Wadekar slams BCCI's attitude

What a BS article by wadekar. I used to like his articles.. but this one is utter nonsense.. seems like hes gone braind dead http://www.cricketnext.com/news/wadekar-slams-bccis-attitude/top/25409-13.html Mumbai: India’s most successful ex-captain and coach Ajit Wadekar today slammed Indian cricket board’s (BCCI) laid-back attitude and their final list of choice of coaches for Team India. "I don’t understand the logic behind BCCI’s choice of coaches – Graham Ford of South Africa and John Emburey of England – when we have more qualified and better suited ex-cricketers in dozens, who, I am sure can do a better job than any of the above mentioned foreigners," Wadekar told Cricketnext.com here. "In my opinion former players like Mahinder Amarnath, Sandeep Patil, Ravi Shastri, Gundappa Vishwanath, Anshuman Gaekwad, Kapil Dev and Sunil Gavaskar are all top coaching materials and if the BCCI think that these guys cannot be successful as coaches than what guarantee is there that any of the foreigners can," he added. (Excuse me! we all know how successful was amarnath with BD.. only sandeep patil tasted some success with kenya.. the rest r all crap when it comes to coaching..) "I don’t understand BCCI’s obsession with a foreigners when previous coaches like John Wright and Greg Chappell have proved to be mediocre. (If john wright is mediocre, what can we say abt the indian top class coachin materials... wat a BS:giggle:) "Another thing I don’t agree with is the Board’s laid-back attitude in picking the coach after Chappell was unceremoniously dumped," Wadekar, the first Indian skipper to lead his team to a back-to-back Test wins in the West Indies and England in 1971, said. (U wanna send him off on a red carpet??) "The Board should have started looking for a permanent coach soon after Chappell left or they should have asked Ravi (Shastri) to continue till the end of the year. I know Ravi (Shastri) personally well and he has immense knowledge of the game and would have been the ideal choice," he added. (selective amnesia??? doesnt he remem that ravi shastri doesnt wanna take up the job?) "As far as Ford and Emburey are concerned, they can never be able to deliver the goods as they have not been successful in their earlier stints. Can Ford, who has just played seven first class matches in South Africa, coach a team with the likes of Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, Sourav Ganguly and V V S Laxman?", questioned Wadekar. "Can Emburey, who has been a disaster as a coach even at county level (good point! but who recommended him?? this nut case gavaskar...)and an average spinner during his Test playing days teach anything new to seasoned spinners like Anil Kumble or Harbhajan Singh? I sincerely don’t think so," the southpaw added. ( Harbhajan? does he have a place in the team??) "I don’t understand why Dav Whatmore, who was almost certain to get the job, was not even given an audience by the seven-member committee. The best suited person (Whatmore) for the coach’s post is now out and BCCI is now left with two others (Ford and Emburey), who are not at all suited for the job, to pick from. (hello, its cuz ur own gavaskar, who doesnt want him as the coach... ) "This to me is a big slip-up by the Board," Wadekar said. "Where the hell does BCCI manage to get the names of unproven coaches?", wondered Wadekar aloud. "It’s amazing how BCCI messed-up a simple thing like choosing a coach when there are at least half a dozen e former Indian cricketers available to take up the job," he added. "I have also learnt that Vishwanath is ready to take up the coaching job but unfortunately the Board seems to be ignorant about this fact. In my opinion Vishy would have done a good job as he commands respect from every cricketer in the country not only as batsman but also as a gentleman cricketer," the former Mumbai star said. ( yeah! gavaskar family can then run cricket india and ruin the sport completely)

"In my opinion former players like Mahinder Amarnath, Sandeep Patil, Ravi Shastri, Gundappa Vishwanath, Anshuman Gaekwad, Kapil Dev and Sunil Gavaskar are all top coaching materials and if the BCCI think that these guys cannot be successful as coaches than what guarantee is there that any of the foreigners can," he added.
The problem with Indian cricket players is the same as the problem that most Indian suffers from - no dignity of labour. Kapil Dev & Amarnath can very well be the greatest coaches ever. But how do we know that? Why is it that Indian players(like Kapil, Sunny) think it is their birthright to lead India as a coach straight away?? Every known coach from Woolmer to Watmore, Chappell to Ford, have all done their homework with local teams first and then eventually led a country. Wouldnt it be great for Indian cricket if Kapil Dev coached Bombay for 3 years? Or Sunny coach Tamil Nadu for 2 years? Not only will it improve local cricketers game it will also make the coaches themselves ready for International level. In this sense Sandeep Patil is obviously different and hence his credentials are the only one that I am appreciative of. xxxx

Sandip Patil deserves a shot. May be he doesn't want to work with/for the current BCCI babus. Others don't really have any/much coaching experience except for some disastrous stints. Donno why Wadekar is ok with Whatmore and not Ford. Yes, Shastri had indicated that he isn't interested LT. While Wadekar's frustration is understandable in that the BCCI's process seems quite random, he seems to think any good/great ex-indian cricketer can be a great coach.

As a sports lover and follower of world sports (you name it) , I think myself and some of the posters here are much more qualified to comment whether we need coach(foreign or Indian) or not . Also, we all know that great players don't necessarily make great coaches. Heck , some of the greatest players have sucked in coaching. Guys like point guard Magic Johnson sucked as a Laker coach. Whereas average player like Phil Jackson for the Chicago Bulls or Rudy tomjanovich from Spurs have succeeded in NBA. Even some of the best coaches of American football like Bill Parcels or Belichk are average players but great coaches. In summary , for idiots like Ajit Wadekar to suggest that John Emburey who agreed was an average spinner during his Test playing days cannot teach anything new to seasoned spinners like Anil Kumble or Harbhajan Singh is false . He can certainly coach them and coach team India. But , as a coach he has an average record and that and only that should be the reason why he should not be considered.Not because he was an average player.

Ford had a very short (albeit successful) coaching stint with SA. He took over in '99 and was sacked in '02. Had he proven himself over an extended period of time, ala Whatmore - i'd be less skeptical. If John Wright had been judged on his first three seasons alone (01-03), we would hold him in much higher regard than do we today.