Sachin Tendulkar or Vivian Richards?

And while we keyboard cricketers fret over this question, here is Sir Viv about SRT, and weaved in is a statement about SRT's opinion of Sir Viv:

"I didn't see Don but to me, in all my years associated with the game, I haven't seen a better batsman than Sachin Tendulkar," said Richards in a eulogy to the "little man", who openly professes to have idolised him while growing up.
http://www.cricketcountry.com/cricket-articles/Tendulkar-is-the-greatest-batsman-Viv-Richards-/3138
BTW' date=' rett talking about WC finals, didn't Richard play irresponsibly in the 83 finals? :dontknow:[/quote'] The thing about guys like Richards is that they will give you chances but credit to Kapil for taking that catch as if his life depended on it. Richards made one mistake and Ind kissed the WC so no complains there :two_thumbs_up: .... though I have only watched the highlights of thast game, someone who watched it live could give an even better account
The thing about guys like Richards is that they will give you chances but credit to Kapil for taking that catch as if his life depended on it. Richards made one mistake and Ind kissed the WC so no complains there :two_thumbs_up: .... though I have only watched the highlights of thast game' date=' someone who watched it live could give an even better account[/quote'] Sir Viv played the 2nd best innings of that match after Krishnamachari Srikkanth, who had his own brand of swagger. I am old enough to remember watching it live, and a dozen times afterward, so take my word for it. Based on that on match, Srikkanth > Viv for performance *and* swagger. How 'bout that?
Sir Viv played the 2nd best innings of that match after Krishnamachari Srikkanth, who had his own brand of swagger. I am old enough to remember watching it live, and a dozen times afterward, so take my word for it. Based on that on match, Srikkanth > Viv for performance *and* swagger. How 'bout that?
Thanks for confirming that Viv played the 2nd best inning of that game. The point was that he could not go on to play the best knock of the day (may have played an irresponsible shot) to give WI a hat-trick of WC wins .... Good for Ind :yay:
In my opinion, swagger is over-rated. Aamir Sohail had swagger ... see where it got him.
If you really think Sohail's swagger was comparable to Richards then I should probably save us both some time and stop a reply. There is a world of difference between Richards coming out to face Thomson with a swagger than a Sohail coming out to meet Prasad. Never heard Sohail giving any swagger to Ambrose, for example. Heck I have never heard even the die-hard Pakistani fans compare Sohail in the same sentence, swagger or otherwise, with Richards.
More to the point - Before we compare Tendulkar and Richards, one must come up with specific criteria upon which you want to base the comparison. (1) Consistency (2) Longevity (3) Likelihood of completely decimating an attack on any given day (4) Better at his best (5) Better at his worst - that is, who had a better ability to grind it out and make it count even when they were not in good form? (6) Value to team
Consistency and Longevity are hallmarks for fans who want to fall on crutches for players who have had a long career. Period. Nobody ever judges a player on these two criteria. If that was indeed the barometer then Walsh would be greatest bowler ever. In this day and age of modern cricket batting where every decent batsman scores over 50 easily, wearing body armor that will put Commandoes to shame, on dead pitches with small boundaries, heavy bats where mishits routinely go for six, against bowlers who are not allowed to operate at will. You are gonna compare these to folks who would come out sans helmet knowing fully well they will be peppered with six bouncers in 1 over? And thats assuming there is no no-balls?? Who here really think SRT would have the same career had he been facing Marshall and Holding over 5 test series say 6 times over his career? Marshall took off the bat from Sunny's hand, broke Vengarkar nose, bled Amarnath multiple times, fractured Gaekwad's jaw etc etc. He would have a problem doing the same to SRT? Really? When Fred Trueman took his 309th wicket he had famously said whoever broke his record would be dead tired. Today of course every Tom, Dick and Bhajji has twice that number of wickets. So much so for modern day longevity. xxx
Sir Viv played the 2nd best innings of that match after Krishnamachari Srikkanth, who had his own brand of swagger. I am old enough to remember watching it live, and a dozen times afterward, so take my word for it. Based on that on match, Srikkanth > Viv for performance *and* swagger. How 'bout that?
Dont say that to Cheeka. Even he would go :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: at you.
If you really think Sohail's swagger was comparable to Richards then I should probably save us both some time and stop a reply. There is a world of difference between Richards coming out to face Thomson with a swagger than a Sohail coming out to meet Prasad. Never heard Sohail giving any swagger to Ambrose' date=' for example. Heck I have never heard even the die-hard Pakistani fans compare Sohail in the same sentence, swagger or otherwise, with Richards.[/quote'] Point taken. My point? Swagger alone does not a batsman make. One can be a great batsman with no overt swagger. Said another way, swagger does not equate to confidence. By themselves, consistency and longevity are insufficient for the "greatest ever" tag. Like a Dravid. But, it adds value to him who combines it with the ability to annihilate attacks. Like an SRT. Viv faced Marshall and Holding in tests? I see your point, but while we are being nitpicky, ... To the point, who is to say SRT would not have succeeded under those conditions? It is a question that will never be answered. Once again, it is just *one* criterion. xxx
:adore: :adore: :adore: :adore: I thought only Vaibhav could make such posts but you have surpassed him :hatsoff:
How did I miss this gem? Weren't't you the one who combined stats of every format to show that Tendulkar is way ahead of his peer(s) (Ponting, iirc) to show that he like Bradman dominated his peers! .... I have seen folks discussing how many international 100s, he has hit .... Now you are trying to point out srtfanssuck, who is imitating folks like you :haha: