Marshall says no to NZ

King

New Zealand batsman Hamish Marshall has turned down the chanceto represent his country so he can continue playing county cricketin England More... Marshall says no to NZ shim.gif shim.gif shim.gif marshall_hamish_odi_bat_d.jpg Sponsored Links shim.gif Jun 15, 2007 New Zealand batsman Hamish Marshall has turned down the chance to represent his country so he can continue playing county cricket in England. Marshall was offered a New Zealand Cricket (NZC) contract for the 2007-08 season but rejected the offer so he could play in England for Gloucestershire as a "local" player. Marshall will be ineligible to represent New Zealand but the 28-year-old said he had made the decision for financial reasons. "This has been the most difficult decision of my life," he said in a statement released by NZC. "I have been extremely proud to represent my country during the last six years and have thoroughly enjoyed every moment of my time in the Blackcaps." NZC general manager Lindsay Crocker said New Zealand was disappointed to lose Marshall. "I spoke to Hamish about the decision earlier today. I believe he likely had a future with the Blackcaps, however I accept his reasons for pursing the certainty of a career in county cricket and wish him all the best," Crocker said. Marshall, whose twin brother James also represented New Zealand, has played 13 tests and 66 one-day internationals for his country. Marshall made his test debut against South Africa in 2000 aged 21 and scored 652 runs at an average of 38.35 with two centuries. He scored 1454 runs at 27.43 in one-day internationals with a high score of 101 not out. He played his last test more than a year ago and was initially left out of New Zealand's one-day squad for the World Cup before getting a late call-up.

Geez.. Hamish Marshall rejects playing for the country as he makes more in the English County. No wonder Ford didn't want to coach India. Ford must be on a good pay roll with Kent. A loss for Hamish Marshall really and a gain for NZ. He hasn't done any great apart from few games. Time to offer Sinclair a contract. I can't believe how Marshall gets all the favour while Sinclair doesn't. Sinclair has 2 double hundreds and although inconsistent he has the goods.

Blame it all on Kevin Pietersen factor. Better benefits my backside. It is obvious that an English player gets more chance to play cricket, and hence Marshall had made this preference. xxx
You cant Marshall and KP. KP shifted his loyalty from SA to England coz he felt he wouldnt get the chances he deserved in SA. Marshall is doing it for purely financial resons.. He can still play for NZ sometime in the future..
You cant Marshall and KP. KP shifted his loyalty from SA to England coz he felt he wouldnt get the chances he deserved in SA. Marshall is doing it for purely financial resons.. He can still play for NZ sometime in the future..
That would be a fair argument had KP given enough time to South Africa. As it is he made his debut for England at aged 24 so how many years did he really spend in South Africa? xxx
All this 'KP moved to England coz he had no chance in South Africa' is hogwash....KP when he was in South Africa was averaging in the 20s with the bat at FC level...which by no means is good enough for representing RSA.
Tell me you are kidding CC ! We all know that it would have been ONLY A MATTER OF TIME before Pietersen started performing in fc matches in SA and then go on to represent the national team.
We all know that it would have been ONLY A MATTER OF TIME before Pietersen started performing in fc matches in SA and then go on to represent the national team.
We all know that NOW...nobody knew KP back when he was in Australia...he wasj just another kid who had a mediocre FC career and as is usual with any kid, someone said 'he's talented' and some said he wasnt.