Lords test 2011 : Predictions and discussion

What's new ? We all already knew the effect of IPL! IPL may have been played two months ago, but it has had its effect on the team. Sehwag postponed his surgery to play in the IPL. He played long enough in the IPL until his team reached a point from where there was no chance of it qualifying. So off he goes & gets his surgery done 6 weeks after the world cup - Who cares ? It is only two test matches against a side that is challenging our #1 spot that only took some 60 years to get to.. It is not easy for a bowler like Zaheer who is in his 30s to come into a crunch game without match practice/fitness. He should have played some games in the WI tour. Too bad IPL did not let him. Almost half this side, is coming in cold without match practice to possibly the biggest test series of the year. We'd do well to draw the series from here. A 2-0 defeat is on the cards, IMO (if we manage to play well that is!)

What's new ? We all already knew the effect of IPL! IPL may have been played two months ago, but it has had its effect on the team. Sehwag postponed his surgery to play in the IPL. He played long enough in the IPL until his team reached a point from where there was no chance of it qualifying. So off he goes & gets his surgery done 6 weeks after the world cup - Who cares ? It is only two test matches against a side that is challenging our #1 spot that only took some 60 years to get to.. It is not easy for a bowler like Zaheer who is in his 30s to come into a crunch game without match practice/fitness. He should have played some games in the WI tour. Too bad IPL did not let him. Almost half this side, is coming in cold without match practice to possibly the biggest test series of the year. We'd do well to draw the series from here. A 2-0 defeat is on the cards, IMO (if we manage to play well that is!)
Seriously? :blink:
Guest Gunner
I don't agree with your statement on Sehwag. He had two years time to get that surgery, he was diagnosed with a shoulder problem during the 2009 T20 Cup. He delayed it as long as he could. Blaming the IPL for this is fallacy. Same thing goes for ZAK, he had two months to get fit instead he squandered the time. What prevented him from arriving in England at the beginninf of July with SRT and getting fit?
I don't agree with your statement on Sehwag. He had two years time to get that surgery' date=' he was diagnosed with a shoulder problem during the 2009 T20 Cup. He delayed it as long as he could. Blaming the IPL for this is fallacy.[/quote'] Yes. Even Yuvraj has delayed his knee surgery for long now. The issue is it's very difficult to regain the same old strength in the muscles after such surgery. You can get close to 90 but never 100% up again.
I don't agree with your statement on Sehwag. He had two years time to get that surgery, he was diagnosed with a shoulder problem during the 2009 T20 Cup. He delayed it as long as he could. Blaming the IPL for this is fallacy. Same thing goes for ZAK, he had two months to get fit instead he squandered the time. What prevented him from arriving in England at the beginninf of July with SRT and getting fit?
No! At the beginning of the world cup, Sehwag's injury regressed to a point where he simply could not bowl anymore and was also feeling the pain at times while batting. There was even a question about his fitness during the world cup (Ind-Aus game ?). Veeru knew after the world cup that he had to get this surgery done & that it would take months to heal. Then why oh why did he wait till his IPL stint got over ? Clearly our players and the board place IPL ahead of these tours. And Zakky at this point (given his history and age) should be picking and choosing games/series to play. I'd have liked him to skip the IPL and play the WI series. The players who induce confidence in this team are the ones who performed well in WI, not the ones who have come in cold to such an important series. Even Gambhir picked up an injury or two playing the IPL. So yeah, IPL has pi$$ed all over our team!
Its looks like our players are looking extremely tired.We are hardly showing any intent on field AND NOW its looks like zaheer is coming back to india .Pardon me if i ever supported IPL .But after today i despise IPL.BCCI should either stop it or should shorten it.IPL :finger::finger::finger:
shorten it .... may be decrease the # of teams to 6 they probably had to make it longer for it to sustain which in turn diluted the talent pool to make the teams weaker and the tourney less interesting .... I don't recall watching a single game fully this season
Veeru knew after the world cup that he had to get this surgery done & that it would take months to heal. Then why oh why did he wait till his IPL stint got over ? Clearly our players and the board place IPL ahead of these tours.
Was he trying to fulfill the minimum requirement of 5 matches(?) of IPL to get he money?

Request to Users: Contribute in Main Match thread ..please, we see new threads pop up for any headline etc, most if it is match related - so keep it to one main thread ( preferably match thread ) instead of making 10 different threads. Thanks

Blaming Zak's injury on IPL is about as stupid as it gets. If he didn't play in the IPL and went to WI he could have easily gotten injured there. Some you feckers are talking as if our players never got injured before the IPL. :finger:

well to know if you are on top or not, add 2 wickets to your current tally and see if you feel comfortable. 130/2 to 130/4...no Mr. Steve. I don't feel comfortable if I am England supporter. If this India' score today at the end. I wouldn't have been comfortable at all. Although they manage not to lose more than 2 wickets, bit of luck and some good batting. but again wise men said add 2 wickets to your current tally and see if you feel comfortable.

What Can be Done About the Fielding Mr Fletcher? Obviously the fielding issue isnt going to be fixed over night. Just recently in the world cup we saw what a difference having Kohli on one side and Raina on the other made from the Australia match onward after a set of deplorable matches in the opening round. Fletcher I'm hoping will eventually change this team into the amazing Zimbabwe fielding sides of the mid 90s :dance: well i guess I can dream.... Seriously though what can be done to fix the abismal fielding we witnessed today? England should probably be about 4-5 down by now. I mean eventually Kohli will be a test regular along with Rohit Sharma im sure but over the next 12 months is there anything they can do? I'm currently disappointed with Fletcher - doesnt seem to have any out of the box surprises or changes the way Kirsten use to. Same predictable line up and now the team looks to be in trouble. No improvements to fielding which is the one area the team has always been lacking. Sigh :((

Blaming the IPL is just pathetic, an easy way out. Cricketers have it easy, in football the Copa America is still taking place and in a just a few weeks many of those players will be turning out for their clubs in Europe. They all seem to manage in a much more intensive sport. How many games has Messi played this year? Fact is that the fitness and physique of many of the Indian players is poor and hence are prone to injuries. Add to this that its an ageing side and the problem becomes even more apparent. IPL has little do with this.

Guest Gunner
Blaming the IPL is just pathetic, an easy way out. Cricketers have it easy, in football the Copa America is still taking place and in a just a few weeks many of those players will be turning out for their clubs in Europe. They all seem to manage in a much more intensive sport. How many games has Messi played this year? Fact is that the fitness and physique of many of the Indian players is poor and hence are prone to injuries. Add to this that its an ageing side and the problem becomes even more apparent. IPL has little do with this.
Bingo!
Guest Gunner
No! At the beginning of the world cup' date= Sehwag's injury regressed to a point where he simply could not bowl anymore and was also feeling the pain at times while batting. There was even a question about his fitness during the world cup (Ind-Aus game ?). Veeru knew after the world cup that he had to get this surgery done & that it would take months to heal. Then why oh why did he wait till his IPL stint got over ? Clearly our players and the board place IPL ahead of these tours. And Zakky at this point (given his history and age) should be picking and choosing games/series to play. I'd have liked him to skip the IPL and play the WI series. The players who induce confidence in this team are the ones who performed well in WI, not the ones who have come in cold to such an important series. Even Gambhir picked up an injury or two playing the IPL. So yeah, IPL has pi$ all over our team!
Sir, my simple question is why the surgery was delayed for two years in the first place when he was diagnosed with a problem in 2009? Why allow the problem to become so serious?