Sachin Tendulkar or Vivian Richards?

A Real tough comparison, but I haven't seen much of Richards while playing, just 1 or 2 innings so I cant say much, but the fact that Viv was more brutal against fast bowling without a helmet gives him the upper edge as that would threaten the bowlers and there was a fear in bowlers they were abt to bowl to Viv.

:facepalm: Richard did not play cricket in stone age..... Video follower have already seen Richards playing too. Not highlights. or you tube videos.... Complete test series. They are not relying on your statsguru.... Why do Coaches watch a player before they select them from a lower league to upper league. Because stats are for guidance only
If video footage can negate stats from stone age, why can't they negate stats from the golden age? :facepalm: :facepalm:
Go ahead present some videos of Viv and SRT tell us how it does .
I will leave it to the Video bakths to use them and decide. All I am saying, don't bother with this average shaverage, less than 50, more than 50, etc. Just see video and decide. :winky: May be one of you find Viv's front foot plonk better technique, and others find Sachin's compactness and straight drives more compelling. Seems like a better way to discuss than all these useless stats. :hahaha:

Hey since I see no bar when people present stats mixing up ODI's and Tests as they please - Here is something to ponder. Since they started playing cricket till date combining all forms of the games (FC, Tests, ODI's, List A, 20-20) here are how many total Runs and Centuries each of SRT and Viv Richards have scored. SRT - 46,000 odd runs 138 Centuries Viv - 53,000 odd runs 140 Centuries SRT still needs 7k runs to catch up with Viv as of now.

Hey since I see no bar when people present stats mixing up ODI's and Tests as they please - Here is something to ponder. Since they started playing cricket till date combining all forms of the games (FC, Tests, ODI's, List A, 20-20) here are how many total Runs and Centuries each of SRT and Viv Richards have scored. SRT - 46,000 odd runs 138 Centuries Viv - 53,000 odd runs 140 Centuries SRT still needs 7k runs to catch up with Viv as of now.
What a great way to compare..>> cobine all the stats in one go....:hatsoff:
When he is done with that, he can probably take up bowling full time to catch up with the 513 wickets, 702 catches, and 1 stumping of Richards. :nice:
:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:
:adore: :adore: :adore: :adore: I thought only Vaibhav could make such posts but you have surpassed him :hatsoff:
:facepalm: Richard did not play cricket in stone age..... Video follower have already seen Richards playing too. Not highlights. or you tube videos.... Complete test series. They are not relying on your statsguru.... Why do Coaches watch a player before they select them from a lower league to upper league. Because stats are for guidance only
If video footage can negate stats from stone age' date= why can't they negate stats from the golden age? :facepalm: :facepalm:
How did you relate the two... It meant we have seen test games for them.. Followed many weekend watching them play As I said you stats would not win any fans. They are for guidance only.... Read this article. And tell me if you managed to finish it all. We need videos from stone age because most of us were not alive to watch the cricket. Dont argue for the sake of arguing. http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/509803.html
It is telling that Tendulkar is the standard by which every other batsman is measured. All such threads begin with "SRT or IVAR?" "SRT or DB?" "SRT or RP?" "SRT or BL?" "SRT or SMG?"
Errr not exactly. All such threads that are initiated are done by the usual suspect on predominantly Indian message boards. Kind of similar to certain Tamilian fans I know who bask in Rajni > Kamal, Rajni > Amitabh, Rajni > Shahrukh rant. By the by for whatever it is worth I have seen both and for sheer impact it would be hard to beat Richards. SRT would always have statistics on his side and makes for a stellar argument but between the two I think Viv would be rated more. And Sunny would be rated ahead of Viv :--D

IMHO, both Richards and Tendulkar belong to the same league. No need to say that both of them are exceptionally gifted batsmen. I would like to have both of them in my team but if I had to pick one, who would I go for? A Richards in his best form or a Tendulkar in his best form. Or inversely, If I were the opposition captain, who would give me more nightmares. The answer is an inform Richards. This guy can turn the game on its head in no time and drive the opposition nuts. Which is why I would rather have Richards in my team than Tendulkar, even though both of them are in the same league. To illustrate, take a look at ODI WC finals. Richards just rises whether it is in fielding or batting. On the other hand, look at what Tendulkar did in 2003 and 2011 WC final games. PS I remember that 80 odd Lara hit against Ind in 2nd innings of one of the tests in India. The indications were the game would end in a draw and Ind would win the series. The guy hits a quick fire 80 on a track helping the spinners somewhat. That allows WI bowlers enough time to bowl Ind out and draw the series. Or who can forget the 50 odd he hit on a dynamite of a pitch in WI, where Ind could not chase 100 odd to win. Or his 150 odd against Australia to win the test batting with the tail. These are the type of magical innings that change the game for your team and such players would be amonsgt the top ones of the shopping list of my team :grin:

IMHO, both Richards and Tendulkar belong to the same league. No need to say that both of them are exceptionally gifted batsman. If I had the choice to pick one, who would I go for? A Richards in his best form or a Tendulkar in his best form. Or inversely, If I were the opposition captain, who would give me more nightmares. The answer is an inform Richards. This guy can turn the game on its head in no time and drive the opposition nuts. Which is why I would rather have Richards in my team than Tendulkar, even though both of them are in the same league. To illustrate, take a look at ODI WC finals. Richards just rises whether it is in fielding or batting. On the other hand, look at what Tendulkar did in 2003 and 2011 WC final games.
Why fake the 'unbiased' view in first two paras? Finals is not the only imp match in the tourney. Sachin's record in tourney's involving more than 3 teams is unparalleled. That does not mean I am claiming Sachin >>>> Viv or otherway round. I am just pointing out the non-sense about - Sachin fails in 'finals', 'clutch' matches/situations and all that similar crap.
Why fake the 'unbiased' view in first two paras? Finals is not the only imp match in the tourney. Sachin's record in tourney's involving more than 3 teams is unparalleled. That does not mean I am claiming Sachin >>>> Viv or otherway round. I am just pointing out the non-sense about - Sachin fails in 'finals', 'clutch' matches/situations and all that similar crap.
Someone can even argue that in tourneys where there are more than 2 teams involved, the chances of doing well against weaker teams increases :winky: And if someone is picking b/w two greats players, he has to see how they have done in important games, no? Or is that everything is suppose to go for Sachin and against the other player :giggle: