Funny moments in cricket.

Donny

Can you imagine Steve Bucknor asking a batsman, "Did you hit that?" icon_biggrin.gif --------------------------------------------------------------------- It's a difficult job when you have to umpire in a game you're also playing in. You have to adjudicate on appeals against your own batsmen. In one of these games, a bloke I'd known for many years - a farmer and as honest as the day is long - was umpiring when the batsman played at a ball on his off stump line. I was at first slip. Those of us around the bat were fairly sure the batsman had nicked it to the keeper. A big appeal went up. He stood his ground and looked towards the umpy with a somewhat guilty glance. The umpy looked a bit puzzled and asked of the batsman, "Did you hit that, mate?" Putting on his best innocent look, he answered, "No, mate. It hit my pad" "Well, you're out, l.b.w." icon_lol.gif It's a story I've told at a couple of cricket dinners and it always get a big laugh. Let's hear yours.

lol rofl Donny that was good one.. umpiring @ its comical best... anywayz, once i was having a game, i was batting, the bowler bowled the delivery and i smashed the ball towards the stumps on the non strikers end.. the ball hit the stumpz and the shot was so fast that the bailz of the stump hit the in the groin of the umpire.. umpire started shivering and jumping.. we didn't really know why umpire was jumping and all, l8r before the bowler was going for run up to bowl next delivery, he told us that he got hit under the groin... and hence needed some rest.. he went out in the middle of the over.. it surely was a moment we shouldn't have laughed but the oppositions also couldn't resist and started laughing as he went, and offcourse i thought i won the match.. bulls eye...

In my college days we would often travel to other cities in Inter-college tournament. The first such trip was to Ranchi (more famous these days as land of Dhoni). We had our own college bus dedicated for the travel so 15 of us had a fantastic time on the way to Ranchi. Then when we reached there we put our stuff in local hostel where our stay was arranged and off we went looking for food. Outside the college where we were playing was this dhabba (motel by side of Highways in India popular for great food). So we had good food, some of the boys had good dose of local hard drinks and before you knew we were in our room knocked for good. In the morning our game started at 8 am. But of course we all got up later than that. As soon as one person was up he managed to wake the others and we ran to the ground, not so much as thrown water on our faces. Looking half-drunk we were lucky to be on the pitch at 8:30, just in time or else we would have forfieted the match. Anyway we lost the toss and had to bowl. So here is our lead pacer taking the new ball, marking his run-up. I am standing at mid-on. He starts his run, and I am sort of imagining his next move, how he would jump in air and recoil his back..Instead he continues to run, runs past the batsman, wicket-keeper and third man. It was only when he was past the boundary that he put up his tiny finger suggesting he had to rush to answer the call of nature...not sure if that was what did the trick but suddenly we all had a feeling we needed a bathroom break too. An interesting thing I realized that day is that it is impossible to bowl as fast as you can if you have not well you know. Put it simply as - you can not run hard or have a nice jump..if earlier you did not have a nice dump. xxx

abs hilarious @ Donny,Cricketics and Lurker.. This was in my school days.. I , along with 7-8 of my other friends went to a local all purpose ground in our area. Technically , it was a football ground , but at any point of time you can find a 100 people playing cricket in it. Because of we were a bunch of 8 or 9 always , we would look for similar sized groups in the ground to be our opposition team. That day, it happened to some blokes from the nearby slum. We generally were little apprehensive about playing against these guys coz they were known to be a little rough. However , that day we went ahead and played the match We batted first . One of our batsman was playing and there was an lbw appeal. The umpire ( who was the spare guy from their team ) gave the batsman out. Now , our man in contention was the non-striker.He was a heavy-headed kid , a rich one at that too... ( a future IIT-ian i might add). I dont know what he was thinking , but he turned to the umpire and told him - " If i give you 10 rupees , will you change the decision?" . The umpiring guy was so infuriated at this and shouted back -" Do you think we play for money" and went on give our man one big slap in the face !! The rest of us who were watching it on the side-lines were first shocked to see our friend slapped , but couldnt control our laughter at what actually happened. We were probably speaking about this issue for another week i think... :haha:

That was funny Donny, Lurker and the rest. I have one from my last season. I'm an opener but opted to bat at no.6 as one of our mates had to rush to a marriage party. He only lasted a single ball at the top to make matters worse for us anyways. Now when my turn came to bat I found myself ultra aggressive. I was smacking the ball all over the park simply because the ball was doing nothing. I was so used to batting in swinging and seaming conditions at the top I was feeling great knocking off fours every other ball. With my new found aggression I went to my cursory back foot and tried to tickle one on the off and middle down to leg and missed the line completely. The ball hit the pad right in front and I thought I was a goner. I was even ready to walk. Then the miracle happened. The umpire had slid his hands into jacket pocket and when the fielders and the bowlers went up I could see he was pulling his hand out for obvious reason. To give me out. It was a pretty windy day and with the southerly blowing hard it was quite cold. The umpire struggled to pull his hand out of the pocket :tounge_smile: After about 10-15 seconds of struggle to pull his hand out he just turned his face away with embarrassment. Guess what? He didn't give me out. The fielders, the bowler and even the non striker could see the funny side of things. The keeper and the slips were going "Come on mate, pull it out we can see ya giving out" but the umpire's hand was struck in his pockets. Despite all his efforts he couldn't pull his right hand out of the pocket :haha: I inquired the umpire between overs why he couldn't use the other hand he said he was predominantly right handed and his left hand was hanging on to the bowler's jumper so couldn't pull it up in time. He did confirm he wanted to give me out but his hand was struck in his pocket. A good god fearing Christian he was he mentioned "God came in the way giving you out" and asked me to enjoy my batting. Enjoy my batting I did , scoring 60 odd runs before I was run out. Luck comes in a lot of forms and for me that day it came in the form of a hand struck in the jacket pocket :thumbs_up: :hysterical:

Towards the end of a game that we had well in hand, I gave my keeper, John Burchell, a bowl. This bloke was a real wag, a cricket veteran and a very funny character. After his first over, he wandered up the pitch to take back the gloves from me. I had enjoyed keeping so much, I said, "No, mate, bowlers rest at fine leg" He wandered off mumbling something about me dropping a catch. The last ball of the over was top edged hook towards fine leg and really steepled. It was in the air so long that Burchy got under it, spat on both hands, smacked them together a couple of times, got down on one knee and was commenting how, "These ones are really easy" when the ball came down, went straight through his hands and hit him in the groin. Still makes me chuckle every time I think of it. :regular_smile:

One of our team-mates had brought his new girlfriend to a game. It was extremely hot and she had soon stripped down to a fairly small bikini. She was not quite Pam Anderson but similarly built. During the lunch break she was looking at all the gear in our kit and picked up two boxes. Holding one in each hand, she held them up and said, "What are these for?" She happened to be holding them in such a way that they obscured her skimpy bikini top. Of course, everyone just cracked up - with her just standing there, wondering what the hell she'd said that was so damn funny.

In the very early days of our winter comp. we used to let the women throw the ball instead of bowling if they couldn't bowl correctly. One of the women in my team was learning to bowl at practice but still had quite a Murali type of delivery. She was extremely accurate so I opened with my only fast bowler and she had second over. She began with 3 nervous wides and the burly opening bat was cacking himself laughing, with comments like, "Looks like you should've stuck to netball, luv" and "Did anyone tell ya luv, ya sposed to aim at these things here?" pointing to the stumps. When a 4th. wide went way down the leg side, he couldn't resist and walked up the wicket towards her. "Look luv. I'll show you what to do" She was a fairly volatile sort of person and didn't tolerate being given unrequested advice and said, "No thanks. I'll be right" Well, they weren't exactly the words but the batsman got the drift. She was clearly stirred up as she went back to an exaggerated long run up. "Ooooo off the long run up are we, luv?" chortled the batsman. She came in and bowled (chucked) a ripper right on middle. He played a forward defence and completely missed it. Out. Bowled !! His walk back to the beer tent and his loudly jeering mates was probably one of the longest, lonliest walks he ever had. icon_lol.gif

hahaha ! A similar incident has happened in world cricket too Donny. During the quarterfinals of a tournament called 1996 world cup, a certain Aamir Sohail hit a certain Venkatesh Prasad for a boundary in an area from where the fielder was just removed. He then b*****shed his in that direction as if to suggest - " I can hit you wherever i want ! " Next ball , he tried the same shot , only to see his off-stump go for a late evening stroll ! Sohail's walk back to the pavilion wasnt lonely though. There were around 40,000 people giving him a fitting "send-off"..

I've come up against some real characters in my cricketing days. This bloke's name was Will, a blacksmith and draughthorse trainer. Not really a cricketer but he'd said he'd give it a go. He was late for our first game. We had formed a cricket club and invited a team from a couple of valleys away. Halfway into the second over, a very noisy Land Rover came roaring down the road in a cloud of dust. It screeched to a halt and out jumped Will wearing a vaguely white shirt, a ratty straw hat and a pair of jeans - no shoes. (picture Jethro from the Beverly Hillbillies) He ran straight on to the field carrying an esky, a beach umbrella and a deck chair. :regular_smile: "Where do ya want me, skip ?" he yelled. "Fine leg" says I. "Where the hell is that ?" he returned. I pointed towards the fine leg boundary. He ran to the spot, unfolded the deck chair, screwed the umbrella into the ground, cracked open a beer, plonked himself in the chair and yelled back, "Ok, skip, I'm right" He wasn't all that impressed when I told him where fine leg was for the next over. :wink_smile: