Sign in to follow this  
zubinpepsi

Breaking News- Ford Turns down India coach offer

saw in cricinfo commmentary Breaking news - Graham Ford has turned down the India coaching role ... now, there's a turn-up. And if there was genuinely a shortlist of two - him and John Emburey - then does that mean Embers is the odds-on favourite? so wats gonna happen now??? :giggle: Gavaskar must be laughing his ass off.. --------------- The right decision for me and my family" Ford turns down India job Cricinfo staff June 11, 2007 spacer.gif297442.jpg?alt=1 Graham Ford and John Emburey before meeting board officials. Ford subsequently revealed that the job was not for him © AFP Graham Ford has turned down the Indian board's offer to coach the national side, opting instead to stay on as director of coaching at Kent County Cricket Club. A media release issued by the county quoted him as saying: "I am very grateful to the club for allowing me to go to India to find out more about the job of coaching the Indian Team. I have had a chance to reflect on the offer made by the BCCI and their urgency to fill the vacant position. "After careful consideration, I have decided to continue my work here at Kent. This has been a really difficult decision. I am honoured that India have shown such interest in my capabilities, but feel that this is the right decision for me and my family." The news will come as a severe blow to the BCCI, who didn't have any other noteworthy candidates lined up once Dav Whatmore was ruled out by the seven-man committee. More to follow http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/297675.html

I heard yesterday Ravi Shastri beaming with pride about forwarded Ford's name to BCCI. BCCI must have offered him ridiculous salary and over it they probably must have mentioned performance related bonuses crap. BCCI is the most richest poor cricketing board that can't even finalize a coach. Dav Whatmore must be laughing at BCCI. Serves BCCI right.

What an idiot FORD is. Lack of ambition, stupidity, you name it Stay at Kent mate. Go nowhere. As for the BCCI...can you imagine if it was Emburey- a man who has done fack all at any coaching level Serves them right for ruling out Whatmore so early in the process. Faggots We are fuked

:dontknow: Why did Ford play out this nonsense? Maybe he didn't. I await the 'More to follow'
I think Ford is right. It was no nonsense from his part. BCCI might have offered a ridiculous package and he would have assessed it not to be enough to handle such a stressful job staying away from his young family! Why do BCCI think that the world would dance to their tune?

this b@$t@rd gavasakr is ruining indian cricket... he ll get an indian coach now... BCCI deserves this... i pity the players... But issit mandatory to emply embruey now??? dont know wat will b whatmore's response now...

I think Ford is right. It was no nonsense from his part.
I was reacting to the announcement, reported by Anand Vasu in Cricinfo, "Graham Ford was appointed India's coach on Saturday" Apparently, this was not the case.

There are no other coach in the horizon. Emburey is "THE MAN" for Indian Cricket :hysterical: I cannot believe BCCI has shot its own foot. Good on ya Ford. Someone had to show BCCI a finger and Ford did a middle one :tounge_smile:

Ford snubs India - have to find another coach Duplicate thread - please delete it for me. Apologies. I am not saying this but AFP news agency. I guess India will have to rethink and give the job to Emburey. I would say now BCCI should go with an Indian candiate - Sandeep Patil gets my vote. Cricket: Ford turns down India

Monday, June 11, 2007 13:45:44

by Angus MacKinnon ATTENTION - ADDS Indian reax /// LONDON, June 11, 2007 (AFP) - Graham Ford has snubbed an offer to become India's new coach in favour of staying on in his current role as director of cricket at English county Kent. The South African's decision, announced on Monday, will come as a major blow to Indian cricket chiefs who believed they had reached an agreement with Ford that would see him take over the India team on a one-year contract before the end of this month. The 46-year-old was selected for the role on Saturday following an interview in Chennai and had been due to tell his new employers when he could start work by Monday. Instead, he revealed that he had had a change of heart. "I am very grateful to the Club for allowing me to go to India to find out more about the job of coaching the Indian Team," he said in a statement released by Kent. "I have had a chance to reflect on the offer made by the BCCI and their urgency to fill the vacant position. After careful consideration, I have decided to continue my work here at Kent. "This has been a really difficult decision. I am honoured that India have shown such interest in my capabilities, but feel that this is the right decision for me and my family." Ford's decision delighted Kent cricket chairman Graham Johnson. "I know that all in the business at Kent, the playing staff, the coaching staff and all our administrators will be thrilled by his decision," he said. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) now faces a race against time to find a successor to Greg Chappell ahead of the scheduled one-day internationals against Ireland and South Africa between June 23 and July 1, and the subsequent Test series in England. In New Delhi, senior BCCI officials went into a huddle to discuss Ford's refusal and chart out a future course of action. New candidates are expected to crop up at a previously scheduled meeting of the BCCI's working committee in New Delhi on Tuesday. Ford was chosen by a seven-member panel, headed by BCCI president Sharad Pawar and which included three former captains in Sunil Gavaskar, Srinivas Venkataraghavan and Ravi Shastri. India could turn to former England spinner John Emburey, who was also interviewed for one of the most high-profile jobs in cricket. But that would inevitably leave them open to accusations of having settled for a 'second choice' candidate. The panel had earlier rejected former Sri Lanka and Bangladesh coach Dav Whatmore despite media reports suggesting that he was almost certain to get the job. Former Indian captain Ajit Wadekar lashed out at the BCCI for announcing Ford's name before he had accepted their offer. "The board jumped the gun," said Wadekar. "Now they are left with nothing. "The good thing is Indian cricket cannot fall any lower. Hopefully, good times are ahead - if we can find a good coach." India are looking for a successor to former Australia captain Chappell, who quit after India crashed out in the first round of the recent World Cup in the Caribbean. Ford, who was South Africa's coach from 1999-2001 when the Proteas won nine of their 11 Test series, had been recommended by India's captain Rahul Dravid, a former Kent player. am-kl/lp07 AFP

Man, Ford is a savvy business man. He went to India and found out the money he needs to bargain with Kent and got it or maybe even more to stay at Kent. What a business man he is! Now BCCI is the one who has to receive this surprise package! Indian Cricket is sure an entertainment to watch both on the field and out of the field!

Unless one is desperate they would not want to coach the team in this BCCI setup they want to give a facking 1 year contract.

“The new coach’s performance will be reviewed by the committee after every tour,” said BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah in Bangalore on Monday. The committee is headed by BCCI president Sharad Pawar and also consists of three former captains - Sunil Gavaskar, Ravi Shastri and S Venkataraghavan

http://www.cricketnext.com/videos/25478/ford-shuns-bcci-offer-satisfied-with-kent.html whos this lal chand raj? CNN-IBN is throwing up this name.. dont know where this farce is going towards.... and how nicely srikanth markets himself for the coach... very funnny..:hysterical: indian ex-cricketers are now like bunch of wolves waiting for the prey..

I blame that stupid fack Gavasker for the mess we are in right now. This selfish senile geriatric fool was responsible for North West split during his playing days and now this cancer wants to destroy Indian cricket. Kick him out of BCCI inner circle for good.

I blame that stupid fack Gavasker for the mess we are in right now. This selfish senile geriatric fool was responsible for North West split during his playing days and now this cancer wants to destroy Indian cricket. Kick him out of BCCI inner circle for good.
Yeah ! Jump on the bandwagon...i've been saying this forever. The seniors along with the ex players should stay the hell away from Indian cricket if the administrators want the team to progress. This news comes to me as no surprise whatsoever. Ford didn't NEED the job; he was APPROACHED by the BCCI in desperation once they back-peddled on Woolmer. The onus was SOLELY on him to make the decision and the BCCI were left REELING like the jail-bait that they are. Let's face it - they aren't spoiled for choice. Now are they going suck in their fat stomachs and bring back Whatmore ? Unlikely - as Dav has his dignity and will obviously tell them to p*ss off. Indian cricket is getting EXACTLY what it deserves. I foresee another stupid short-term appointment for the ENG tour, as they stall the whole process in a deliberate attempt to make the gullible Indian public forget this HUMILIATION.

http://www.cricketnext.com/videos/25478/ford-shuns-bcci-offer-satisfied-with-kent.html whos this lal chand raj? CNN-IBN is throwing up this name.. dont know where this farce is going towards.... and how nicely srikanth markets himself for the coach... very funnny..:hysterical: indian ex-cricketers are now like bunch of wolves waiting for the prey..
Here is link for lalchand rajputhttp://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/story/256341.html Lately i think he was contesting at the mca elections for some post hedidnt get it so they might offer him this coaching assigment thats what cnnibn are hinting at.....

BCCI are a bunch of idiots. Why the hell did they have 2 canditates and fly them over for interviews, whats that all about! You dont need these silly formal interviews, you talk informally in private. Just like with chappell appointment they were made to do presenations, facking stupid! The search will start again apparently. Emburey wont get it, he was a dummy second candiate to make sure Ford won.

Yes' date=' I am sure IND will convincingly beat ENG next month and AUS down under with the tactical genius of Lalchand Rajput.[/quote'] I got to agree with you now about Dav Whatmore. What boneheaded decision by BCCI not to hire him especially considering the fact that Whatmore was very keen on coaching Team India. I guess we got a snapshot of how our politicians like Pawar function.

We will be fine yaar. Ford is thorough businesssman and he knows how to exploit BCCI. after all GORAs have ruled us for 150 years.. Who would know it better. He knows that we are completely banking on him. Ford is looking for some extra $$$$ from BCCI. Nothing less. Now that BCCI learning from GC experience of paying handsome earning NONE, they dont want to pay upfront lump some money there. They want to make it performance based which Ford knows that Indian team wont perform for him to earn handsomely..... Good going BCCI-Ford... i know they are not stupid yaar. BCCI has lot of money and they dont want to give it just like that. If the most highly paid job does not deliver then why heck even bother appoiting such an expensive guy there. As I always favored an Indian coach. These seniors dont want it because these GORA coaches dont ustand what these players talk between themselves in Hindi. And coach doesnt bother much......I dont think they have any legitimate reason why they want foreign coach as such. SP or MA are good choices. Try them. Who knows they may do wonders for us. Keep it simple.

BCCI are a bunch of idiots. Why the hell did they have 2 canditates and fly them over for interviews' date=' whats that all about! You dont need these silly formal interviews, you talk informally in private..[/quote'] It's called desperation. Under normal circumstances, it's the candidate who approaches the board - not the other way around. People misconstrued Whatmore's intent to coach India as desperation, but failed to realise that he was just following normal procedure. Do companies ever approach you when you are looking for a job, or is it the other way around ? Exactly. Besides, i have my doubts over whether any foreigner would even WANT to coach India now - moreso after these pitiful events. The failure of a revered cricketing figure like Greg Chappell would undoubtedly have sent shockwaves as coaches would wonder to themselves, "wow, if he can't win with them - who will ?". Now after the rejection of a high profile candidate with immense pedigree such as Whatmore, other low-profile coaches would be dissuaded from applying. IF a guy who has won a World Cup isn't good enough, what chance do they have ? The BCCI is effectively sending out the message that it is completely clueless about what kind of coach it really wants for it's beleaguered team.

Hahahaa, this is turning into a hilarious saga. Serves the morons at BCCI right. Also a slap on the face of players who turned down Whatmore. Whatmore backers like me should be loving this. Sadly our cricket is screwed coz of all this. Whatmore after being told that our players are against him, would be hesitant to take up the position even if offered. Which could make Emburey the lone contender. God help this team!

You know what ? I'd love to see an Indian fool coach this team. Bring on Sandeep Patil, Ashok Malhotra, Sunil Gavaskar and Kapil Dev. Let's see how long they survive. I am DYING to see whether Patil will better his LAST stint as Indian coach back in '96, when he lasted for just ONE MONTH, getting kicked out after IND came back from England with their heads up their @sses. Once the Indian team hits ROCK-BOTTOM with these retards at the helm (i have absolutely no doubt in my mind about this), maybe, JUST MAYBE, people will wake the f*ck up.

Preds there are indians who can do the job! Stop knocking the great indians.
Really ? Name some. You obviously never watched IND play under the great Indians Kapil or Gaekwad, did you ? :hysterical: Well I did mate. Trust me, the team we had under GORA SCUM like Wright and Chappell was FAR BETTER than the riff-raff India were when the "great Indians" were coaching the team.

Ford did the sensible thing. If BCCI can humiliate whatmore...what is the guarentee he wouldn't be treated the same way.... Anyways...the reasons being floated around are 1)A small pay package(The slimeballs in bcci need all the money to enjoy a cushy life ....best hotels...best travel ....who has the money for coaches.ass haven't paid the players in 8 months...wonder what happens to the mullah!) 2) Only one year contract....he would probably have needed that time just learning to pronounce the names) 3)Not allowing him his own backup staff. 4)And a gag order even before he has started. To add to that ...the poor man has had to deal with the mindless media freanzy........and that would have been his life. Also has a wife who has not been keeping well for some yrs.

I have no respect left for the senile bitter Gavaskar...... I have no doubt now that he has no interest in the wellbeing of Indian cricket .He is a bitter man who can't get over the fact that his good for nothing son has not been given the chances that a mr.gavaskar's son deserves.He will scre*w up Indian cricket and walk away smiling .

Would you have quit your current job in the UK or USA and worked in India on a one year contract, even on a princely salary, uprooting your family, having to answer to slimeballs like Niranjan Shah, knowing that your current job will not be available again? Well done, Ford.

Would you have quit your current job in the UK or USA and worked in India on a one year contract, even on a princely salary, uprooting your family, having to answer to slimeballs like Niranjan Shah, knowing that your current job will not be available again? Well done, Ford.
Well, would you go for such a job interview in the first place, even if the employer called you and was willing to pay the airfare?

I have a qn.. how to dissolve this stupid n useless board.. who has the right to do? President of India?? the board has to be dissolved and all those idiotic n arrogant board officials and politicians shud b thrown out. and shud be filled with some fresh minds.... these bunch of money minded retards r ruining indian cricket.....

REAL REASON why FOrd TURNED DOWN BCCI'S OFFER. After his presentation on his way back to airport, the car Ford was travelling in stopped at a red light. While waiting for the light to turn green Ford saw a couple of people standing with a donkey. On the donkeys head was a poster " To-be-replaced by Graham Fords picture incase India loses in England and we beat the sh!t out of donkey". Well all know what happened next....

Well' date=' would you go for such a job interview in the first place, even if the employer called you and was willing to pay the airfare?[/quote'] I would if they fly me out to India & make me stay in Taj for two nites for a simple powerpoint presentation. BCCI got from Ford what they did to Whatmore, so no sympathies for them. Am sure Ford was interested in the job when he travelled. He was mighty pi$$ed on the offer with the dozen restrictions. IMO, BCCI must speak to Whatmore now (and screw the players & the retarded 5 man commision to appoint coach) & see if he's interested. If not, make an offer to Ford that he cannot refuse. If the players make anymore natak about the new coach they get Chappell. That will set them right:haha: One good thing to come out of this, is that BCCI cannot take anything for granted inspite of being the richest board on the planet. Heck even Embuery rejected this job :hysterical: If BCCI finds it so tough to hire someone, PCB has no hope in hell of hiring a foreigner:haha:

You don't have an idea how incompetent and power crazed, how deluded in their own self importance these clowns are, Bumps. Their unprofessionalism, cronyism, mutual backslapping, eleventh-hourism would put genetically modified super-babus to shame. The idea was to offer a pittance to a foreign coach, maybe around £300,000 per year, give him a one year contract, review that after every series (while their own posts remain untouched for years), blame any failures on him, and sack him if things got too hot, as it was bound to do with the mediocre and equally unprofessional bunch of players the new coach would be saddled with. And everybody knows that working in India is like an US private being posted in Iraq. Replace the suicide bombers with the constant media glare- a prominent channel ran a story in the wake of the appointment insinuating that Ford was a racist, Indian CNN-wannabe news readers immediately insisted on maiming his name by pronouncing it as Gre-haam, the 48 degree heat and dust in India would probably have cut short his life by five years, let alone his ailing wife's, and to top it all, his facial features would likely have been rearranged by local activists protesting over the non-inclusion of their beloved heroes in an unwary moment, as he walked from the team bus to a net session. Who in their right mind would take on an assignment like that?

Let's face it, this is a country that most of us dread to go back to. We visit it with trepidation in our heart every three or four years, after vaccinating kith and kin against every conceivable illness, lead an existence draped in mosquito nets for fear of being bitten by the bee sized anopheles while there, turn the AC full on to avoid waking up as a grilled aubergine in the mornings, strike the days off on the calendar and grow happier by the hour as the "vacation" draws to a close, and on the way back to the airport, count our belongings carefully to make sure the bags have not been halved in number, maybe putting the obligatory tenner in the CRY donation box to salve our conscience that we are doing our bit to kickstart the bloody place on its way to becoming a first world country, and by the way, could we place go back to our own comfortable 9-5 existence in our leafy homes in the UK or US, whil the other 1.2 billon were working at it, please? My, oh my...Ford doesn't even know how lucky he got, just there!