Should gurus and babas lead political campaigns?

1983-2011

Guest Gunner
Amid a raging controversy over black money allegedly stashed by stud farm owner Hasan Ali in Swiss banks' date=' [b']Switzerland has said it is awaiting a "complete" request from India for help in this case since 2007. http://news.in.msn.com/national/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4866783
Oh boss, you have to complete your prosecution and prove it is illegal. What do you want to go and give the swiss, driving license forms in triplicate?

Guest Gunner
Fair enough. But I didn't call Indian people a " mass of people that stupid", you did. I got in the Hitler example to show that this stupidity ( and worse) can happen even in nations with high literacy rates and lower corruption. Lots of morons have been elected from the Western countries. Is it because the masses there are that stupid? My point was Baba or no Baba, the voting patterns of Indian people do not indicate their stupidity levels.
I said if they vote vor this guy then they are a "mass of people that stupid". I didn't make that claim as a generic accusation of Indian people. Further you have to think beyond the 200 mill educated people, the rest are not that celver, are they? The hitler example is still wrong since he did several things such as making a deal with the pope etc which got him into power, it was not a simple democratic act. It was the nazi part which won the election, he wasn't voted to be the Fuehrer if memory serves me right. He just assumed that role. Why do you care what anyone else does? the frame of the discussion is about India, isn't it?
Why is the Indian junta digging a bigger hole for itself if they vote for this Baba? I didn't quite follow your point.
Because they are looking for a miracle saviour or new laws to save them and this is not how it works. If you keep looking for a miracle saviour you will only get a dictator, taking your earlier example this is what happened in the Weimer Republic. Secondly, you don't need new laws you just need people to follow the existing ones.

Oh boss' date=' you have to complete your prosecution and prove it is illegal. What do you want to go and give the swiss, driving license forms in triplicate?[/quote'] Yeah, since 2007. The Govt. can always delay in the name of 'completing investigations'. Check what Supreme court has said about Enforcement Directorate (ED) recently. Do you agree that if Supreme court hadn't been monitoring the Spectrum case, Raja, Kani, loads of Big bosses, officials were not sitting in Tihar jail now.. You see, the Govt. needs somebody to kick the ass.. Don't go by what Govt. says.. "Hum Dekhte rahin hain, Hum Dekh Rahe Hain, Hum Dekhte Rahenge, Humein Dekhana Hain.." all these are Kangressi phrases. Don't let them mislead you..

Congress itself is a queen of corruption, they have ruled India for 59 years now and done nothing till now . Neither they can tackle corruption nor they can tackle terrorism .I'm sick of these ba**tards.I'm damn sure from PM to secretory all have black money stashed somewhere .

Guest Gunner
Yeah, since 2007. The Govt. can always delay in the name of 'completing investigations'. Check what Supreme court has said about Enforcement Directorate (ED) recently. Do you agree that if Supreme court hadn't been monitoring the Spectrum case, Raja, Kani, loads of Big bosses, officials were not sitting in Tihar jail now.. You see, the Govt. needs somebody to kick the ass.. Don't go by what Govt. says.. "Hum Dekhte rahin hain, Hum Dekh Rahe Hain, Hum Dekhte Rahenge, Humein Dekhana Hain.." all these are Kangressi phrases. Don't let them mislead you..
That is exactly what I am saying. The government is so lacking in will to do the right thing that whether the swiss had asked in 2007 or 1907 it would make no difference. Since you haven't prosecuted you have nothing to give the Swiss. The swiss will release any illegal money kept in their banks but you must prove it is illegal, you can't just make claims.

That is exactly what I am saying. The government is so lacking in will to do the right thing that whether the swiss had asked in 2007 or 1907 it would make no difference. Since you haven't prosecuted you have nothing to give the Swiss. The swiss will release any illegal money kept in their banks but you must prove it is illegal' date=' you can't just make claims.[/quote'] It's not lack of will. It's something more sinister. However the Swiss guys only need a more formal request. You cannot presecute in India unless you have eveidence in your hands given by Swiss authorities. But you'll not get proper evidence fro Swiss authorities if you don't make a "formal request". The Govt. agencies are deliberately not making a formal request. That's why the Supreme court is stepping in now. The Civil society too have to keep the pressure on by whichever way possible...

It's not lack of will. It's something more sinister. However the Swiss guys only need a more formal request. You cannot presecute in India unless you have eveidence in your hands given by Swiss authorities. But you'll not get proper evidence fro Swiss authorities if you don't make a "formal request". The Govt. agencies are deliberately not making a formal request. That's why the Supreme court is stepping in now. The Civil society too have to keep the pressure on by whichever way possible...
+1

I'm sorry to say, but I find some of the views here very harsh. So what if he is a Baba? He is taking up this fast for a very just cause. So far, it is safe to say that he is not corrupt as he hasn't had any real political power. If we, the people of India can vote in actors, criminals, scions of maharajahs, theatre personalities, why should we have any qualms against a Baba contesting. I don't understand this double standard. Really don't.
I think Mariyam is spot on here. It is not about Baba. It is about the cause. But I have a question to you Mariyam. Can all black money planted abroad be simply called "national asset" and be brough back to India

I thik Baba Ramdev is trying to make a mega entry in 2014 general elections. If he gets elected' date=' Yoga will become compulsary in every school and jail:hysterical::hysterical:[/quote'] well maybe then we can have the physique as the big strong handsome pathans from the west and maybe even have a few phast bowlers.

I am very disappointed by Baba Ramdev and I think he is advised by wrong people. Otherwise I can't imagine he setting out cashing in on fasting which Anna Hazare has successufully done. Now Government is in due process with Civil society for Lokpal bill, whats the motive behind starting another fasting? How can he expect to solve black money issue by fasting? These international issues are going to take time. In the process, he is also derailing Civil society's fight against corruption and lokpal bill. At least Anna Hazare had a clear motive, to legislate a strong lokpal bill but Baba is all talk. He is using this to set platform for his future political aspirations, thats all.

^ As usual the English media , like during the Anna's campaign, is shooting the messenger. Can't expect anything better from the champus ruling roost at NDTV, IBN etc who have been honoured with Padma Sri by the ruling party. It's for times like these that the govt has bought them over to its side, to launch a sustained campaign against anyone who tries to show the public how they have been fooled by those in power. Whatever be Baba's motive, end of the day, its a fight against corruption. If it forces the govt to do something , I am all for it. He has a mass base, he wants to mobilise the support into a movement against an inactive government, I don't see why anyone should have a problem. If instead of Baba Ramdev, this was Maulana XYZ or Father XYZ or Jathedar XYZ leading such a campaign, I will always support such movements. Politicians in the government and opposition have failed the nation, it's time a mass movement shows these politicos why they cannot take the public for granted.

^ NDTV trying very hard to trace and locate RSS people in the campaign..Trying to give it a "saffron colour" campaign to "destabalise" the govt. They were gleefully surprised to see Sadhvi Ritambhara on the stage and tried to give it a "Babri Masjid Convicts with Ramdev" colour.. For years Congress has invested in NDTV and it's time like this when you ask for a favour..

I'm sorry to say, but I find some of the views here very harsh. So what if he is a Baba? He is taking up this fast for a very just cause. So far, it is safe to say that he is not corrupt as he hasn't had any real political power. If we, the people of India can vote in actors, criminals, scions of maharajahs, theatre personalities, why should we have any qualms against a Baba contesting. I don't understand this double standard. Really don't.
+1

I said if they vote vor this guy then they are a "mass of people that stupid". I didn't make that claim as a generic accusation of Indian people. Further you have to think beyond the 200 mill educated people' date= the rest are not that celver, are they? The hitler example is still wrong since he did several things such as making a deal with the pope etc which got him into power, it was not a simple democratic act. It was the nazi part which won the election, he wasn't voted to be the Fuehrer if memory serves me right. He just assumed that role. Why do you care what anyone else does? the frame of the discussion is about India, isn't it? Because they are looking for a miracle saviour or new laws to save them and this is not how it works. If you keep looking for a miracle saviour you will only get a dictator, taking your earlier example this is what happened in the Weimer Republic. Secondly, you don't need new laws you just need people to follow the existing ones.
Wow, you serious about the bolded part? But otherwise, the same baba who was involved with cures of cancer, aids, h omosexuality, the same one who still has a court case for not paying minimum wage to his employees is organizing rallies against corruption. If that is not attention seeking hypocrisy I dont know what else it is.

Baba Ramdev is a Yoga expert and should stick to that. He's trying to meddle in too many things and seems to have an opinion on almost every issue in the country - thats just plain and simple a way of publicity and grabbing media attention. This "movement" of Baba Ramdev is nothing but a means of gaining publicity and will not achieve anything and is bound to die down soon.

Atleast someone is trying to do something about that issue. Doesn't matter if its political motivated or not. Indian public over the years need some leader to come out and do such things. JP movement was great during Indira's time. UPA government has not done anything about the black money issue. I think what government can do is come out with a "Bond" and allow people to declare their black money. They can get 10% of that money and all that will converted into white money, rest goes to government. It will be win-win situation for all. Few yeras back I think Manmohan as FM came out with similar plan when economic was doing bad and it worked really well then.

Dont know about others but Baba Ramdev was good only when he was a yoga guru. He is now turning out into a fake person and reducing his credibility very quickly. His actions definitely look politically motivated nowadays. I am not against anti-corruption but the way these guys are doing it just looks fake to me. If he forms a political party at this stage, he would be kicked out of national limelight to oblivion by the Indian masses. I am not fully convinced about Anna but Ramdev is light years behind him even in terms of credibility. If somebody needs to lead such campaigns then it needs to be the progressive educated youth of the nation rather than these Babas, Annas, Gurus or Mullahs.

Guest Gunner
Atleast someone is trying to do something about that issue. Doesn't matter if its political motivated or not. Indian public over the years need some leader to come out and do such things. JP movement was great during Indira's time. UPA government has not done anything about the black money issue. I think what government can do is come out with a "Bond" and allow people to declare their black money. They can get 10% of that money and all that will converted into white money, rest goes to government. It will be win-win situation for all. Few yeras back I think Manmohan as FM came out with similar plan when economic was doing bad and it worked really well then.
You are talking about VDIS, that was P Chidambaram.

Guest Gunner
Wow, you serious about the bolded part? But otherwise, the same baba who was involved with cures of cancer, aids, h omosexuality, the same one who still has a court case for not paying minimum wage to his employees is organizing rallies against corruption. If that is not attention seeking hypocrisy I dont know what else it is.
I am talking about the voting pattern sir not their overall IQ. If they were really clever with their vote do you think we would have so many idiots as MP?