Graham Ford confirmed as India's coach

10:30 - Ford gets the vote The seven-man committee, after listening to both candidates, decided to recommend Graham Ford's name to the BCCI working committee which will ratify the appointment. That is expected to be a formality, and Ford is now almost certain to take charge for the one-day series against his compatriots in Ireland later this month. 9:30pm - Ford gets his chance The media weren't allowed onto the first floor where the meeting was being held, but it was believed that Emburey had finished his presentation, leaving the floor to Ford, reportedly the players' choice for the job. 8:30pm - Embers goes first John Emburey is first to make his presentation in front of the seven-member committee after the meeting starts half an hour late. 8:20pm - Sunil Gavaskar arrives from Goa Twenty minutes after the others went upstairs, Sunil Gavaskar arrives after having attended a personal function in Goa. As with the others, he's mobbed by waiting media. Before he goes into the elevator, Gavaskar asks: "Is nobody at the [Afro-Asia Cup] match?" 8:00pm - Pawar makes his entrance As the clock struck eight, Sharad Pawar came down from his suite to the first-floor banquet hall where the meeting is being held. Dressed in white as always, he was surrounded by a phalanx of bodyguards. 7:41pm - The stop-gap man Ravi Shastri, who coached India in Bangladesh, turns up with Srinivas Venkataraghavan. Again, there's a frenzied response from the assembled media. Shastri asks one if he wants to come in. "Into the elevator?" asks the mediaperson. "No, only into the elevator," quips Shastri before the door slides shut. 7:35pm - The coach-maker arrives Niranjan Shah, the board secretary, arrives, accompanied by Ratnakar Shetty, the chief executive, N Srinivasan, the treasurer, and MP Pandove. As they're mobbed by TV cameras, Pandove turns around and tells a cameraman: "He's only the secretary, not the coach!" The reply is a classic. "But he's the coach-maker." 7:20pm - Touching gloves Both men, dressed in suits and carrying laptops, entered the elevator to proceed to the meeting. Despite a posse of photographers clicking away, Ford and Emburey were seen chatting amiably as they proceeded to make the presentations that would decide who would succeed Greg Chappell as Indian coach. 6:30pm - The saga begins And finally the day of reckoning for the future Indian coach arrived. On a warm yet cloudy Saturday evening, with the Asia XI taking on the Africa XI in the second one-dayer at the MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chepauk, the action, at least as far as the media was concerned, shifted to the Park Sheraton Hotel and Towers. Sharad Pawar, the president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India, arrived shortly after 5pm and checked into his suite. It's believed - and there has been no information officially disseminated to the media so far - that Graham Ford and John Emburey, the two men vying for the coach's job, would have to make their presentations either in Pawar's suite or in the Elliot banquet hall. The rest of the committee were yet to reach the hotel. BCCI officials also on the committee were at the MA Chidambaram Stadium watching the match, and were only expected to arrive closer to 8pm, when it was believed that the meetings would begin. Sunil Gavaskar, the most influential of the three former Indian cricketers in the seven-man committee, had already excused himself from commentary duties with ESPN, who are broadcasting the Afro-Asia Cup. It has been reported that Gavaskar was in Goa, attending to a family function, but he was expected to be present at the meetings that will decide between Ford and Emburey. Ravi Shastri, another former cricketer on the panel who is on contract with ESPN, had asked his employers to be excused and would make it to the Park Sheraton in time for the discussions. At half-past six, however, only Pawar was present at the venue, and his presence was hard to miss given the elaborate police protection all round the hotel. Right from cars parked outside, with cops inside ready and on the go, to policemen in uniform keeping watch outside the hotel and in the foyer where the elevators to Pawar's room were located, khaki was everywhere. When the same committee met in Bangalore and announced the short-list of Ford and Emburey, the media were kept out of the Hotel Grand Ashok, ostensibly on "security grounds", and as yet, a similar measure had not been taken in Chennai.
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/297408.html

These are some of things that i would like Ford to do... asap.... ** have separate teams for ODI's and tests. ** Have Ganguly in the ODI team and replace him with Laxman in the tests. ** Bring back Sehwag into the team.. for both forms of the game. If the means he bats in the middle order , try that out too... ** Promote Dhoni up the order in ODI's. Dhoni has amazing innings management talents which arent being used to the fullest. ** Take a squad of 4 fast bowlers in every tour and rotate between them.In the side games , the fringe players MUST play. ** Not pick players with niggles and half-injuries. So the Munafs are totally out. ** Clarify's sachin's role in the team to all and most importantly to Sachin himself.

What's in a coach? Absolutely nothing. Unless the players are keen to put good fight and eagerness to work as a unit no coach can do anything. The coaches in Woolmer, Chappell et al have come and gone. I take these appointment of coaches with a pinch of salt. As I said before Emburey was only there to fill the numbers. Another useless dram by the BCCI. To decide on Ford they took about 4 extra days.

Predator, what makes you think your judgement is so much better than Dravid, Tendulkar, Kumble, and Ganguly who collectively went for him over Whatmore if media reports are to be believed. Moreover, the last time Dravid recommended a coach it turned out to be a pretty good choice.

Predator' date=' what makes you think your judgement is so much better than Dravid, Tendulkar, Kumble, and Ganguly who collectively went for him over Whatmore if media reports are to be believed.[/quote'] Are media reports meant to be believed ? The same media reports which stated that Whatmore was the seniors choice in the first place ? I just thought Whatmore was a far better coach and a better FIT for this Indian side. Good luck to Ford, he'll need it.
Are media reports meant to be believed ? The same media reports which stated that Whatmore was the seniors choice in the first place ? I just thought Whatmore was a far better coach and a better FIT for this Indian side. Good luck to Ford, he'll need it.
Better fit in WHAT ways ? i cant wait to hear the answer for this...
Care to tell me why this no-mark Ford is a better choice ?
First and foremost, Dravid is in favour of the guy and has worked with him in the past so has first hand experience of working with him. Secondly, he has a very good track record with Natal, South Africa, and Kent. All players who have come out with statements like Pollock and Rhodes have had good things to say about him. Thirdly, Whatmore's tactics of getting friendly with Niranjan Shah and Ravi Shastri in Bangladesh made it appear like he was too desperate for the job, despite being the front runner at that time. In that case it started looking like maybe his primary focus was the money and limelight of the Indian coaching job.

"Graham Ford got excellent results with SA. You may remember he was SA's coach when they toured IND in '00 and left with a 0-2 victory Under him, SA won 9 out of 11 Test series, and the two defeats were to AUS. He obviously has pedigree, but it could be Greg Chappell all over again. SA are a professional side and invariably have good results no matter who is coaching them. I don't think he would understand India's cricket culture. This is where Whatmore scores over any other candidate - his familiarity with the subcontinent (having lived here for most of his whole life) and subcon cricketers makes him a shoe-in.".. If you are actually referring to him being used to subcontinental players , i say -- think again. This whole talk of having an indian coach because they "understand" the players more than foreigners is just a lame excuse given by past indian players who want to promote themselves. We all know how John Wright was more successful than Kapil or Gaekwad and all the other pretenders. And you must remember -- The Indian team is not some club team comprising of amateurs. These are professional players playing for their country. They must be able to adjust to any style of coaching/leadership. If they cant , that only means that they dont deserve to be there. We need people with "best practises" as they call it in the corporate world. If you are going to appoint a coach purely because you feel he can "get along" with the players better and understand them better , that simply isnt enough. You need your coach to give you solid tactical input.. Not to have fun and frolick with him..

"If you are actually referring to him being used to subcontinental players , i say -- think again. This whole talk of having an indian coach because they "understand" the players more than foreigners is just a lame excuse given by past indian players who want to promote themselves. We all know how John Wright was more successful than Kapil or Gaekwad and all the other pretenders.
I have referred to his OVERALL TRACK RECORD, but yes - the familiarity with the subcontinent is a bonus. Past Indian coaches could have made the same claims, but they never had anywhere near as good a record as Whatmore. You are talking about a man who has won a WORLD CUP, approx 20 ODI trophies, and established two struggling teams into very competitive outfits. Whatmore proved himself at international level over a time frame of two decades, in three seperate stints and with two different teams. He also won everything at Lancashire in his short spell there. How many coaches in modern cricket have that kind of track record or that kind of experience ? If a coach can survive at the highest level for over a decade, he must be doing something right. Why anyone wouldn't want that kind of coach, i don't know. Ford is a no-mark who doesn't even compare.
And you must remember -- The Indian team is not some club team comprising of amateurs. These are professional players playing for their country. They must be able to adjust to any style of coaching/leadership. If they cant ' date=' that only means that they dont deserve to be there. [/quote'] Professionals my @ss. Well, we all know they couldn't adjust to Chappell's authoritative style of coaching/leadership ? What makes you think Ford will be any different ?
If a coach can survive at the highest level for over a decade, he must be doing something right.
No doubt Whatmore has been a very successful coach, but my scepticism which I had mentioned earlier as well comes from the doubt over how much energy and newness he still has left after coaching international sides for more than 10 years. Even coaches have shelf lives and I think Whatmore's is expired. Even Wright had started to loose it after 3-4 years.
No doubt Whatmore has been a very successful coach' date=' but my scepticism which I had mentioned earlier as well comes from the doubt over how much energy and newness he still has left after coaching international sides for more than 10 years.[/quote'] Come on, we don't know that. What you are saying is nothing but conjecture. I could argue that his enthusiasm for the job was reflected by his intent to coach India, so the fire must have been burning otherwise he wouldn't have bothered. Coaches want to test themselves at the highest level, and the Indian job is the most arduous challenge imaginable in cricket - what more motivation would a coach need ? I am sorry, but i don't buy that argument.

In terms of comparing records/pedigree , its obvious that Whatmore scores over Ford. But i would be interested in knowing the quality of victories rather than the amount. 9 victories in 11 series with the defeats coming against only AUS is nothing short of outstanding by Ford. And though Whatmore acheivemnts with SL are creditable , he hasnt exactly set the world on fire with BD... BD is winning more than it used to , but that maybe just due a natural progression of their players getting better with time.

Professionals my @ss. Well, we all know they couldn't adjust to Chappell's authoritative style of coaching/leadership ? What makes you think Ford will be any different ?
And what makes YOU think Ford will be employ the authoritative style of leadership that Chappell employed? Ford is known to be more of the behind-the-scenes guy.. not like the publicity seeking Greggie..
In terms of comparing records/pedigree ' date=' its obvious that Whatmore scores over Ford. But i would be interested in knowing the quality of victories rather than the amount. 9 victories in 11 series with the defeats coming against only AUS is nothing short of outstanding by Ford. And though Whatmore acheivemnts with SL are creditable , he hasnt exactly set the world on fire with BD... BD is winning more than it used to , but that maybe just due a natural progression of their players getting better with time. ..[/quote'] Ford got good results with SA, but like i said before (zzz) SA are a very professional side and their players respond to any coach (unless they are nutcases like Jennings). They aren't temperamental losers like the Indians are. You will notice that other Saffie coaches like Simons and Arthur haven't done poorly either, especially in Test cricket. Leaving aside the odd defeat in the subcontinent (where SA never did well anyway, even under Woolmer) they won most of their test series. So i don't know what to make of Ford based on his record with SA - regardless of how good it may be. He was still sacked, and you can't judge someone on such a short tenure.