'2002 riot records destroyed'

1983-2011

I was in France when the riots broke out .... Said some great things about Gujarat to someone in France, then I go back to the hotel, switched the TV on and saw the news about riots .... No need to say I was saddened by the event Why would you need to riot and kill so many innocent people? This was the question that poped up. But once I digged deeper, the things I found were shocking * In a small town, some 5000 people gathered to burn down a train carrying Hindus to Ayodhya. So many people knew that people were going to be murdered but not one informed the authorities! * There were people shouting on loud speakers in mosques to kill Hindus. If Hindus didn't act and seize weapons stored at those mosques, then it could have been even worse. Which place of worship announces in speakers to kill people of other religion? * Over the years, during Hindu festivals, stones are pelted at religious processions. Have Hindus done that to religious processions of other religion in Gujarat? * Let's not forget Pak victories being celebrated at certain sections of the cities. At some point, the volcano was going to burst. Those who are not involved in this can take the high moral ground and speak Gandhigiri but leave this issue to the people of Gujarat. After the eruption of emotions, Gujarat is once again a peaceful state. If you are really so concerned about certain sections of our society, then please go and help those section out (I doubt many here would have done much charity work).
As hard as it is to bite this bullet, I don't believe there can be any other way

Modi or No Modi, if Godhra happens again, expect another riots. Those who live in Gujarat will understand that. There were riots before Modi was in power. I saw it with my own eyes in Ahmedabad, When Sonia visited Ahmedabad, one particular neighbourhood were chanting, Pakistan Zindbad and tiranga was burned. No wonder there were riots in certain part of Ahmedabad after that. This was in 99 IIRC.
That's pathetic. You live in one country, but you burn its flag and chant slogans of a perceived enemy as if you are not an Indian. You carry out anti-national activities against your own people like supporting Kashmiri militants .... And then when things go wrong, you line up as an Indian I wonder how many of those going to Haj have been murdered and then Hindus on a train to Ayodhya, in Kashmir, those going to Amarnath get murdered as if nothing is going to happen or change

Those who believe that Modi had no hand in these riots are either naive or do not know how politics works in India - this kind of a riot can never, ever happen in any part of the country without the support of the Govt in power in that state. It is simply impossible.

oye Gujjubhai it is Freedom of expression wonly :dontmentionit: /HeadlessPseudoLiberal
No BB, you are wrong here. Dunno how it is in your part of the world, but in India disrespect to the national flag is a crime and is punishable by law. Even when it is not intentional. In some cases, people have been sentenced to 1 year for it. No liberal or conservative or anyone is going to condone that. It has nothing to do with freedom of expression.

Rett: I can understand that being a Gujarati, you are angry about what happened in Godhra and all that. Your frustration is also understandable. But don't let that cloud your thinking when it comes to dispensing justice. Forget that you are a Hindu. Forget that ( most) of the victims of the riot were Muslims. There were people who did wrong, and there were people who were wronged. Do you know, that the perpetrators of the Godhra train massacre have been tried and punished in various degrees by the courts. Quite a few have been given the death sentence. Many have been awarded life imprisonments and many more lesser punishments. For crimes ranging from murder, conspiracy to murder, abetting murder, destroying evidence and what not. And all of them deserve the punishment. No one is going to shed tears over them. In some way, the families of the victims of the Godhra train massacre can have some closure to this chapter of their life. I know this verdict will not bring the dead ones back, but they have some semblance of justice. On the other hand, the families of those who suffered in the riots, who were just as innocent as those who were burned in the train have had no such luck. There have been very few cases, in spite of the gargantuan amount of evidence and eye witness testimonials, there have been very few arrest- superficial at that and there has been nothing close to justice for these victims. Many of them have lost their property/ businesses completely in the riots. Not only has the state not been able to give them any kind of justice ( I'm not saying they are complicit) nor have they been given any compensation. For the Godhra chapter to be fully over, there has to be closure to this end of the story too. These people were also innocents. Some of the killers are roaming free after committing some heinous crimes. Who are the victims supposed to turn to, in such a situation? Whose duty is it to ensure that they get their dues and justice?

On the other hand, the families of those who suffered in the riots, who were just as innocent as those who were burned in the train have had no such luck. There have been very few cases, in spite of the gargantuan amount of evidence and eye witness testimonials, there have been very few arrest- superficial at that and there has been nothing close to justice for these victims. Many of them have lost their property/ businesses completely in the riots. Not only has the state not been able to give them any kind of justice ( I'm not saying they are complicit) nor have they been given any compensation. For the Godhra chapter to be fully over, there has to be closure to this end of the story too. These people were also innocents. Some of the killers are roaming free after committing some heinous crimes. Who are the victims supposed to turn to, in such a situation? Whose duty is it to ensure that they get their dues and justice? Our History is filled with Hindu-Muslim riots, its not possible to really find culprit when its done by masses. When people say only Muslim were victims, I say not correct. My cousin's shop was burned down and so called pro Hindu Modi did not even compensate him till today. Its time to move on and I am sure lot of ppl have moved on for better future.

Our History is filled with Hindu-Muslim riots, its not possible to really find culprit when its done by masses. When people say only Muslim were victims, I say not correct.
Which people said that? I didn't.
My cousin's shop was burned down and so called pro Hindu Modi did not even compensate him till today.
Sorry to hear about that. Really am. Ideally the state should compensate all those lost property/ business in the riots.
Its time to move on and I am sure lot of ppl have moved on for better future.
Then its moving on because there is no choice. Thats not right. Best to bring these things to a fair closure and be done with it. Its much better than someone moving on and feeling that he/she is denied the chance to get any justice.

^ I've personally spoken with IAS/IPS officers who received orders from 'higher up' to not do anything. No matter what spin you guys might want to give I am at peace at knowing the truth and not so at peace with knowing that nothing will happen about it except finding some scapegoats which has been the norm in every criminal activity by politicians in India. Keep on voting for a genocidal maniac - I am at peace with the fact that the rest of India will never let this murdered rise to a higher rank than where he is by spilling blood of innocents.

> I've personally spoken with IAS/IPS officers who received orders from 'higher up' to not do anything. No matter what spin you guys might want to give I am at peace at knowing the truth and not so at peace with knowing that nothing will happen about it except finding some scapegoats which has been the norm in every criminal activity by politicians in India. I refuse to believe any IPS officer, most of them are corrupt and their aim is to make money. I had a friend whose dad was IPS office in Ahmedabad and his only aim was to clear the IPS or IAS exam and start making money. He was freaking arrogant. The reason why our society is corrupt because of these fellows, they have all the power, education, qualification to change the system, but *****ers don't do anything. I wish even there were 50% honest like Kiran Bedi, our politicians would not have been able to do the ****.. and yes you can keep making judgement based on this IPS officer. Why did they take orders, they could have said, ***** you Modi, I am incharge of law and order and I will do whatever it takes. It so easy to say oh man I was ordered to do that from higher up. And last, genocide?? LOL?? so only muslims were victims of riots?? LOL, did you even know how many hindus were victim...

^ have you seen me talking about 84 riots?? I don't know about it and don't want to. Neither I have muslim hatred, I have more muslim friend they you can imagine, most of them are businessman. Yes 1000 deadbodies..yes all of them from one community..sure..it was genocide...sponsored by state..and once they killed this 1000, they stopped and let other muslim live peacefully.. wow..