Conversion of Sikh Girl in Birmingham Sparks Retaliation

Dhondy

While we are on the subject of Asians in UK! This case really really pissed me off- http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article675686.ece Samaira Nazir, a bright and well educated 25 year old British national of Pakistani descent was stabbed to death. Her throat was slashed by her 30 year old brother and her 17 year old cousin at her parents’ home. Samaira had dishonored her family by falling in love with an Afghan man they thought was of lower caste and had rejected suitors lined up to meet her in Pakistan. In April 2005 she was summoned to the family home and ambushed by everyone. A neighbor witnessed seeing her trying to escape while her father grabbed her by the hair, pulled her back into the house and slammed the door. She was heard screaming, “you are not my mother anymore,†which indicates that her mother was also involved in her cold-blooded murder. Her nieces, aged 2 and 4 were made to watch the whole proceeding as the neighhbors heard them screaming. The amount of blood on the children suggested that they were only feet from the attack. The family was educated and well to do. :embaressed_smile: Edit- Btw I used to date a nice muslim girl (amongst many) and I was basically told that our throats would be slit if we continued dating. Relationship did not last long after that. Too much baggage! Could have been a hollow threat but she was not worth dying for. Plus I did not want my parents to deal with any cr@p. I moved on to hindu, sikhs and later exclusively goris. All the family /brother baggage that came with Asian girls was too much for me :hysterical: One sikh girl even had the tits to tell me that if I did not date her she would lie and tell her brothers that I was harassing her:confused_smile: Her brothers were the hardest nut cases I had come across :cry_smile:

Zap and Gorah, I sense your unhappiness at my eulogization of Sikhs. Stand by every word I said. They are fierce, proud and a warrior community by descent and upbringing. Look at their history. They never accepted defeat, fought with honour and preferred death to dishonour. They constitute a disproportionately high proportion of the Indian armed forces, yet felt mortally offended by the seige of Golden temple that led to the longest and most dangerous separatist movement in India's history, that was ultimately quelled only by a Sikh. They continue to excel at whatever they do- business, sport, academics, you name it. Pointing that out is racism? Yes, from a people who are the standard bearers of mediocrity fully sixty years after independence, it probably is. How dare the Sikhs forge ahead of the rest of us, not behave like lambs when affronted, and assiduously defend the religion of their forefathers, without trying to spread it through the world like the SARS virus? I agree that the action taken by her family in this case was beyond the pale, but then I don't know how I'd react if my child was led away from me.

Edit- Btw I used to date a nice muslim girl (amongst many) and I was basically told that our throats would be slit if we continued dating. Relationship did not last long after that. Too much baggage! Could have been a hollow threat but she was not worth dying for. Plus I did not want my parents to deal with any cr@p. I moved on to hindu, sikhs and later exclusively goris. All the family /brother baggage that came with Asian girls was too much for me :hysterical: One sikh girl even had the tits to tell me that if I did not date her she would lie and tell her brothers that I was harassing her:confused_smile: Her brothers were the hardest nut cases I had come across :cry_smile:
Walter Mitty has been out and in full bloom, I see.:haha:

I'm sick of this 'proud people' bullshit
I don't think Dhondy was justifying it- he stated 'as is'. And that is a true fact about the Sikh community. PS: I don't see how exactly 'we are strong, we are proud, we are determined' sort of motto is racist per se ? This is a motif amongst almost all cultures that draw heavily from their warrior past- be it the Sikhs, Zulus, Masaai, Turks, Iranians or Russians too. So where does racism enter the picture ? Every culture has a 'fundamental' orientation that is more or less true for the mainstream society of that culture. The Yanks today are 'yeeha, we are the bestest in everything!' mentality, Brits try to play the pompous educated one card, bengali culture is much more towards arts ( you'll find that Bengal has a disproportionately huge representation in classical indian music & dances ), etc etc. There are cultures with the 'warrior' mentality, epitomizing the 'strong, proud and unbroken' mentality, there are cultures with the suave mentality, etc etc. Nothing inherently racist in it but ofcourse, Sikhs like any other ethnic/religious community arnt completely immune to racism either.

Edit- Btw I used to date a nice muslim girl (amongst many) and I was basically told that our throats would be slit if we continued dating. Relationship did not last long after that. Too much baggage! Could have been a hollow threat but she was not worth dying for. Plus I did not want my parents to deal with any cr@p. I moved on to hindu, sikhs and later exclusively goris. All the family /brother baggage that came with Asian girls was too much for me :hysterical: One sikh girl even had the tits to tell me that if I did not date her she would lie and tell her brothers that I was harassing herconfused_smile.gif Her brothers were the hardest nut cases I had come across cry_smile.gif
Do you run some kind of no religion bar dating business? :tounge_smile:

Zap and Gorah, I sense your unhappiness at my eulogization of Sikhs. Stand by every word I said. They are fierce, proud and a warrior community by descent and upbringing. Look at their history. They never accepted defeat, fought with honour and preferred death to dishonour. They constitute a disproportionately high proportion of the Indian armed forces, yet felt mortally offended by the seige of Golden temple that led to the longest and most dangerous separatist movement in India's history, that was ultimately quelled only by a Sikh. They continue to excel at whatever they do- business, sport, academics, you name it. Pointing that out is racism? Yes, from a people who are the standard bearers of mediocrity fully sixty years after independence, it probably is. How dare the Sikhs forge ahead of the rest of us, not behave like lambs when affronted, and assiduously defend the religion of their forefathers, without trying to spread it through the world like the SARS virus? I agree that the action taken by her family in this case was beyond the pale, but then I don't know how I'd react if my child was led away from me.
Totally agree with your assessment of sikhs. They are a good bunch with big hearts. Brave and courageous. They also love a good drink and a party. They live life to enjoy it, while also working hard!

Do you run some kind of no religion bar dating business?
Well if I am Walter Mitty then yes :hysterical: Seriously though what I wrote was true. I lead a really colourful life :wink_smile: Glad I settled down as the :kiss::date::reddy: was getting out of hand :hysterical: Regarding Sikhs. I have had zero problem with most of them and I have had some smashing Sikh friends. That does not change the fact that they can be bit hot headed and over the top protective about their religion specially in UK (thanks to the religious indoctrination from a young age). The recent drama in India another good example. For me the dera sacha sauda tamasha was a meaningless non-issue not worth sweating over. One just needed to visit Sikh forums to sense the over the top anger. I just don't see why people want to get violent for such silly reasons? :whatchutalkingabout Regarding this particular conversion case. I don't have any cold hard facts so even though I like beating up Islam I will take a wait and see approach (purely because the girl is an adult and from what I understand is under police protection). As long as no force was used I have no problem. If the girl was dumb enough to convert then what can you do? P.S- Dhondy you are dead meat for your Walter Mitty comment :hysterical::wink_smile::viking:

Unlike your throat-slit threat, my modern muslim ex-gf openly told me that our relation wouldn't anywhere due to the religion factor, fact is we were soulmates and there was a time when her muslim bf used to drop her so we could go for a dinner date, she convinced him that we were just good friends..aisa bhi hota hain..she is happily married now

Unlike your throat-slit threat' date=' my modern muslim ex-gf openly told me that our relation wouldn't anywhere due to the religion factor, fact is we were soulmates and there was a time when her muslim bf used to drop her so we could go for a dinner date, she convinced him that we were just good friends..aisa bhi hota hain..she is happily married now[/quote'] Sorry Rajeev, sounds like a tall tale to me.:wink_smile:

How could you let a soul mate slip away?
Logistics. If you know its gonna not work out or worse yet, end in disaster, why bother ? My highschool girlfriend popped me the question right after the last exam- except there we were in Qatar, she was catching a flight to Lancaster, UK in 2 months and i was catching a flight to Kingston,Ontario in 4. she was gonna do uni there, me here (canada). We both agreed that it was dumb to even think to that level since its not gonna work out. We were both too poor to bridge the Atlantic. Sometimes you just know- its just not gonna work. Mohobbatein mein bhi rukaawat ah sakti hai, vatz :)

Mohobbatein mein bhi rukaawat ah sakti hai, vatz :)
Sachi mohabbat sare rukaawat par kar leta hai. You should watch some Bollywood movies if you don't believe me:hysterical: Seriously though it boils down to if the girl is worth the hassle. In your case it sounds like you were too young anyway.

Unlike your throat-slit threat' date=' my modern muslim ex-gf openly told me that our relation wouldn't anywhere due to the religion factor, fact is we were soulmates and there was a time when her muslim bf used to drop her so we could go for a dinner date, she convinced him that we were just good friends..aisa bhi hota hain..she is happily married now[/quote'] Had similar experience Rajeev. Had a great Muslim gf for whom religion always came second best. You mentioned the word soulmate. Don't want to change the track here but what do you think about it? Do you truly believe soulmates happen or is it just a thought? xxxx

Sachi mohabbat sare rukaawat par kar leta hai.
I fail to see how 'sacchi mohabbat' or 'jhoothi mohabbat' is a factor when meeting girlfriend equals 1500 dollar plane ticket + horribly over-priced English motels.
In your case it sounds like you were too young anyway.
Well obviously it'd have been different if one of us came from a millionaire family. But we don't!

Oh my god - im kinda saddened that so many otherwise rational people dont see the problem of steriotyping an entire religion of people. This is also the reason I stopped listening to hip-hop with all its 'dont mess with my niggas' crap - people need to get real - instead of indulging their supremist fantasties. Some of the stuff people are saying here sounds like its straight out of some racial classification book from the 19th century - "...here there be Hindooos, Mohameddans, and Seekhs, and their attributes are as follows...".

im kinda saddened that so many otherwise rational people dont see the problem of steriotyping an entire religion of people.
Well as Russell Peters would say - i don't make steriotypes. I merely observe them.
Some of the stuff people are saying here sounds like its straight out of some racial classification book from the 19th century - "...here there be Hindooos, Mohameddans, and Seekhs, and their attributes are as follows...".
How the fook is it racial to note that certain cultures have a strong & proud bearing due to their warrior past ? Obviously not all Sikhs are the same but if you don't see it as the 'mainstream behaviour/bearing of Sikhs' then you are just being politically correct.

Unlike your throat-slit threat' date=' my modern muslim ex-gf openly told me that our relation wouldn't anywhere due to the religion factor, fact is we were soulmates and there was a time when her muslim bf used to drop her so we could go for a dinner date, she convinced him that we were just good friends..aisa bhi hota hain..she is happily married now[/quote'] Same with my Sikh best friend some years ago - he had to consider converting to Islam for a while because the girl's mother wouldnt let her go near him - as it turns out they broke up anyway.

Same with my Sikh best friend some years ago - he had to consider converting to Islam for a while because the girl's mother wouldnt let her go near him - as it turns out they broke up anyway.
This is probably the biggest aspect in maintaining/propagating Islam's seggregation to the rest of society. Without inter-marriage between communities, there can be no real understanding of each other or respect. Ultimately, this is hurting Islam only. Btw, i dunno if you've dealt with Iranians ( Vancouver has a huge iranian community) but they are positively the exception to the rule. Their women(atleast here) are much more 'i will do what i want' mentality and most iranian parents i've seen are rather like normal indian parents- ie, they'd be upset that their daughter/son is being promiscuous but they'd never threaten killing them or their mate.

How the fook is it racial to note that certain cultures have a strong & proud bearing due to their warrior past ? Obviously not all Sikhs are the same but if you don't see it as the 'mainstream behaviour/bearing of Sikhs' then you are just being politically correct.
You should know why classifying people by some glorified past is wrong, and how applying it to a community of humans with the same flaws as anyone else is stupid. What would be termed as 'vile' behavior if a Muslim, Christian or Hindu did it - you are all so quick to call 'proud' and 'fierce' when it is done by a Sikh - thats what I see here - pure hypocricy. I guess you are all too scared of another outbreak of militant behavior to judge them by the same standards you would anyone else, or just dont want to acknolwedge that there are problems in a community you glorify and idolize. Sorry for saying it how I see it.