep talk on fitness, fielding and running between the wickets. I dont want to see our players ask for a runner every single time they walk out to bat. Ranatunga will not command the respect a white guy will naturally command from our players.

Gavaskar recommends Ranatunga......:afraid:
I have mixed reaction on this one. Ranatunga is as close to what we can get with regards to someone with sub-continent background but non-Indian. The last part(non-Indian) is obviously important or else the coach would remain susceptible to the routine "zonal bias" propaganda that we seem to get. Add to that the part that Ranatunga is a proven customer when it comes to taking on the big-wigs of the world cricket, rear new talents and basically instill a steel in the team and he does seem like a good option. On the other hand the coach first and most important is to coach and on this Ranatunga's track record is practically zero. To compound problems the support for Ranatunga comes from Sunny who is a known Aussie baiter, as is Ranatunga so connect the dots yourself. Suffice to say that after 3-4 months drama BCCI doesnt have a clue about what it wants and Indian cricket stands the same place it was back then. xxx

>>>> To compound problems the support for Ranatunga comes from Sunny who is a known Aussie baiter, as is Ranatunga so connect the dots yourself achha ...now i get why sunny is allergic to whatmore:lightbulb:(he is aussie na???:hmmmm:)

achha ...now i get why sunny is allergic to whatmorelightbulb.gif(he is aussie na???:hmmmm:
Whatmore is 'quasi-aussie'. He is aussie citizen from aussie parents but born in Colombo, lived in Asia for much more years than in Australia, childhood in SL too etc. He is the best facking coach India can dream of having - not only is Whatmore's coaching brilliant (it has shown clear results with Sri Lanka in the past as well as Bangladesh), his subcontinental background means he understands the subcontinental issues fully and very well.
Gavaskar has been questioning Whatmores credentials in his Paper articles apparently... Winning a WC not good enough for ol Sunny then
i agree with gavaskar here.... he dint handle the BD team tht well during his last days... the toss decision in the 2nd test was horrenderous.. he lost his credibility there i guess.... so how can u go for such a coach?
He is the best facking coach India can dream of having - not only is Whatmore's coaching brilliant (it has shown clear results with Sri Lanka in the past as well as Bangladesh), his subcontinental background means he understands the subcontinental issues fully and very well.
comeon, dont hype him as the dream coach.. he is a good coach and thts it... its not tht only he can be the best coach for india... he mite have had success with srilanka n BD.. but they r diff bunch altogether when compared to indian team.. indian players r spoiled brats.. so u never know how successful whatmore can be .... he cud also fail..
i agree with gavaskar here.... he dint handle the BD team tht well during his last days... the toss decision in the 2nd test was horrenderous.. he lost his credibility there i guess.... so how can u go for such a coach?
Retarded reasoning to judge a coach by one mistake because everybody sometimes or another makes a mistake. Plus toss-batting issue is far more in the hands/understanding of the captain than the coach - players can estimate the nature of the pitch far far better than coaches can in general. Toss decision almost always is on the captain's head.
comeon, dont hype him as the dream coach.. he is a good coach and thts it... its not tht only he can be the best coach for india... he mite have had success with srilanka n BD.. but they r diff bunch altogether we compared to indian team.. indian players r spoiled brats.. so u never know how successful whatmore can be .... he cud also fail..
Whatmore is no Jesus Christ - but i still think he is the LIKELIEST coach to succeed with India.
Retarded reasoning to judge a coach by one mistake because everybody sometimes or another makes a mistake. Plus toss-batting issue is far more in the hands/understanding of the captain than the coach - players can estimate the nature of the pitch far far better than coaches can in general. Toss decision almost always is on the captain's head.
well i think its more abt the attitude than the result.... how come an aggressive tigers (BD team) turned into a defensive cows in this India series?? prolly whatmore wanted to win some indian hearts....so he cut loose ... i think he seemed to b more oppurtunistic in this case... yes toss decision is made by the captain on the field.. dont tell me tht this is not being discussed in the team meeting prior to toss.. and dont tell me tht whatmore has got no say.....
how come an aggressive tigers (BD team) turned into a defensive cows in this India series??
They did extremely well in the 1st test, so the series was not a failure for BD by any stretch. The 2nd test apathy from Whatmore can easily be explained by BCB's attitude towards him for talking to the BCCI.
and dont tell me tht whatmore has got no say.
Anyone can have a say. Point is, Whatmore (or most coaches) are not the best person to make this call in the first place!