Should gurus and babas lead political campaigns?

1983-2011

Dont know about others but Baba Ramdev was good only when he was a yoga guru. He is now turning out into a fake person and reducing his credibility very quickly. His actions definitely look politically motivated nowadays. I am not against anti-corruption but the way these guys are doing it just looks fake to me. If he forms a political party at this stage, he would be kicked out of national limelight to oblivion by the Indian masses. I am not fully convinced about Anna but Ramdev is light years behind him even in terms of credibility. If somebody needs to lead such campaigns then it needs to be the progressive educated youth of the nation rather than these Babas, Annas, Gurus or Mullahs.
+1

I am talking about the voting pattern sir not their overall IQ. If they were really clever with their vote do you think we would have so many idiots as MP?
They vote for what they need, free stuff and as the famous cliche goes "roti aur makan", anything beyond that is surreal to them, that it does not affect them in any real way. It is not the people to be blamed it is the system that is to be blamed.

^ As usual the English media , like during the Anna's campaign, is shooting the messenger. Can't expect anything better from the champus ruling roost at NDTV, IBN etc who have been honoured with Padma Sri by the ruling party. It's for times like these that the govt has bought them over to its side, to launch a sustained campaign against anyone who tries to show the public how they have been fooled by those in power. Whatever be Baba's motive, end of the day, its a fight against corruption. If it forces the govt to do something , I am all for it. He has a mass base, he wants to mobilise the support into a movement against an inactive government, I don't see why anyone should have a problem. If instead of Baba Ramdev, this was Maulana XYZ or Father XYZ or Jathedar XYZ leading such a campaign, I will always support such movements. Politicians in the government and opposition have failed the nation, it's time a mass movement shows these politicos why they cannot take the public for granted.
he's simply using that mass base to show how popular he is and is trying to enter politics big time IMO. In the end I'm sure he's not going to achieve much because his only motive in this entire campaign seems to be gaining popularity.

This 'Baba' is just another attention-seeking, misguided jingoistic who thinks he's always right and who wants to use his influence to enter politics. Allow me to demonstrate by stating some of his rather unrealistic demands (taken from here):

-- Tough Lokpal Bill, with a provision for death sentence for the corrupt, especially corrupt officials
Wait, did Ramdev just figure out how to deal with India's overpopulation problem WHILE dealing with corruption at the same time? :omg: Yeah, good luck with that. By the way I'm not against a strong Lokpal at all, just the death sentence part.
-- Immediate return of all black money stashed away in tax havens abroad to the country
Someone needs to tell this "baba" that bringing black money back to India is almost impossible, otherwise why would the black money be stashed there in the first place if it was as easy as Ramdev thinks? Certain people think that tax evaders just open a bank account in their own name in Switzerland or Panama or whatever, stash their cash there and be done with it. These poor souls need to told the complex way the tax evaders work, involving fiduciary trusts, corporations, foundations, LLCs, and nominee directors and shareholders. Fact is that India, unlike the US, doesn't have the leverage to put a stop to tax evasion in off-shore tax havens. Even if they somehow manage to do the same kind of deals with the Swiss banks like the IRS of the US did, there's still plenty of tax havens around - Panama, Nevis, Seychelles, Cayman Islands, Cyprus etc. Plus, should tax evasion really be the focus right now? Even the taxes currently collected aren't being put to good use. The only thing that increased tax revenues would do would be to fill the already-overflowing pockets of corrupt babus and netas.
-- Disabling the operations of any bank which belongs to a country that is a tax haven
Laughable. No one whose prime purpose of off-shore banking is to evade taxes would use any of the massive multi-national banks like HSBC, Citibank etc (which are all present in Switzerland btw). I hope Ramdev doesn't become a PM or a key MP one day or the crappy SBI (State Bank of India) would perhaps be the only bank operating in India.
-- Bringing income-tax details under the Right to Information Act
So this Ramdev guy just wants to abolish all financial privacy that's left? Why doesn't he start with himself by declaring all his assets, all his sources of income, and all his and his employees income publicly each year?
-- Replacing the British-inherited system of governance, administration, taxation, education, law and order with a swadeshi alternative -- Reforming the electoral system to ensure that the Prime Minister is directly elected by people -- Abolishing Rs.1,000 and Rs.500 currency notes
:blink:

I completely agree with Virurulez. This is nothing but a guy who has political ambitions and is utilizing his fan following for his own good. This Baba Ramdev comes across as a corrupt person. Why doesn't he declare his assets and where it comes from before pointing fingers at the government. Yes, I agree that the government is also corrupt but one cannot start blackmailing the central government by staging fasts until death. I think Anna's movement was much more civil than this dhongi. I am not sure if Congress is the one who has ordered for his arrest or the opposition party so that they can sensationalize the whole issue by saying that under the current regime, no one is allowed to carry peaceful protests and that like Indira Gandhi, Sonia is implementing the Emergency Act. I bet BJP leaders and Ramdev supporters will say that.

His supporters were throwing stones in the police. I hate Delhi Police to some extent but they will have a point for using tear gas shells as the protest was turning violent they would say. Interesting. Baba Ramdev declared a Tadipaar and taken out of Delhi and stopped from entering Delhi again. Next 24 hours would be interesting but this was a purely political campaign this time round rather than a people's campaign. So, people would hardly care about it. Anna Hazara, Swami Agnivesh also voiced dissatisfaction over Baba Ramdev today and it was not remaining civilian movement anyways.

Guest Gunner
They vote for what they need' date= free stuff and as the famous cliche goes "roti aur makan", anything beyond that is surreal to them, that it does not affect them in any real way. It is not the people to be blamed it is the system that is to be blamed.
That lack of logical reasoning that it is a vicious circle of voting for wrong epeople for short term gains is what I call "stupidity". This is exactly what I mean.

I completely agree with Virurulez. This is nothing but a guy who has political ambitions and is utilizing his fan following for his own good. This Baba Ramdev comes across as a corrupt person. Why doesn't he declare his assets and where it comes from before pointing fingers at the government. Yes' date=' I agree that the government is also corrupt but one cannot start blackmailing the central government by staging fasts until death. I think Anna's movement was much more civil than this dhongi.[/quote'] The way these movements are going is not the right way. Tomorrow every xyz will hold a fast unto death and put the govt. on its knees. I am against corruption but the modern Indian youth who are shaping the nation should lead it and not the dhongi babas and mullahs. And more importantly I do not want to see another dhongi political party when we have all BS political parties in the nation. It is high time that a political party which ACTUALLY THINKS about the benefit of the nation and its development, is not votebank based and totally non-corrupt should emerge. The repeating of these things are making these serious issues lose credibility amongst the Indian masses. Make it proper and make it credible. I still hope that such unbiased political parties and people who does not want to just hog limelight emerges soon though I am still not sure when and if that will happen.

Guest Gunner
This 'Baba' is just another attention-seeking' date=' misguided jingoistic who thinks he's always right and who wants to use his influence to enter politics. Allow me to demonstrate by stating some of his rather unrealistic demands (taken from here): Wait, did Ramdev just figure out how to deal with India's overpopulation problem WHILE dealing with corruption at the same time? :omg: Yeah, good luck with that. By the way I'm not against a strong Lokpal at all, just the death sentence part. Someone needs to tell this "baba" that bringing black money back to India is almost impossible, otherwise why would the black money be stashed there in the first place if it was as easy as Ramdev thinks? Certain people think that tax evaders just open a bank account in their own name in Switzerland or Panama or whatever, stash their cash there and be done with it. These poor souls need to told the complex way the tax evaders work, involving fiduciary trusts, corporations, foundations, LLCs, and nominee directors and shareholders. Fact is that India, unlike the US, doesn't have the leverage to put a stop to tax evasion in off-shore tax havens. Even if they somehow manage to do the same kind of deals with the Swiss banks like the IRS of the US did, there's still plenty of tax havens around - Panama, Nevis, Seychelles, Cayman Islands, Cyprus etc. Plus, should tax evasion really be the focus right now? Even the taxes currently collected aren't being put to good use. The only thing that increased tax revenues would do would be to fill the already-overflowing pockets of corrupt babus and netas. Laughable. No one whose prime purpose of off-shore banking is to evade taxes would use any of the massive multi-national banks like HSBC, Citibank etc (which are all present in Switzerland btw). I hope Ramdev doesn't become a PM or a key MP one day or the crappy SBI (State Bank of India) would perhaps be the only bank operating in India. So this Ramdev guy just wants to abolish all financial privacy that's left? Why doesn't he start with himself by declaring all his assets, all his sources of income, and all his and his employees income publicly each year? :blink:
Dude you are talking way too much sense amidst the jingoistic throes of modern India. No one wants to listen to reason, this mob just wants blood nothing else. I mean this is the same mob which asks the govt to send in the army to kill the maoists, essentially asking the state to wage war against its own people without any idea what a dangerous precedent it sets. And you are trying to explain the intricacies of off shore banking and international finance to them. They actually believe that India is a superpower ala USA and can actually force the swiss govt to hand over the money. They don't have any idea that the same Swiss govt refused to handover Roman Polanski to the US despite unbelievable pressure. :haha::haha::haha:

That lack of logical reasoning that it is a vicious circle of voting for wrong epeople for short term gains is what I call "stupidity". This is exactly what I mean.
You are right about the electorate of India but what options do they have. Are there any existing political party which is non-corrupt and non-votebank based. Sadly politics in India has become bad to worse and dirty to dirtier. Hope that political parties which are interested in the nation's development rather than playing dirty politics and looting the nation emerges very soon. Then you can blame the voters but I am not sure how you can blame them when the options are so limited.

Guest Gunner
The way these movements are going is not the right way. Tomorrow every xyz will hold a fast unto death and put the govt. on its knees. I am against corruption but the modern Indian youth who are shaping the nation should lead it and not the dhongi babas and mullahs. And more importantly I do not want to see another dhongi political party when we have all BS political parties in the nation. It is high time that a political party which ACTUALLY THINKS about the benefit of the nation and its development' date= is not votebank based and totally non-corrupt should emerge. The repeating of these things are making these serious issues lose credibility amongst the Indian masses. Make it proper and make it credible. I still hope that such unbiased political parties and people who does not want to just hog limelight emerges soon though I am still not sure when and if that will happen.
This is what I said about anna hazare and all this crap. All these babas and baburaos cannot hold a democratically elected government to ransom. If you want change elect the right people and follow the existing laws. Don't look for quick fixes by asking for saviour, that usually just gets you a dictator. Which is precisely what the pakistanis are guilty of, their constant quest for shortcuts led them from one dictator to the next.

Guest Gunner
You are right about the electorate of India but what options do they have. Are there any existing political party which is non-corrupt and non-votebank based. Sadly politics in India has become bad to worse and dirty to dirtier. Hope that political parties which are interested in the nation's development rather than playing dirty politics and looting the nation emerges very soon. Then you can blame the voters but I am not sure how you can blame them when the options are so limited.
Arre you follow the rules first boss. Start from your home. Like choli said in another thread when he gets stopped by a cop for speeding violation he hands over his license and pays a fine at the RTO. That is the right attitude. Start doing the right things. Strengthen the election commission's process of vetting candidates' nomination papers. These simple things can go a long way. Don't employ an underage person in your home, pay someone who works for you honest wages and treat them with respect. Try these simple things.

This is what I said about anna hazare and all this crap. All these babas and baburaos cannot hold a democratically elected government to ransom. If you want change elect the right people and follow the existing laws. Don't look for quick fixes by asking for saviour' date=' that usually just gets you a dictator. Which is precisely what the pakistanis are guilty of, their constant quest for shortcuts led them from one dictator to the next.[/quote'] The media is also responsible for these BS. Media sees these movements as Peepli Live situations where they are benefited in both ways - at first they would get huge TRPs for making out more controversies and 24/7 live coverages .. and then if the movement somehow succeeds they can say "Your channel was one of the main reasons behind the success of the movement" .. and if the movement fails they can analyze and make shows and make more TRPs .. so win win cases in all situations for the media .. meanwhile Arnab wakes up and comes to studios in the mid of the night to add more masala :giggle:

Guest Gunner
The media is also responsible for these BS. Media sees these movements as Peepli Live situations where they are benefited in both ways - at first they would get huge TRPs for making out more controversies and 24/7 live coverages .. and then if the movement somehow succeeds they can say "Your channel was one of the main reasons behind the success of the movement" .. and if the movement fails they can analyze and make shows and make more TRPs .. so win win cases in all situations for the media .. meanwhile Arnab wakes up and comes to studios in the mid of the night to add more masala :giggle:
I agree that the role the Indian media is playing in all this is far from responsible. In recent times, scratch that since forever the only respectable newspaper in India has been "The Hindu". Many people can rail and rant against them for their leftist views but that is what India needs a government with a slightly leftist view since we have many many poor people to take care of.