Why it's all Downhill since April...

I had a T20 match on Friday (we lost by 10 wickets). The post-match drinking session/discussion brought to light a fact, sad but true. What happened on April 2nd 2011, is the GREATEST thing we will EVER witness for our Indian team, we will never enjoy anything equally or more, as long as we live. Even if we win every World cup from here on. (In fact, probably especially if we win every World cup from here on). Winning it after 28 years of hurt and waiting (coming so close 8 years earlier, and blowing it so badly 4 years after that). Being the first team ever to win it at home. Winning it in the area that suffered such a devastating crisis recently. Beating every previous winner. The Sachin story. All that adds up to my conclusion. On the optimistic side, I suppose we can all say we were alive to see our greatest day!...

You sure about that? Winning a WC away from home esp in Aus (it may not happen' date=' but...) will be more epic than 2011 at least in my opinion.[/quote'] If that happened, it would be epic. I don't think it would equal/surpass this year though. (Besides, our first World Cup win was away from home!)...

Let me add a few scenarios which will feel quite good, if not better... 1. India beating Aus in Aus later this year becoming the first sub-continent team ever to beat Aus in Aus in a Test series. 2. Retaining world cup title in 2015. The beauty about sports is that it looks things can't get any better or worse and after a few months perspectives change.

Its other way around for me, though we won world cup. I still want to see India dominate other teams like Australia or WI of past did. We're yet to win series in SA, Australia. World cup win in Australia/NZ would mean a lot more(if we do win that one) than this win.

Let me add a few scenarios which will feel quite good, if not better... 1. India beating Aus in Aus later this year becoming the first sub-continent team ever to beat Aus in Aus in a Test series. 2. Retaining world cup title in 2015. The beauty about sports is that it looks things can't get any better or worse and after a few months perspectives change.
1. The Australian side is pants, it'll be fun if we beat them, but it's not the great side it was. We're expected to win there. Even if it was the Steve Waugh side, I'd still rank the CWC 2011 win as greater, but then that's the purpose of this thread, that's my opinion, and it's good to see others'. 2. Again, awesome, and would give bragging rights over everyone except Australia in terms of World Cup history, BUT I reckon it wouldn't be celebrated as hard as this one gone.
Its other way around for me' date=' though we won world cup. I still want to see India dominate other teams like Australia or WI of past did. We're yet to win series in SA, Australia. World cup win in Australia/NZ would mean a lot more(if we do win that one) than this win.[/quote'] We won both Test & ODI series in our last visit to NZ, We won the ODI series v OZ in OZ in 2007/2008 We won the World T20 in South Africa, and reached the final of the proper World cup there...
I had a T20 match on Friday (we lost by 10 wickets). The post-match drinking session/discussion brought to light a fact, sad but true. What happened on April 2nd 2011, is the GREATEST thing we will EVER witness for our Indian team, we will never enjoy anything equally or more, as long as we live. Even if we win every World cup from here on. (In fact, probably especially if we win every World cup from here on). Winning it after 28 years of hurt and waiting (coming so close 8 years earlier, and blowing it so badly 4 years after that). Being the first team ever to win it at home. Winning it in the area that suffered such a devastating crisis recently. Beating every previous winner. The Sachin story. All that adds up to my conclusion. On the optimistic side, I suppose we can all say we were alive to see our greatest day!...
Also beating West Indies, Australia, Pakistan, Sri Lanka - all the previous champions on our way to victory. :icflove: Maybe winning the next World Cup can come close and also winning a test series in Australia or South Africa. But you are right. World Cup 2011 win is the greatest achievement as far as I'm concerned.
1. The Australian side is pants' date= it'll be fun if we beat them, but it's not the great side it was. We're expected to win there. Even if it was the Steve Waugh side, I'd still rank the CWC 2011 win as greater, but then that's the purpose of this thread, that's my opinion, and it's good to see others'. 2. Again, awesome, and would give bragging rights over everyone except Australia in terms of World Cup history, BUT I reckon it wouldn't be celebrated as hard as this one gone.
I don't think we are 'expected" to beat Aus in Aus and it would be a great achievement if we manage to do so. To put things in perspective we have won 2 world cups, 1 T20 Cup, 1 Champions Trophy and World Championship of Cricket but have yet to win a series in Aus. The series win may not be better than the world cup but would be quite close. Winning Test series in Aus and SA are as big as winning a world cup in my book at the moment, and it doesn't matter how strong a team is at the moment. E.g., India in 90s was pants but Aus still were not able to beat us even though they were the best team in the world. Same is the case with us. Doesn't matter how weak Aus or SA teams are but we have to win a series in those countries and I would celebrate those wins with as much gutso as I celebrated the WC win. Eng series win would be nice but wouldn't hold that much significance, even though Eng is a better team than Aus, just because India has beaten Eng in Eng before so it won't be a novelty.

I don't know may be it varies with people's perspective. To me it is always the journey that is more exciting than the end itself. For example I used to enjoy Sachin's performances a LOT more when there was still debate about whether he was the best batsman of the modern era(1994-2001). Once he had undisputedly established that i kind of stopped following each and every delivery he plays(not that I wasn't a fan). Similarly I somehow had the feeling that out team would win it this time...we had been so dominant at home. I will doubtlessly feel more happy if we achieve the same with a younger team, not to mention tests where most our team will contain newbies. If the team achieves something worthwhile it would definitely surpass April 2nd 2011 for me.

We won both Test & ODI series in our last visit to NZ, We won the ODI series v OZ in OZ in 2007/2008 We won the World T20 in South Africa, and reached the final of the proper World cup there...
Well it depends actually, you might be watching cricket from the 90s so you're quite content with the current success we've got. But like I said I'd like to see India dominate, win test series everywhere, beating Australia in Australia would be special given last time how we lost and sydney fiasco. And even though we're no.1 we couldn't beat SA in SA although we dominated in 2 of the 3 tests.

Winning a World Cup anywhere, in any conditions is difficult regardless if you are the home team or "have" the right team for certain conditions, especially a World Cup that involves the winning team to win three knockout games on the trot, that's where I think '96 and '11 were the most difficult to win. There are plenty of uphill milestones to achieve, especially in the non-title winning sense, like seeing young players showing the capability to replace the likes of Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman, Zaheer, Kumble etc. Though I would consider winning every Test series home and away simultaneously as one the greatest achievement. Has that ever happened?, I am not sure even the great Windies side achieved this?

I don't think we are 'expected" to beat Aus in Aus and it would be a great achievement if we manage to do so. To put things in perspective we have won 2 world cups, 1 T20 Cup, 1 Champions Trophy and World Championship of Cricket but have yet to win a series in Aus. The series win may not be better than the world cup but would be quite close. Winning Test series in Aus and SA are as big as winning a world cup in my book at the moment, and it doesn't matter how strong a team is at the moment. E.g., India in 90s was pants but Aus still were not able to beat us even though they were the best team in the world. Same is the case with us. Doesn't matter how weak Aus or SA teams are but we have to win a series in those countries and I would celebrate those wins with as much gutso as I celebrated the WC win. Eng series win would be nice but wouldn't hold that much significance, even though Eng is a better team than Aus, just because India has beaten Eng in Eng before so it won't be a novelty.
I'm the most pessimistic guy ever, every trip we've made to Australia, I've expected a hammering. The last time, we were robbed by the worst umpiring I've seen to date, and lost narrowly, the time before, we got a draw. This time, I expect us to win, and will be disappointed by anything less. I know I'm not the only Indian who feels this way. (By the way, I expect India to lose the Test series in England)...

Ofcourse its gonna be all downhill after that. After what happened in 07 28 years of waiting Tendulkars last wc. Wc final in my hometown. I was there in the stadium. Team members carrying sachin on their shoulders for a victory lap.. Goddy crying with happiness.. All in front of my eyes .. The mayhem on mumbai streets after the game... You tell me... Can this be topped?

Ofcourse its gonna be all downhill after that. After what happened in 07 28 years of waiting Tendulkars last wc. Wc final in my hometown. I was there in the stadium. Team members carrying sachin on their shoulders for a victory lap.. Goddy crying with happiness.. All in front of my eyes .. The mayhem on mumbai streets after the game... You tell me... Can this be topped?
Well I was over 4,000 miles away, watching on TV. For you, it would've been even more mind-blowing! Even if you took your presence out of it, it still couldn't be topped!...
Well one way it could be topped is if our teams starts sucking ass for lets the next 30 years' date=' and then we win another one. :dontknow:[/quote'] Hahahahahaha, yes, BUT, it won't be the first one at home, or away from home, and there will never be another player like Sachin, for us to want to win it for, playing in his 6th World Cup! HOWEVER, for people like my daughter, who won't remember this (16 months old at time of victory), your scenario would be their best victory ever...