Sehwag... nobody seems to care.. Surprise.. surprise !!

Ram

Sehwag should have been in the tEst team for sure. Without Sehwag, our top order is very sedate and so is the middle order. We needed that someone to take the attack to the opposition. Many people are mixing ODI and Tests. Sehwag in tests is more dangerous and an important part of our Test team setup.

Openers often go through very lean patches. The new ball is very unforgiving, and players do lose their confidence. Remember the horrid patch Hayden went through a year ago? He couldn't buy a run if his life depended on it. Speculative articles cropped up like toadstools all over the world about how the chop was imminent. It never came. Hayden got over his lean patch and returned to fearsome form. The confidence returned and flowed. Australia is not the only team to stand by its stalwarts. South Africa's Graeme Smith and Andrew De Villiers suffered terrible dips in form. They were persisted with. England are doing the same with Andrew Strauss. Point is, batsmen like Sehwag don't come along very often. He's fearless, has a fantastic eye and backs himself. He averages 50 at the very highest level of cricket over 50 Tests. That didn't happen by chance. He is a very special batsman. If you believe in somebody like that, you back him through lean times. Odds are, he'll come out on the other side of it an even stronger player. He wasn't given the chance. The English bowlers won't be complaining. There's not a single bowler who walks this earth who would mind bowling to Dinesh Kartick in Sehwag's breach. The other point I wanted to make is that India's top six are very similar- dour batsmen who persevere, but struggle to dominate attacks. They have got rid of the one batsman who could. Cricket just isn't the same for me any more.

What a bummer of a selection move this one is.

The other point I wanted to make is that India's top six are very similar- dour batsmen who persevere, but struggle to dominate attacks. They have got rid of the one batsman who could.
This is the KEY for me, more than Sehwag's stats. India ascended to new levels in test cricket MAINLY because of the explosive starts it got from Sehwag. Within the first few hours, Sehwag routinely took the game away from the opponents, often laying the foundation for a BIG first innings total. And given our mentally fragile middle order (barring Dravid), a big & momentum filled start is all the more important. I dont want to write off Karthik as he did well in the limited opportunities he's had as an opener, but by denying ourselves a "Sehwag" option, we have shot ourselves on our foot even before the tour has begun. I wouldnt mind if Jaffar twists his knee between now & the beginning of the tour :-)
Openers often go through very lean patches. The new ball is very unforgiving, and players do lose their confidence. Remember the horrid patch Hayden went through a year ago? He couldn't buy a run if his life depended on it. Speculative articles cropped up like toadstools all over the world about how the chop was imminent. It never came. Hayden got over his lean patch and returned to fearsome form. The confidence returned and flowed. Australia is not the only team to stand by its stalwarts. South Africa's Graeme Smith and Andrew De Villiers suffered terrible dips in form. They were persisted with. England are doing the same with Andrew Strauss. Point is, batsmen like Sehwag don't come along very often. He's fearless, has a fantastic eye and backs himself. He averages 50 at the very highest level of cricket over 50 Tests. That didn't happen by chance. He is a very special batsman. If you believe in somebody like that, you back him through lean times. Odds are, he'll come out on the other side of it an even stronger player. He wasn't given the chance. The English bowlers won't be complaining. There's not a single bowler who walks this earth who would mind bowling to Dinesh Kartick in Sehwag's breach. The other point I wanted to make is that India's top six are very similar- dour batsmen who persevere, but struggle to dominate attacks. They have got rid of the one batsman who could. Cricket just isn't the same for me any more.
Well said. Sehwag is India's best Test batsman alongside Dravid. One below average season doesn't change that. But that is okay...let the gullible fools have their way. Once they see Dinesh Karthik being eaten alive for breakfast by Harmison and Hoggard, they will be clamouring for Sehwag.