Sign in to follow this  
ravishingravi

Sachin Tendulkar or Vivian Richards?

This is actually tougher to sell than Comparison with Bradman. I never saw Bradman play, but I have seen the King at work and I have to say there is none like him. He probably had the best eye of all the batsmen I have seen and could just plant his front foot down and play wherever he wanted. Not to mention that he scored when it mattered the most at brisk pace. I won't he even talk of his swagger, would make fast bowlers shake in their boots. This is one batsman I would put ahead of everyone including Goddy.

So Richards is better than Sachin because he could plonk his front foot down and play wherever he wanted? I Say Sachin is better than Viv because he could plonk both his front and back foot in various different directions on the pitch and get the ball wherever he wanted including behind and over the wicketkeeper. :beee:

I like the way how Richard picks up his game in important matches. He was avg'ing close to 60 in his best years and we know the manner in which he plays .... I would degress to ODIs for a moment where in 1975, he effected a few run outs with probably direct hits to change the game for WI and ofc in 1979 he hit that 100. In 19983, he was all set to guide WI home but for that memorable catch by Kapil .... If I am not wrong there was also a game at Rajkot which Ind was set to win but Richards hit some 7 sixes to seal the game for WI. He hit a 100 in one of the tests to give WI the win. If I am not wrong, Ind later won the last test because of Hirwani to tie the series

I like the way how Richard picks up his game in important matches. He was avg'ing close to 60 in his best years and we know the manner in which he plays .... I would degress to ODIs for a moment where in 1975' date=' he effected a few run outs with probably direct hits to change the game for WI and ofc in 1979 he hit that 100. In 19983, he was all set to guide WI home but for that memorable catch by Kapil .... If I am not wrong there was also a game at Rajkot which Ind was set to win but Richards hit some 7 sixes to seal the game for WI. He hit a 100 in one of the tests to give WI the win. If I am not wrong, Ind later won the last test because of Hirwani to tie the series[/quote'] Yup. Viv had great knack of scoring when it mattered the most especially in 2nd innings

Viv's swagger was unparalleled' date=' but Sachin has achieved so much that its nearly impossible to rate any batsman conclusively higher than him.[/quote'] I am not talking about individual stats which would make Kallis a better player than Viv. Purely from cricketing sensibilities.

Based on cricketing sensibilities which were the great bowling attacks that Sir Viv Richards faced in his cricketing career? Would you consider bowling attacks of India, New Zealand, England, Australia and Pakistan as world class? I was born after his time so I have no clue... Only thing I know is Richards teams had the fastest and meanest bowlers during that period :hmmm:

^Good Point Roro and can anyone answer if there were any special spinners during the Viv era whom he handled with ease? I guess he had a poor average against Pakistan and struggled against quality spinners.

Richards was the original master blaster who played without helmet and fear unlike modern day greats. The greatest cricketer of all time, Imran Khan played against both and rates Ricahrds ahead of all

Richards was the original master blaster who played without helmet and fear unlike modern day greats. The greatest cricketer of all time' date= Imran Khan played against both and rates Ricahrds ahead of all
:hmmm:

Richards was the original master blaster who played without helmet and fear unlike modern day greats. The greatest cricketer of all time' date=' Imran Khan played against both and rates Ricahrds ahead of all[/quote'] Having bowled against 16 years old Sachin in his debut series, Imran has really seen a great deal of Sachin as a co-player. Isn't it? Not discounting Imran's views in general, but can't take his views as a person who played with Sachin.

Also worth adding that although Viv did face the fastest and meanest bowlers head on, a 16 year old Sachin also faced quick bowlers with flimsy helmets without a proper grill. I think everyone's seen this: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMG1PaR4Vy4]YouTube - ‪Sachin tandulkar first interview‬‏[/ame] "No, I won't have any trouble facing Malcolm Marshall"... But yeah, Viv had a whole heap of **** going against him and had to endure more mental tests than Sachin. It used to be a very raw and ugly game.

And oh yes... Talking about helmets and all that... Sachin did bat inspite of a bloody nose in his debut test against Pakistan... he didnt retire and un-retire unlike our so called neighbouring lions :beee: "who suddenly after playing 1 test realize they are unfit to play at that level"

Based on cricketing sensibilities which were the great bowling attacks that Sir Viv Richards faced in his cricketing career? Would you consider bowling attacks of India, New Zealand, England, Australia and Pakistan as world class? I was born after his time so I have no clue... Only thing I know is Richards teams had the fastest and meanest bowlers during that period :hmmm:
Actually I would consider England and Australia' attack as very good in late 70s and early 80s. Sure West Indies had the best attack though. If we are going to go on what cabe classed world class then modern day cricket and Sachin' case gets weaker since we have had only two quality bowling attacks during Sachin's time considering India hardly faced Pakistan, West Indies in 90s and he didn't exactly pulverise the south Africans. So let's not go down the route of what constitutes world class. Not to forget Packer series which is generally regarded by the cricketers and writers as the toughest form of cricket in testing conditions, Viv hammered the attacks including some of his own As for Imran opinion, it is not just his. Many cricketers share it and if you ask Sachin he might also say this. IIRC Viv was his role model.

Richards was the original master blaster who played without helmet and fear unlike modern day greats. The greatest cricketer of all time' date='[b'] Imran Khan played against both and rates Ricahrds ahead of all
Imran retired when Sachin was just eighteen.... He was used to getting hammered by Richards....What else do u expect from him Even your probable source says" Imran Khan and noted writer John Birmingham are of the opinion that Richards was the best ever batsman against genuine fast bowling " Tendulakar will allways remain No. 1. Richards no. 2.. and only after that any one with any knowledge of cricket wil consider white dudes...

When compared to Tendulkar. here's another stat : No.Of Sub 25 avg bowlers faced by Viv = 5 in a Total of 38 Tests No.Of Sub 25 avg bowlers faced by SRT = 18 in a Total of 108 Tests. Thats almost as long as Vivs entire test career. :--D
Great stat!

Richards was the original master blaster who played without helmet and fear unlike modern day greats. The greatest Pakistani cricketer of all time' date= Imran Khan played against both and rates Ricahrds ahead of all
:two_thumbs_up:

When compared to Tendulkar. here's another stat : No.Of Sub 25 avg bowlers faced by Viv = 5 in a Total of 38 Tests No.Of Sub 25 avg bowlers faced by SRT = 18 in a Total of 108 Tests. Thats almost as long as Vivs entire test career. :--D
I'm not comparing him to Goddy. I've always said the Goddy is the best ever - there's no other player who can be compared to him, be it Viv Richards or Bradman or anyone else :--D What I'm saying is that Viv Richards was not a mediocre player. Today we see the likes of Sehwag, Gilchrist etc demolish attacks with great ease - it was Viv Richards who really started this kind of batting IMO. He was one of the very few players who's mere presence was enough to intimidate bowlers. In an era when players usually had a strike rate of 70-75 in ODIs, he had a strike rate of 90+ that was astonishing in those times.

Viv may have been more intimidating, and on his day he was better than anyone, but otherwise SRT is a more complete batsman and his record speaks for himself. I think even Viv will say SRT is the best.

I'm not comparing him to Goddy. I've always said the Goddy is the best ever - there's no other player who can be compared to him, be it Viv Richards or Bradman or anyone else :--D What I'm saying is that Viv Richards was not a mediocre player. Today we see the likes of Sehwag, Gilchrist etc demolish attacks with great ease - it was Viv Richards who really started this kind of batting IMO. He was one of the very few players who's mere presence was enough to intimidate bowlers. In an era when players usually had a strike rate of 70-75 in ODIs, he had a strike rate of 90+ that was astonishing in those times.
Totally agree. I dont think Viv is a better batsman than SRT, but saying Viv Richards is mediocre is a partisan statement. His ODI average is 47 with a SR of 90+. Plus a handy bowling average of 35.

I like the way how Richard picks up his game in important matches. He was avg'ing close to 60 in his best years and we know the manner in which he plays .... I would degress to ODIs for a moment where in 1975' date=' he effected a few run outs with probably direct hits to change the game for WI and ofc in 1979 he hit that 100. In 19983, he was all set to guide WI home but for that memorable catch by Kapil .... If I am not wrong there was also a game at Rajkot which Ind was set to win but Richards hit some 7 sixes to seal the game for WI. He hit a 100 in one of the tests to give WI the win. If I am not wrong, Ind later won the last test because of Hirwani to tie the series[/quote']I remember both the matches of the 87-88 tour. The ODI where Richards smashed a brutal 110 or something...twas his last ODI century in his career...quite telling that stat given Viv played till 1991 (much like Kapsy, and his mate Botham, Viv also lost his abilities quite drastically). The century in the Test series was Mumbai if I am not wrong...it was the first or second Test of the series...it was a 4 Test series. But the more brutal innings came in the first ODI of that series by the just recently sacked captain, Kapil. Big Buffalo Patrick Patterson sent shivers down India's spine and we were 36 for 5. then me hero comes out and plays one for the Gods. I have never seen Richards with an expression of worry or fear but the way Kapil took the buffalo by his horns and sent him all around, damn Richards could be forgiven for forgetting he was Richards. At one point he put 7 men on the on side which wasn't allowed and the ump intervened to tell him the rule was a max of 6 on the On side. I was in sixth standard then but I remember the innings really well.

This is actually tougher to sell than Comparison with Bradman. I never saw Bradman play, but I have seen the King at work and I have to say there is none like him. He probably had the best eye of all the batsmen I have seen and could just plant his front foot down and play wherever he wanted. Not to mention that he scored when it mattered the most at brisk pace. I won't he even talk of his swagger, would make fast bowlers shake in their boots. This is one batsman I would put ahead of everyone including Goddy.
I think this comparison resembles (at a slightly lower level) a comparison between Viru and Pawning. While Viru induces fear in the opposition, Pawning also induces fear in his own way. As long as Pawning is in there you know he can win it for you or dig you out of a hole. But Viru is not a well rounded batsman in that sense...he can get you out of trouble only by counter attacking. Viv was the original counter attacker I'd say. But if the pitch has some juice or a deadly spell of bowling was going on, you can't count on Viru surviving it...I don't remember and haven't heard of any such performances by Viv. So while Viv could bludgeon and would come good on most days, I don't think he was as reliable as Sachin is. So while Viv may be the King, Sachin is beyond all such earthly titles...he is a bloody Buddha! I also think the Prince from Trinidad was mightier than the Jamaican King. Lara best batsman to come out of WI for me. Next comes Sobers and only then Viv.

This with vs w/o helmet thing is an absurd point of comparison. Just because Sachin grew up playing with helmet does not mean that he would not have played as good w/o helmet. I would imagine he would have played even more freely. Helmet does protect against bouncers, but it also adds a bit of inconvenience, esp. in hot and humid conditions.

Viv is the greatest ODI batsman(47+ av with 90+SR in the toughest era of bowling without a helmet). However overall Viv=Sach.
And most of those fearsome fast bowlers were on his side :winky:

6ZOenyArzrU ^ ODI: Richards 189* against Eng .... brillant inning, I love how he smashes Botham around :giggle: .... Commentator "does look a different game when Richards is batting" HwfQ103YzkM&feature=related ^: TestsRichards 232 in 1976 vs Eng

I read some comments 'facing better bowlers' but that argument doesn't count for Tendulkar as I have shown in one of my earlier posts that he probably doesn't even average 40 when playing good bowling pairs like iirc Waqar-Wasim, Mcgrath-Warne, Donald-Pollock, etc .... And that avg is not even amongst the top of his peers :winky: ..... So let's cut that crap or may be let the comical idol worshiping continue for entertainment :--D

What people don't understand is why Sachin is a class apart others. Sachin has been doing the same for the past 21 years. There are batsman who can match his technique but they can't be as consistent as the Master. He gets better with the age.

I read some comments 'facing better bowlers' but that argument doesn't count for Tendulkar as I have shown in one of my earlier posts that he probably doesn't even average 40 when playing good bowling pairs like iirc Waqar-Wasim' date=' Mcgrath-Warne, Donald-Pollock, etc .... And that avg is not even amongst the top of his peers :winky: ..... So let's cut that crap or may be let the comical idol worshiping continue for entertainment :--D[/quote'] Here we go again :facepalm:

Richards was the original master blaster who played without helmet and fear unlike modern day greats. The greatest cricketer of all time' date=' Imran Khan played against both and rates Ricahrds ahead of all[/quote'] How much did "the greatest cricketer" :hysterical: Imran play with Sachin? When he was 16? Takes a might brave Pak to admit an indian was the best at something. Can you even admit that Sachin was and is better than any Pak batsmen of all time? Thats why they need Richards who says Sachin is better than him and he wants to be compared to Sehwag for his destructive play or Yuvraj for how him and Richards both light up England

but the OP was .... hence the need to shine some light on who stands were in comparison to one another. I cant believe that after all that he has done just in the recent past there are people who still harp about this "doesn't perform when needed"
those people are blind haters and will continue to hate him no matter what :giggle: