Some Questions that come to mind....

Ram

To Graham Ford. 1) Did you explicitly express interest to the BCCI that you want to coach the Indian team or were you contacted by someone ( either a board official or a player) and asked to apply for the job? 2) "The right decision for me and my family" - What circumstances have changed in the last week ( which was when your name first came into contention) for you to suddenly invoke family and personal reasons to decline the offer ? If you had family issues , why did you come for interview in the first place ? 3) Did you notify the BCCI , knowing that they would probably prefer you to Emburey ( who was the only other candidate) , that turning up for the interview and does not mean you would end up taking the job ? 4) "I've got the County's support, but we haven't discussed an early release from my contract which, as you know, runs till September 2008". I'll begin discussions [with Kent] ... I'm sure the County won't stand in the way."- This was two days ago. What has happned in two days for you to have changed your mind? 5)"I have had a chance to reflect on the offer made by the BCCI and their urgency to fill the vacant position" -- Didnt you know earlier itself that you would be required to join the indian team NOW ? knowing that they are schduled to leave on tour to Ireland. Did you inform BCCI earlier that you wouldnt be able to join the squad at such a short notice ? To BCCI- 1) The Indian team was eliminated from the world cup more than 2 months ago. Why wasnt there a proper concerted attempt to start searching for a new coach ? Why did you wait till the first week of june to announce the short-list of candidates? 2) Was there any proper procedure followed at all ? to select the candidate for coach, or was it just some random names thrown about through cricketing contracts? 3) When and why did John Emburey come into the picture in the first place ? Did he contact you ,expressing interest for the job or was his name suggested by someone ? 4) Why was Dave Whatmore unceremoniously eliminated from the entire process without proper reasons when it was apparent that he was the front-runner for the majority of the period 5)"I have had a chance to reflect on the offer made by the BCCI" =- So If the decision to turn down the coaching assignment was made by Ford AFTER the offer was made , did you make any attempts to re-negotiate any terms ? 6) Why was there an assumption in the first place that Ford would accept ANY offer that was made to him ? Was there a plan B , in case he turned down the offer, as he has now. To me -- 1) Why have you been such a fool and followed a game as it were your life when its run by a bunch of fools who have no idea was the term Professionalism means? 2) Why did you spend the last decade of your life , bunking classes , flunking exams , watching a team that invariably leaves you feeling like a jackass ? 3) why did you keep the alarm to get up at 4 A.M in the morning to watch your team play in N.Z , only too see them lose , time and again ? 4) Finally , why do you even watch this game ? DAMN !!!!

Very valid questions and a lot of unanswered ones. BCCI and Ford, both have stuffed up. I think both are going to lose in the long run but the game will go on as ever. Two months down the lane none will even want to know who is "Ford".

To me -- 1) Why have you been such a fool and followed a game as it were your life when its run by a bunch of fools who have no idea was the term Professionalism means? 2) Why did you spend the last decade of your life , bunking classes , flunking exams , watching a team that invariably leaves you feeling like a jackass ? 3) why did you keep the alarm to get up at 4 A.M in the morning to watch your team play in N.Z , only too see them lose , time and again ? 4) Finally , why do you even watch this game ? DAMN !!!!
:sad_smile: at times there has been a mutual feeling across the border.

I dont understand what Ford is upto... He takes part in the race , comes , does the presentation, gets selected and then says NO. I doubt if there were monetary reasons for his refusal. If it were personel and family ones , then i say -- What changed in the last 48 hours Mr.Ford ?

To me -- 1) Why have you been such a fool and followed a game as it were your life when its run by a bunch of fools who have no idea was the term Professionalism means? 2) Why did you spend the last decade of your life , bunking classes , flunking exams , watching a team that invariably leaves you feeling like a jackass ? 3) why did you keep the alarm to get up at 4 A.M in the morning to watch your team play in N.Z , only too see them lose , time and again ? 4) Finally , why do you even watch this game ? DAMN !!!!
Brilliant! Join the club, Sriram!:adore:

BCCI is known for it's un professional ways and what they have done comes as no surprise..... But Ford was known to be a professional....... He is smart to have declined the job under the conditions laid out by the board.But i think he has been guilty of unprofessional behaviour here.I thnk he did make people believe that he was taking up the job.If not he should have mentioned that .Now people should think twice before they call him again. I personally think he could have got a much better deal from thre BCCI if he had the ability to negotiate better.Considering that BCCI was desperate and did not want emburey....he just missed a good chance.I am sure if he had stood his ground he would have got most of what he wanted. As for family problems....they were not unknown to him earlier.

Great OP there mm. To me it appears that the bigshots of the BCCI have pissed off Ford and hence he declined. Most of the issues like family, leaving kent, dhondy's pet issue - temperature in third world india, etc were known to ford before. What he didn't know I am sure was that he will be offered just a one year contract (which we know of) with possibly some unacceptable terms (that we don't know about). I wouldn't blame someone for not wanting to take up a job moving himself and his family just for one year.