Indian Cuisine

julianlev

Recently had my first taste of Inidan style cuisine at a restaurant here in Cape Town Never been to India so I cant tell how close it was to the real deal, but it was one of the best eating experiences of my life Papadums and Naan bread to start with followed by Tandoor Lamb and Chicken Curry with mushroom rice. Despite the unfortunate burning in my mouth which left me tasteless for several days, it was an incredible meal and I intend to go back soon I heard in the restaurant that cuisine in India depends greatly upon the region. Can anyone explain this to me, in case I ever decide to come over?

What you had was North Indian or termed as Mughlai Cuisine and its pretty much amongst the signature dishes. A typical restaurant wouldn't be able to accommodate all the different flavors of Indian cuisine but its mostly the North Indian and South Indian restaurants. Apparently, from what I know, UK seem to have the most number of Indian restaurants

What you had was North Indian or termed as Mughlai Cuisine and its pretty much amongst the signature dishes. A typical restaurant wouldn't be able to accommodate all the different flavors of Indian cuisine but its mostly the North Indian and South Indian restaurants. Apparently' date=' from what I know, UK seem to have the most number of Indian restaurants[/quote'] thanks for the info there's a large Indian demographic in SA and it looks like the food is just another thing we have to thank them for I was amazed at how many different kinds of bread there were, as well as the portion sizes when I go to a typical restaurant I'll be charged a fortune for half a plate of food, I always wonder if some of it fell off on the way to the table But at this place I was given so much I couldn't finish it all, until the next morning that is tell you one thing though, you need a sturdy digestive system to handle curry, and a tongue made of molten rock to handle the spice :hatsoff:

looks great thanks ... but...what is "red ant" chutney?
You got me there buddy..:cantstop: I googled it and it seems to be a paste made of ants and mixed with chilly and garlic. Its probably the only bizarre sounding dish from that "map". I have never heard of anyone eating it.

@Flamy, I thought Madras Palace does seem to have a decent dosa. And I believe Madras Palace is like a big chain all over U.S?? Here in Gaithersburg, I haven't really tried many things at Madras Palace, but I love it's Rawa Masala Dosa. It's pretty good.

@Flamy, I thought Madras Palace does seem to have a decent dosa. And I believe Madras Palace is like a big chain all over U.S?? Here in Gaithersburg, I haven't really tried many things at Madras Palace, but I love it's Rawa Masala Dosa. It's pretty good.
A good rawa masala dosa is hard to find here...More like rawa masala papad

hey brah, we dont have a madras palace here, but there is a chennai masala and they have good dosa :D Only problem is they are not in the city and cater to the 2 or 3 Indian Ghettos outside the city.

There is place called Bombay Club in washington DC and it is awesome. Expensive though.