Emerging Players tournament, 2011

Selection

umesh yadav generally bowls at 135 range with occasional balls at 140 this is not that fast ' date='pankaj singh should have been picked as he has got many wickets in ranji though he is 5/6 k slower than yadav but on the other hand he is much taller than yadav so he will get more bounce,[/quote'] Umesh is very sharp,he's definitely not a 135k bowler.He clocks well over 140s in the FC matches.He has bowled 150k in an IPL match.He is the 2nd quickest bowler in the country behind Aaron right now.In Aussie conditions he'll average around 88mph(142kph) I reckon.That's pretty quick actually.Even Steyn averages in the high 130s(138-139k) with one or two effort balls around 144-145 range in the test matches.Lee,Tait,Akhtar,Malinga all are retired from test cricket.Among active test players only Steyn(SA),Morkel(SA),Ishant(IND),Broad(ENG),Siddle(AUS),Johnson(AUS),Wahab Riaz(PAK),Fidel(WI),Roach(WI) are considered as geniune quick bowlers.Varun & Umesh are in the same bracket in terms of Pace.But I agree with u that Pankaj with his height would've been handful in the Aussie.So Pankaj & Tyagi should've been in the team in place of Vinay & Arvind.
Yadav consistently bowled in low 140s to high 140s even in Ranji and Duleep trophy this season. He bowled up to 152k in IPL. Pankaj is pretty much like Ranadeb Boss. We need to pick potential fast bowlers' date=' not potential trundlers which we already have enough.[/quote'] Cmon, Pankaj has been a fine domestic bowler, if we cant go by domestic performances what do we do. Yadav ins his few Intl appearances- even vs Aus for BP XI last year did not look the part. His record is for a Div 2 side. In Duleep trophy he took wkts but went for runs too. Pankaj seems to have more control and variety
Yadav consistently bowled in low 140s to mid to high 140s even in Ranji and Duleep trophy this season. He bowled up to 152k in IPL. Pankaj is pretty much like Ranadeb Boss. We need to pick and develop potential fast bowlers, not potential trundlers which we already have enough. These inexperience potential quick bowlers may not give instant results because of lack of control, but they have more chances come good with time. Pankaj barely touch 130 and mostly in 125 K range
The Duleep Trohpy match that he played, he was more at 135-136 kmph with an occasional delivery touching 140. Almost the same as how he bowled during the Irani Trophy last year or during the challenger series 2010. As for your point about developing fast bowlers, well Umesh Yadav is being given plenty of chances be it for India A, Rest of India or BP X1 or during the challenger trophy. So far he has failed to grab those chances or show signs of developmet. I have a feeling Aaron is going to upstage him now and become a regular member of the senior team in 6-9 months time.
Cmon, Pankaj has been a fine domestic bowler, if we cant go by domestic performances what do we do. Yadav ins his few Intl appearances- even vs Aus for BP XI last year did not look the part. His record is for a Div 2 side. In Duleep trophy he took wkts but went for runs too. Pankaj seems to have more control and variety
There is lot of difference in domestic and international standards. I am not saying Yadav is international standards right now but with more exposure and experience he has more probability to get better because he has raw ingredients. If you go for domestic stats, Joginder Shamra is a legend with an average of 20, but you need to see long term potential. Yadav is genuinely quick and is only 23. These kind of bowlers can be expensive and wayward at the start but they are a rare commodity and we need to refine them. This is a fact in the history of cricket most of the legend fast bowlers have been genuinely quick to start with. I have seen Pankaj Singh, he is not that good, good just for domestic cricket. Yadav and Aaaron both are not yet finished article, but they have the ingredients to reach to the stage of full finishing.
The Duleep Trohpy match that he played, he was more at 135-136 kmph with an occasional delivery touching 140. Almost the same as how he bowled during the Irani Trophy last year or during the challenger series 2010. As for your point about developing fast bowlers, well Umesh Yadav is being given plenty of chances be it for India A, Rest of India or BP X1 or during the challenger trophy. So far he has failed to grab those chances or show signs of developmet. I have a feeling Aaron is going to upstage him now and become a regular member of the senior team in 6-9 months time.
Whoever from Aaron, Yadav, or Tyagi makes it to the next level first will be good for team India to create a good pool of fast bowlers. I do not have any personal preferences. To stay at no. 1, we will need pacers around and Yadav is still very young. I Just hope he learns quickly because he came on to the scene with promise and if he does not fulfill, it will be a huge disappointment for Indian team as we do not get many bowlers who can bowl at 145K. I saw challenger trophy final and he was faster than anyone in that match and had bowled up to 147K (ranging 136 Kph - 147 Kph) in that match and was beating the batsmen with pace. In IPL too, he bowled up to 152 Kph which everyone acknowledged from commentators to ICFers. It is all about getting it right. Hopefully, he will progress to the next level sooner rather than later. I want to see a quartet of Ishant Sharma , Varun Aaron, Sudeep Tyagi, and Umesh Yadav to play for India consistently and successful in the next 2 years. Two tall bowlers and 2 fast and skiddy customers.
i saw that ball but here is the thing if you are taliking about pure speed ishant clocked 152 in ipl and mithun clocked 146 but in the test series ishant fastest has been 144 and mithun 136 , even balaji clocked 144 unadkat clocked 142 vinay clocked 140 in ipl but all these bowlers barely clock 130 range in int cricket .why do u think is there such a huge difference ? i think the the ipl speed gun is too quick ? if that is the case then yadav will bowl at avg speed of 136 k at int level i have seen pankaj singh clock 130-139k in the only odi he played against sl in zim
Though I would say some times speed guns were not accurate but in that game speed guns were pretty accurate and he was looking fast by watching him, not just speed guns and I am surprised with Mithun who certainly looked faster in IPL and was also getting more bounce than what he got on this bouncy track that is mysterious. and Ishant has not gone full throttle in test. Average speed will always be low because no bowler bowls 10-15 overs over 90 mph consistently and Average speed of 136-139 is very good. It means bowler has maintained speed in a spell. But it is accuracy along with speed which makes a bowler better, not just pace or just accuracy. Need to have both.
I think the reason the likes of Vinay Kumar and Dhawan are selected is because the youngsters need some experienced veterans to guide them and help them out.Vinay may not be internationally experience but he is a veteran in domestic cricket IMo and would help the likes of Varon Arora and Yadav
WTF! Vinay Kumar's balls barely make it to the batsman one on bounce, while Dhawan can keep a 50 strong cow herd under control all by himself and these guys are there to nurture other youngsters?
WTF! Vinay Kumar's balls barely make it to the batsman one on bounce' date=' while [b']Dhawan can keep a 50 strong cow herd under control all by himself and these guys are there to nurture other youngsters?
:cantstop: The point with Dhawan is there are not too many other options insofar as openers go, he was almost a sure fire pick with Mukund and Vijay now senior bats... maybe UP's Srivastava.... I hope Rahane opens with him though
WTF! Vinay Kumar's balls barely make it to the batsman one on bounce' date=' while Dhawan can keep a 50 strong cow herd under control all by himself and these guys are there to nurture other youngsters?[/quote'] The ball may reach batsmen on the 2nd bounce but Vinay still takes bucket loads of wickets season after season and also he is the Karnataka Ranji trophy captain IIRC.So he not be international class but he certainly can be the leader of the attack for A series like these
Cmon, Pankaj has been a fine domestic bowler, if we cant go by domestic performances what do we do. Yadav ins his few Intl appearances- even vs Aus for BP XI last year did not look the part. His record is for a Div 2 side. In Duleep trophy he took wkts but went for runs too. Pankaj seems to have more control and variety
pankaj hardly swings the ball and even joginder sharma had a good domestic record. pankaj generally bowls 125k and we have enough bowlers who can bowl at that pace. this is emerging player's tournament, and i dont think this guy has the potential to be successfull at this level. we should be trying more options in pace dept.
How would the chief selector's kid got a free trip to Sydney's nightclubs?
ya you are right...the kid does not even make Tamilnadu FC team. I think selectors were in illusion of the format of the tournament. They selected team for T20. Kohli, Rohit, and VIjay would have had a good experience of playing FC matches against good A sides there as we also have tour there later this year
ya you are right...the kid does not even make Tamilnadu FC team. I think selectors were in illusion of the format of the tournament. They selected team for T20. Kohli, Rohit, and VIjay would have had a good experience of playing FC matches against good A sides there as we also have tour there later this year
I didn't watch the IPL, but Anirudha made just over 80 runs in this season's IPL, averaging 20 with a strike rate of 112. He's not even a T20 player.
I didn't watch the IPL' date=' but Anirudha made just over 80 runs in this season's IPL, averaging 20 with a strike rate of 112. He's not even a T20 player.[/quote'] he did not get to bat much..he played one good innings as an opener in the absence of Hussey though he is just a sifarishi selection...like Pakis say in their phourm....

just rad ths. Srikkanth Anirudha! :WTF: this is nothing but nepotism at it's worst. What happened to Pujara, Uday Kaul, Mandeep Singh, hell if they wanted to stick with the Chennai flavour they should sent back Murli Vijay to sort himself out. But selecting this potato is making a mockery of selections to determine India's future players.