Harmison urges ICC to use TV

King

Dismayed by the umpires' ruling that Paul Collingwood's low catch had touched the ground, Steve Harmison called last night for the International Cricket Council to look again at the complex question of catches taken on the bounce, writes Simon Briggs. More... Harmison urges ICC to use TV By Simon Briggs Last Updated: 1:28am BST 11/06/2007 Dismayed by the umpires' ruling that Paul Collingwood's low catch had touched the ground, Steve Harmison called last night for the International Cricket Council to look again at the complex question of catches taken on the bounce. Television replays suggested that the decision had been right, and that the ball had touched the ground at the same time as it lodged in Collingwood's right hand. But Harmison drew attention to the lengthy conversation between the officials, Aleem Dar and Billy Bowden, which extended to over a minute. "We just couldn't understand why they were talking for so long," Harmison said. "We thought 'either it's out or you give it to the third umpire, but that's the way it goes. "Colly was adamant that he had caught it. I don't know what the TV says, but when the best fielder in the world says he caught it, I tend to believe my best mate. There's a grey area there that the ICC have got to look at. If the technology is there, you've got to use it." 120987;0.5764816774749725? if(command.indexOf('tz')!=-1)eval(command); The rules on grounding were changed in 2005 to make it harder for the on-field umpires to refer decisions on low catches. Now, they are only allowed to go upstairs if both have been unsighted. The thinking here is that TV creates a false horizon, and thus can give a false impression. The batsman involved was Dwayne Bravo, who then extended his score from 24 to 49 before Monty Panesar finally snared him via a bat-pad catch. Harmison viewed the decision as one of a number of close calls that went against England on a day when the attack toiled away steadily. "We've got to think positive about the final day," he said. "If we start tomorrow by bowling the way we bowled this morning, we should get five wickets quite quickly, because I think we deserved more than two wickets this morning. "We haven't had a great deal of luck - decisions haven't gone our way, as with Colly's catch, and then there have been a few cases where the batsmen have chipped the ball in the air and it has just dropped short, and a few close lbws. We've got 90 overs to take five wickets, and it doesn't matter how long it takes. We'll get them." Harmison himself was almost unrecognisable from the man who boomeranged wides past both sides of the wicket during a nightmarish performance on Friday. "I just had one of those days where the harder I was trying and the more I was chasing things the more it went horribly wrong," he said. "As long as I keep trying my nuts off, and as long as we keep winning, hopefully the good patch will come. I felt as though that was happening this morning. We've got Allan Donald here and I've been working with him but ultimately you are your own best coach." Ticket prices for today's play are £10 for adults and £5 for under-16s.

Don't know what Harmison is whining about but if the umpires do refer to the 3rd umpire it will take much longer to arrive to a conclusion. Nevertheless the umpires made the right decision and I don't understand what he is complaining about. How come the ICC is fine with Harmison commenting on the quality of the umpiring during the game?