Conversion of Sikh Girl in Birmingham Sparks Retaliation

Dhondy

My advice to those who seek to spread their faith: Don't mess with Sikhs. They are fiercely proud of their religion and culture, and will often go to any lengths when these are threatened. Their singlemindedness in such defence is only matched by their bravery. Nobody ever managed to get the better of them over a period of time. They bow to nobody.

It's a hornet's nest, Lurker. Dal had a document to show us a couple of years ago. Truly shocking it was. It was alleged there was a particular drive on to convert Sikh girls, but I'll be honest, I have no idea how much truth there was in this.

Dhondy , Ravi and Bheem , With all due respect , I fail to understand how this thread is different from the thread I started about Blasphemy law . Islam is a common denominator in both the threads .I was told to desist from bringing up discussions about religious flavour. Even , this thread actually boils to down to religious discussion because one of the tenets of Abrahamic faiths is "Conversion" and these guys are dutifully following their religion.

I suppose the reason this one caught my eye was because this has a particular resonance for us. It's very sad to think that a Sikh girl, one of the proudest bastions of Indianism, has chosen to renounce the faith she was born into, and left her parents to live with a relative stranger, who obviously has her trust over her parents. It was a moving story. So I thought I'd post it.

Some of the things which is worth noting are , -- The girl is just 18.. Its not the age when people are moved by/inspired by faith. -- How come the girl get so ready refuge in Birmingham ? almost like it was all planned ? -- If the family is fleeing , are they fleeing with the girl ? -- Why wouldnt the girl want to talk with her parents ? obviously she is been told what to do by someone...

KR, the OP of the other thread you are referring to is not objectionable either. What's objectionable is the inevitable name calling(to posters as well to a religion and its prophets) which follows ANY topic remotely connected. The thread is still there and its also for you to see how some people have instantly started abuse/sarcasm towards Islam. I hardly saw anyone interested in discussing the OP. Whatever the pros and cons of any religion, there is no denying the fact that every follower of a religion feels very strongly about his/her religion and abusive comments towards the religion and/or its revered men bring out the worst in them and what follows is mindless abuse. Personally, I don't see myself as part of any religion and see faults in all of them but I don't see what's wrong in respecting other poster's feelings towards their religion and be careful about the choice of words to use when discussing the demerits of a religion.

You are right, Sriram, the young are vulnerable, and are often targeted as such. This is not just true for conversions, but for indoctrination within a faith, often with one sided accounts of atrocities, doctored videos, etc. It's brutal when somebody loses her daughter or son to this kind of thing.

KR, the comments made in the thread you created is testimony to lack of tolerance for one particular religion here. I'm not blaming anyone for it but it is a fact a lot of us folks do not warm up to Islam and don't shy away from showing it in a bad taste. I'm being brutally honest here that's about it. I think this OP deals with the political side of things in UK and I haven't a problem with it. Still I don't see any problem with what I said to you. All we asked was a bit of restrain. It's not like your thread or any post was deleted.

KR' date=' the comments made in the thread you created is testimony to lack of tolerance for one particular religion here. I'm not blaming anyone for it but it is a fact a lot of us folks do not warm up to Islam and don't shy away from showing it in a bad taste. I'm being brutally honest here that's about it. I think this OP deals with the political side of things in UK and I haven't a problem with it. Still I don't see any problem with what I said to you. All we asked was a bit of restrain. It's not like your thread or any post was deleted.[/quote'] Ravi , with all due respect ,what I am stating in the Blasphemy thread is a fact about Pakistan and speaks about religious intolerance and minority persecution both at social as well as political level. Their are some posters here who criticize Prophet and Islam as a whole package . You know who those posters are. They should be the ones who actually should show restrain. Anyways, I will refrain from posting on religious threads, at least for a while.:tounge_smile:

My advice to those who seek to spread their faith: Don't mess with muslims. They are fiercely proud of their religion and culture, and will often go to any lengths when these are threatened. Their singlemindedness in such defence is only matched by their bravery. Nobody ever managed to get the better of them over a period of time. They bow to nobody.

Yeah, KR, I wasn't sure, to be honest. So I PMed Ravi & Shwetabh, and posted it only when they didn't have any objections. I'll delete it if you feel it's inappropriate.
Jesus Dhondy , Why do I feel like a Heel now !:regular_smile: You are a quality guy and I apologize for even bringing this up.

KR, the OP of the other thread you are referring to is not objectionable either. What's objectionable is the inevitable name calling(to posters as well to a religion and its prophets) which follows ANY topic remotely connected. The thread is still there and its also for you to see how some people have instantly started abuse/sarcasm towards Islam. I hardly saw anyone interested in discussing the OP. Whatever the pros and cons of any religion, there is no denying the fact that every follower of a religion feels very strongly about his/her religion and abusive comments towards the religion and/or its revered men bring out the worst in them and what follows is mindless abuse. Personally, I don't see myself as part of any religion and see faults in all of them but I don't see what's wrong in respecting other poster's feelings towards their religion and be careful about the choice of words to use when discussing the demerits of a religion.
Shwetabh , I apologize for even bringing this up. Humbly accept your point.

My advice to those who seek to spread their faith: Don't mess with Sikhs. They are fiercely proud of their religion and culture' date=' and will often go to any lengths when these are threatened.[/quote'] Im sick of this 'proud people' bullshit - its racism - going back to the British 'martial race' stuff. No point using euphemisms for what is essentially fanatic behavior - seems people wanna bury their heads in the sand and sweet talk, rather than acknolwedge that yet another of India's religious communities has problems. Now having said all that - conversion pisses me off a great deal - but is largely irrelevent in the end.

KR' date=' the comments made in the thread you created is testimony to lack of tolerance for one particular religion here. I'm not blaming anyone for it but it is a fact a lot of us folks do not warm up to Islam and don't shy away from showing it in a bad taste. I'm being brutally honest here that's about it. I think this OP deals with the political side of things in UK and I haven't a problem with it. Still I don't see any problem with what I said to you. All we asked was a bit of restrain. It's not like your thread or any post was deleted.[/quote'] Basically a lot of people here have reached the conclusion that Abrahamic religions are more prone to fanaticism, and less prone to conversion - and that they will thus, by that logic, eventually take over the world and build the same ugly crap everywhere :) Essentially Dawkin's 'meme' idea. I believed exactly that for a long time - but people might wanna consider the following things: 1). Any ideal can be abused to the same extent, so this isnt really unique to Semetic religion. 2). So what if a religion dies? Humanity always finds a way of going forward. 3). The mass hysteria created by conversions and riots tends to obscure the truth, that really, the world aint gonna change - no religion is declining - they are all growing - and Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Islam, Christianity, atheism, etc, are pretty much under no threat.

Im sick of this 'proud people' bullshit - its racism - going back to the British 'martial race' stuff. No point using euphemisms for what is essentially fanatic behavior - seems people wanna bury their heads in the sand and sweet talk, rather than acknolwedge that yet another of India's religious communities has problems. Now having said all that - conversion pisses me off a great deal - but is largely irrelevent in the end.
gorah_pindu you are correct and we do think alike. I agree with your post completely :thumbs_up: Remember the cr@p when some Sikh female artist made a play that offended the Sikhs? The play had to be cancelled due to nut case fanatics. Btw when I was at uni the muslim leaflet thing definitely used to happen. So targeting of Sikh/Hindu girls was true back then. Now as far as this case is concerned... puppy love + brainwashing? That said at 18 she is an adult and it's her choice. Yes sad for the family :broken_heart: