All time XI by country

To continue my all time XI thread, I started to one by country..post your own: England:

1. Hobbs
  2. Hutton
  3. Hammond
  4. Compton
  5. Barrington
  6. Ames (+)
  7. Botham
  8. Trueman
  9. Bedser
  10. Barnes
  11. Laker

Australia:

1. Ponsford
  2. Morris
  3. Bradman
  4. Chappell
  5. Waugh
  6. Miller
  7. Gilchrist (+)
  8. Warne
  9. Davidson
  10. Lillee
  11. McGrath

India:

1. Gavaskar
  2. Merchant
  3. Dravid
  4. Tendulkar
  5. Hazare
  6. Vengsarkar
  7. Kirmani (+)
  8. Dev
  9. Nissar
  10. Amar Singh
  11. Gupte

West Indies:

1. Hunte
  2. Greenidge
  3. Richards
  4. Headley
  5. Lara
  6. Sobers
  7. Alexander (+)
  8. Marshall
  9. Holding
  10. Roberts
  11. Ambrose

Pakistan:

1. Anwar
  2. Hanif
  3. Abbas
  4. Inzamam
  5. Miandad
  6. Khan
  7. Bari (+)
  8. Akram
  9. Younis
  10. Fazal
  11. Akhtar

I did not do SL as they have not been around for long, and did not do SA as they were out of cricket for a while during what was arguably their golden period (though guys like Graeme Pollock and Barry Richards were undoubtedly class, and Donald is one of my favorite bowlers of all time).

England: Gooch Boycott Hutton Cowdrey© Barrington Knott(+) Botham Bedser Trueman Laker Tyson Australia: Same as your's but Langer in & Ponsford out. India: Gavaskar Mankad Dravid Tendulkar Hazare GRV Kapil Kirmani(+) Kumble(home)/Chandra(away) Srinath Nissar WI: Hunte Haynes Richards Lara Lloyd © Sobers Murray(+) Marshall Holding Ambrose Gibbs Pakistan: Hanif Anwar Majid Khan Miandad Inzamam Khan© Imitaz Ahmed(+) Wasim Waqar Fazal Saqlain

i will never put an all time eleven ' date=' coz i think the concept in iself is flawed.[/quote'] :damnmate::damnmate: My XI's: India XI Sunil Gavaskar Vijay Merchant Rahul Dravid Sachin Tendulkar Mohinder Amarnath Gundappa Vishwanath Kapil Dev Syed Kirmani(wk) Amar Singh Srinath Anil Kumble. XII man - Azharuddin. Pakistan XI Hanif Mohammed Saeed Anwar Zaheer Abbas Javed Miandad Inzamam Imran Khan Wasim Bari(wk) Akram Waqar Fazal Mehmood Saqlain Mushtaq XII man - Shoaib Mohammed. Australian XI Arthur Morris Bill Ponsford Don Bradman Ricky Ponting Greg Chappell Steve Waugh Keith Miller Adam Gilchrist(2k) Shane Warne Ray Lindwall Dennis Lillee XII man - Andrew Symonds West Indies XI: Gordon Greenidge Conrad Hunte George Headley Viv Richards Gary Sobers Frank Worrell Jeff Dujon(wk) Marshall Holding Wes Hall Curtley Ambrose. XII man - Logie. South African XI Barry Richards Eddie Barlow Graeme Pollock Jacques Kallis HH Gibbs Dudley Nourse Mike Procter Shaun Pollock Mark Boucher(wk) Alan Donald Huge Tayfield XII man - Colin Bland England XI Jack Hobbs Len Hutton Dennis Compton Wally Hammond Kenny Barrington Kevin Pietersen Ian Botham Alan Knott(wk) Fred Trueman Frank Tyson Jim Laker XII man - Derek Randle. xxxx

Good XI, but a couple quibbles. Symonds certainly does not deserve to be in an all time Test XI. By any imaginable standard, there've been lots of better players than him even in the last ten years, let alone 120 years. Also, KP might one day make it, but I can't see it yet. Good choices though, I'm having fun reading through them. :)

I disagree with your XI, MP. Miandad i don't think is cut out to be a #3- he wasnt particularly comfortable against the new ball. He was an excellent player of spin and swing and he is a grafter-type...so he should be #4-5 or so. Pakistan lacks a bona-fide #3...and i think best fit for the job is Majid Khan... Zaheer was too fragile against fast bowling for me to take him into the alltime XI, considering he'd be facing fast bowling of highest callibre against almost all alltime XIs. Malik is a very good case but again, i can't make much room for him...he too was a middle/lower-middle order bat...and his competition is miandad & inzy.

PAK 11 1- Hunaif 2- Saeed 3- Miandad 4- Inzamam 5- Salim Malik/Zaheer/Yousuf 6- I Khan 7- Imtiaz 8- Wasim 9- Waqar 10- F Mahmood/Shoaib 11- Saqlain/ A Qadir
MP. One person which I think you have missed is Asif Iqbal(for the record I missed him too). If I had to pick a batsman between Malik/YY/Asif Iqbal/Zaheer Abbas I daresay I would go with Asif Iqbal. Sure he may not be as attractive as others but the man delivered more than the rest of them put together, specially when the chips were down. Plus his medium pace bowling is always an assett. Not that you would really need an extra hand with Imran-Wasim-Waqar-Fazal-Saqlain. xxx
I would choose Salim Malik over Inzamam-ul-Haq in the middle order without batting an eyelid. No way is Inzamam a better batsman than Salim Malik. PS: Talking test cricket here.
Inzamam has been one of my favorite players, and I do think he has probably been one of the most underrated batsman of the last decade. I would definitely take him over Salim Malik. I wrote an article while back as a farewell to Inzy that touches on some of the reasons (you can find that here.)
I disagree with your XI, MP. Miandad i don't think is cut out to be a #3- he wasnt particularly comfortable against the new ball. He was an excellent player of spin and swing and he is a grafter-type...so he should be #4-5 or so. Pakistan lacks a bona-fide #3...and i think best fit for the job is Majid Khan... Zaheer was too fragile against fast bowling for me to take him into the alltime XI, considering he'd be facing fast bowling of highest callibre against almost all alltime XIs. Malik is a very good case but again, i can't make much room for him...he too was a middle/lower-middle order bat...and his competition is miandad & inzy.
Well if you are going to look it at way then surely Younis Khan has to be a very strong contender, i'll certainly take him over Majid Khan.
Inzamam has been one of my favorite players' date=' and I do think he has probably been one of the most underrated batsman of the last decade. I would definitely take him over Salim Malik. I wrote an article while back as a farewell to Inzy that touches on some of the reasons (you can find that here.)
excellent article SS, you covered everything that i wanted to say. Right from the start of his career he played one memorable innings after another...truly a great batsman.
MP. One person which I think you have missed is Asif Iqbal(for the record I missed him too). If I had to pick a batsman between Malik/YY/Asif Iqbal/Zaheer Abbas I daresay I would go with Asif Iqbal. Sure he may not be as attractive as others but the man delivered more than the rest of them put together, specially when the chips were down. Plus his medium pace bowling is always an assett. Not that you would really need an extra hand with Imran-Wasim-Waqar-Fazal-Saqlain. xxx
fair call Lurker, the best thing about Asif was that unlike Wasim Bari or M Yousuf he chipped in against almost all teams. While Zaheer Aub-bus( as he was known among the Indians) really struggled against hostile quick bowling.

Drop Yuvraj, play Azharuddin. Drop Kumble for Harbhajan, pick Prabhakar for one of the empty bowling slots. Move Dhoni up to #6, Kapil to #7 and then play Agarkar. Final team; Ganguly, Tendulkar, Dravid, Azharuddin, Jadeja, Dhoni, Kapil Dev, Prabhakar, Agarkar, Harbhajan, Srinath. Kaif or Robin Singh can be the 12th man