$54 Million Pant Suit

Rajiv

Judge's $54-million pant suit goes to court pant-sue070612.jpg :haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha: A judge was in a Washington, D.C., court Tuesday, this time in the role of plaintiff in a $54-million US lawsuit against a dry cleaner who allegedly lost his pants. Roy Pearson alleges that Jin Chung, Soo Chung and Ki Chung, owners of Custom Cleaners, committed fraud and misled consumers with signs that claimed "Satisfaction Guaranteed." A woman holds up the pair of pants at the centre of the trial. (CBC) While the Chungs' lawyer argues no reasonable person would take that as an absolute guarantee, Pearson did, and set the price of his satisfaction at $67 million, although he has since lowered it to $54 million. "This case is very simple. It's about one sign and the plaintiff's outlandish interpretation," said Chris Manning, the lawyer representing the Chungs. Pearson is representing himself, claiming the millions for, among other things, mental distress. In the two years since the Chungs lost his pants, he's forwarded a number of legal motions. He has refused to accept that the pants they eventually produced are his, and he's refused a $12,000 settlement offer. Continue Article Pearson said in his opening statement Tuesday that he wanted to examine the culture that allowed "a group of defendants to engage in bad business practices for five years." He called several witnesses who testified that the Chung family was rude and sloppy — with one elderly customer even comparing them to Hitler. Called himself as witness Pearson also called himself as a witness, saying his problems began in May 2005 when he brought in several suits for alterations. A pair of pants from a blue and maroon suit was missing when he requested it two days later. He said Soo Chung tried to give him a pair of charcoal grey pants. As Pearson explained that those weren't the pants for the suit, he choked up and left the courtroom crying after asking the judge for a break. Despite Tuesday's testimony, customers at the strip mall where the Chungs dry clean clothes had only sympathy for the family "They haven't did anything to me, and I do put my clothes there," said one customer. "And they do do good service. Fifty-four million dollars? Outrageous." "All that money, when you can go to the store and get another pair of slacks for $25, $30? Unbelievable," said another customer. Josh Kosla, owner of the Big Valu Liquor store next door, said the case should terrify any small business owner. "I mean, you get scared. The first thing I did was I went to my insurance people: 'Hey, look, am I protected, am I safe?'" The Chungs make their case Wednesday.

A woman holds up the pair of pants at the centre of the trial. (CBC) While the Chungs' lawyer argues no reasonable person would take that as an absolute guarantee, Pearson did, and set the price of his satisfaction at $67 million, although he has since lowered it to $54 million.
Wow Mr.Pearson is very generous here, he dropped about $13 million for a lost pant. I think he is a great fella :hysterical:

Ridiculous. This is what prompts all those frivolous law-suits. It is freaking amazing how little common sense people have. In this case the gentleman lost a 100$(or less) pants in 2005 and not ready to settle for a cash settlement of 12,000 $!! Thats like 120 times the return in less than 2 years! Take that Microsoft! I think it should be the laundry wallahs that should sue this judge's arse for harrasment.

This is america we are talking about folks....their national anthem should be 'I'll sueee'. Remember,this is the same facking place where the law allows you to sue the company for damages in millions of dollars if you spill coffee on yourself and burn yourself. Or if you are a 500 pound tub of lard coz you ate Big Mac and fries twice a day every day, its McDonald's fault and you get $$ from sueing them.

This is america we are talking about folks....their national anthem should be 'I'll sueee'. Remember,this is the same facking place where the law allows you to sue the company for damages in millions of dollars if you spill coffee on yourself and burn yourself. Or if you are a 500 pound tub of lard coz you ate Big Mac and fries twice a day every day, its McDonald's fault and you get $$ from sueing them.
I hope you realize that the left wing Democrats have encouraged this kind of bullsh.it. Why do you think trial lawyer lobby pumps in so much money into left wing parties. Heck , these ambulance chasers routinely use their lobby including ACLU to block legislation against civil damages. And invariably these judges who will not toss out these frivolous law suits will be appointed by Democrat Leadership. I am not saying republican leadership should be absolved of any wrongdoings here. But , what I have noticed is , whenever their is an effort to stop such frivolous lawsuits by Republican Administration , the democrats in the house and senate will not co-operate because of the trial lawyer lobby and other special interests.Case in point , the Medical Liability Cap which Bush wanted to introduce because Lawyers like John Edwards(Now Presidential candidate) made millions using junk science by suing OBGYN doctors. BTW, most of these judges themselves have been trial lawyers who benefited by this flawed system. So , why will they discourage such law suits. I am telling you mate , Doctors in US just hate these trial lawyers. They have to pay obscene amount of money just for Insurance to protect themselves from such frivolous lawsuits.I am sure Dhondy can also confirm about this. My only other problem with these ridiculous judicial system in USA is the fact that justices are immune from civil lawsuit. If a brain surgeon can be sued for making a honest mistake, why shouldn't a judge be sued for a blatantly biased decision or a lawyer for being blatantly incompetent which resulted in conviction. They use the excuse of judicial independence for their immunity but the question is should they be given one. Otherwise , we will continue to see the judicial abuse like the Bush-Gore supreme court case , wherein the liberals sided with Gore and conservatives sided with Bush for a 5-4 victory to prevent the Florida recount. And the same recount was initiated because Florida supreme court justices voted unanimously(9-0) in favor of recount and all of them were Democrat appointees. Just few weeks ago , the partial birth ban was upheld by supreme court courtesy Samuel Alito (Bust appointee who replace Sandra O Connor)being the swing vote for 5-4 victory for the conservatives in the court. I think the time has come to hold these judges and lawyers accountable.

I hope you realize that the left wing Democrats have encouraged this kind of bullsh.it.
Probably...but so what ? I despise the US politics anyways- either party ! Only exception would be Clinton. The Dems maybe better than the republicans in my books only and only coz the dems arnt stupid Christian nutters or funded by KKK types as the Republican retards are. Trust me, the day American empire ends and American economy goes tits-up, i will be a happy man indeed! ( it will - it is only a matter of time...a country with over a trillion dollar national debt is standing at the precipice of collapse- especially when their debt keeps getting bigger and bigger, plus the dollar is sinking and losing the fight to the Euro)