Aim to starve Tendulkar for runs throughout the series: Swann

LONDON: Having beaten India comprehensively in the first Test, England offie Graeme Swann feels that their primary aim would be to starve senior batsman Sachin Tednulkar for runs during the next three Test matches. "We stopped the Little Master, Sachin Tendulkar, from making a big score at Lord's and our aim is to starve him of runs all series," Swann wrote in his column for The Sun. "It can't be easy for Sachin because he carries the expectation of the entire Indian nation on his shoulders every time he goes out to bat. And now it is even more intense because he is just one away from a century of centuries." He was full praise for his teammates Jimmy Anderson, Chris Tremlett and Stuart Broad. "Our quick bowlers were absolutely superb as we completed a memorable 196-run win over India," Swann wrote in his column for The Sun. "Jimmy Anderson, Stuart Broad and Chris Tremlett were as good in the First Test as they were in Australia last winter. And that's saying something," he wrote. "Much of the talk going into the match was about how taking 20 wickets on a flat pitch would be impossible - especially against India's lineup of batting superstars. Well, the three big lads made that theory look daft with their aggression, accuracy, patience and skill," he further stated. "During the Test series against Sri Lanka, we didn't quite match up to the standards we demand of ourselves. I'm not sure if that was because we were ring-rusty or due to the wet and cold weather. But our bowling was back to its best against India." "We maintained pressure at both ends even though the ball wasn't doing much and made sure each new batsman felt uncomfortable when he came in - which was our game plan all winter too." Swann feels that if they can maintain the same intensity level then being No.1 is not so far away. "If we can maintain that same level of performance over the series, we'll really fancy our chances of winning - and maybe even reaching No 1 in the world rankings."
^ Yeah' date=' so unlike Swann!![/quote'] Actually the article he has written is as full of 'self praise' (of English team) as the entire English media. If you want, I can post the article here. LINK Graeme Swann hails England’s speed sensations GRAEME SWANN - Cricket columnist Published: 27 Jul 2011 IT doesn't get much better than a Lord's full house with a brilliant atmosphere AND an England victory. Our quick bowlers were absolutely superb as we completed a memorable 196-run win over India. Jimmy Anderson, Stuart Broad and Chris Tremlett were as good in the First Test as they were in Australia last winter. And that's saying something. Much of the talk going into the match was about how taking 20 wickets on a flat pitch would be impossible - especially against India's line-up of batting superstars. Well, the three big lads made that theory look daft with their aggression, accuracy, patience and skill. During the Test series against Sri Lanka, we didn't quite match up to the standards we demand of ourselves. I'm not sure if that was because we were ring-rusty or due to the wet and cold weather. But our bowling was back to its best against India. We maintained pressure at both ends even though the ball wasn't doing much and made sure each new batsman felt uncomfortable when he came in - which was our game plan all winter too. The lads always talk about trying to bowl in partnerships. We try to work with the guy at the other end to sustain pressure and it's great when two guys are bowling well together. If we can maintain that same level of performance over the series, we'll really fancy our chances of winning - and maybe even reaching No 1 in the world rankings. We stopped the Little Master, Sachin Tendulkar, from making a big score at Lord's and our aim is to starve him of runs all series. It can't be easy for Sachin because he carries the expectation of the entire Indian nation on his shoulders every time he goes out to bat. And now it is even more intense because he is just one away from a century of centuries. Tendulkar looked well set in the first innings but Broady bowled like a dream to him. Most of our plans came to fruition, which is very satisfying. But we are not getting carried away by thinking our bowling is unplayable or that we can beat anybody. The lack of the review system for lbw decisions has caused plenty of debate. I think we should use the Hawkeye tracking device because it has worked well over the last couple of years and can take flashpoints out of the game. We all knew Broady's appeal for lbw against Suresh Raina was out but umpire Billy Bowden thought there might have been an inside edge. Similarly, Broady's shout against Tendulkar would have been given out on review. They could have been massive moments and, if India had clung on for a draw, there's no doubt we would have been very frustrated. But we just have to get on with it. There are no reviews for lbw decisions in this series and that's that. The fast show :Swann on Jimmy Anderson JIMMY was magnificent on Monday and not many five-wicket hauls have included the likes of Rahul Dravid, VVS Laxman, Sachin Tendulkar and Suresh Raina. But, judging by his reaction, I think the wicket that gave him most pleasure was when Harbhajan Singh skied a catch to mid-on. It was a superb exhibition of sustained fast bowling. The way he bowled to Tendulkar - Jimmy had him playing and missing, looking scratchy, dropped and then out two balls later - was genuinely world-class stuff. I thought Jimmy should have been Man of the Series in Australia last winter for his 24-wicket haul. He is the undisputed leader of England's attack and possesses a real aggressive edge - plus a willingness to pass on advice to go with all his other outstanding attributes. Swann on Chris Tremlett I WOULD hate to be a batsman when Tremmers runs up and pounds the ball into the pitch - it must be one of the most intimidating sights in cricket. Batsmen keep thinking the ball will hit them in the armpit or somewhere more painful. Until you stand next to Chris Tremlett, it is hard to appreciate what a huge physical specimen he is. He is not just 6ft 8in tall but has a chest the size of a small lorry. On top of that, he has turned into one hell of a bowler and has added more consistency and a bit of a snarl to his repertoire. With Tremmers backing up Jimmy and Broady so well, the Indian batsmen were always going to be under plenty of pressure from the quick bowlers. Swann on Stuart Broad I'VE said all summer that Broady has been bowling okay but not getting the rub of the green. He's been getting a lot of stick from pundits, some of it unwarranted. People were very quick to jump on his back and have a go at things like the way he speaks to umpires. It says a lot when a young fella can ignore the flak and get on with his game. It's testament to his character that he kept a cool head and bowled like he did. He pitched the ball further up and it worked for him beautifully. Broady played for Notts after the one-day series against Sri Lanka and it's amazing what a week with the country's best county can do for your confidence! Although KP batted superbly for his double century, I would have made Broady Man of the Match for his seven wickets and 74 not out. His bowling in the first innings was as responsible for us winning as Jimmy's in the second innings. (On deepak_sach's request)
Actually the article he has written is as full of 'self praise' (of English team) as the entire English media. If you want, I can post the article here. LINK Graeme Swann hails England’s speed sensations GRAEME SWANN - Cricket columnist Published: 27 Jul 2011 IT doesn't get much better than a Lord's full house with a brilliant atmosphere AND an England victory. Our quick bowlers were absolutely superb as we completed a memorable 196-run win over India. Jimmy Anderson, Stuart Broad and Chris Tremlett were as good in the First Test as they were in Australia last winter. And that's saying something. Much of the talk going into the match was about how taking 20 wickets on a flat pitch would be impossible - especially against India's line-up of batting superstars. Well, the three big lads made that theory look daft with their aggression, accuracy, patience and skill. During the Test series against Sri Lanka, we didn't quite match up to the standards we demand of ourselves. I'm not sure if that was because we were ring-rusty or due to the wet and cold weather. But our bowling was back to its best against India. We maintained pressure at both ends even though the ball wasn't doing much and made sure each new batsman felt uncomfortable when he came in - which was our game plan all winter too. The lads always talk about trying to bowl in partnerships. We try to work with the guy at the other end to sustain pressure and it's great when two guys are bowling well together. If we can maintain that same level of performance over the series, we'll really fancy our chances of winning - and maybe even reaching No 1 in the world rankings. We stopped the Little Master, Sachin Tendulkar, from making a big score at Lord's and our aim is to starve him of runs all series. It can't be easy for Sachin because he carries the expectation of the entire Indian nation on his shoulders every time he goes out to bat. And now it is even more intense because he is just one away from a century of centuries. Tendulkar looked well set in the first innings but Broady bowled like a dream to him. Most of our plans came to fruition, which is very satisfying. But we are not getting carried away by thinking our bowling is unplayable or that we can beat anybody. The lack of the review system for lbw decisions has caused plenty of debate. I think we should use the Hawkeye tracking device because it has worked well over the last couple of years and can take flashpoints out of the game. We all knew Broady's appeal for lbw against Suresh Raina was out but umpire Billy Bowden thought there might have been an inside edge. Similarly, Broady's shout against Tendulkar would have been given out on review. They could have been massive moments and, if India had clung on for a draw, there's no doubt we would have been very frustrated. But we just have to get on with it. There are no reviews for lbw decisions in this series and that's that. The fast show :Swann on Jimmy Anderson JIMMY was magnificent on Monday and not many five-wicket hauls have included the likes of Rahul Dravid, VVS Laxman, Sachin Tendulkar and Suresh Raina. But, judging by his reaction, I think the wicket that gave him most pleasure was when Harbhajan Singh skied a catch to mid-on. It was a superb exhibition of sustained fast bowling. The way he bowled to Tendulkar - Jimmy had him playing and missing, looking scratchy, dropped and then out two balls later - was genuinely world-class stuff. I thought Jimmy should have been Man of the Series in Australia last winter for his 24-wicket haul. He is the undisputed leader of England's attack and possesses a real aggressive edge - plus a willingness to pass on advice to go with all his other outstanding attributes. Swann on Chris Tremlett I WOULD hate to be a batsman when Tremmers runs up and pounds the ball into the pitch - it must be one of the most intimidating sights in cricket. Batsmen keep thinking the ball will hit them in the armpit or somewhere more painful. Until you stand next to Chris Tremlett, it is hard to appreciate what a huge physical specimen he is. He is not just 6ft 8in tall but has a chest the size of a small lorry. On top of that, he has turned into one hell of a bowler and has added more consistency and a bit of a snarl to his repertoire. With Tremmers backing up Jimmy and Broady so well, the Indian batsmen were always going to be under plenty of pressure from the quick bowlers. Swann on Stuart Broad I'VE said all summer that Broady has been bowling okay but not getting the rub of the green. He's been getting a lot of stick from pundits, some of it unwarranted. People were very quick to jump on his back and have a go at things like the way he speaks to umpires. It says a lot when a young fella can ignore the flak and get on with his game. It's testament to his character that he kept a cool head and bowled like he did. He pitched the ball further up and it worked for him beautifully. Broady played for Notts after the one-day series against Sri Lanka and it's amazing what a week with the country's best county can do for your confidence! Although KP batted superbly for his double century, I would have made Broady Man of the Match for his seven wickets and 74 not out. His bowling in the first innings was as responsible for us winning as Jimmy's in the second innings. (On deepak_sach's request)
Couple of points: OK, Swann is happy with the win, why wouldn't he be? Are you expecting him to say England were crap and India deserved to win? Secondly, you do realise that Swann writes for The Sun, don't you? Is that really indicative of 'the entire English media'? You've got some proof of this, have you? :WTF:
Couple of points: OK, Swann is happy with the win, why wouldn't he be? Are you expecting him to say England were crap and India deserved to win? Secondly, you do realise that Swann writes for The Sun, don't you? Is that really indicative of 'the entire English media'? You've got some proof of this, have you? :WTF:
The entire English media have been publishing trash about India. Yeh there are been heaps of praise for Sachin, but that's about it.
The entire English media have been publishing trash about India. Yeh there are been heaps of praise for Sachin' date=' but that's about it.[/quote'] I read a reasonable selection of the English media (though not The Sun), as well as following online stuff from the BBC and watching this series on Sky over here (I think it's the BBC feed), but I haven't struck this yet. Perhaps you could point me to some examples? :hatsoff:
For entire English media, you have to go and reag Telegraph, Times, Daily Mail and some articles of Guardian even. Even that is not entire English media but quite a lot of it. There are plenty of articles from all these four sites here if you want. Times has gone behind pay wall, but even after that we find a way to read few of its articles, sometimes. And then of course, BBC is there.

Wow..These guys cannot just stop shooting their mouths off, can they ? Nasser,Botham,Boycott,Swann,Strauss....the list just doesn't seem to end. Even the South Africans didn't say much after they hammered us at the Centurion. BTW , What has India Hater Holding got to say about this.Post some of his drivel also.

Wow..These guys cannot just stop shooting their mouths off, can they ? Nasser,Botham,Boycott,Swann,Strauss....the list just doesn't seem to end. Even the South Africans didn't say much after they hammered us at the Centurion. BTW , What has India Hater Holding got to say about this.Post some of his drivel also.
He told India has no reason to panic and will bounce back at TB to NDTV? Real chamaeleon.You are my master,i will satisfy you.
Guest Gunner

I don't understand why people are getting caught up by the British media so much here. The british media is a PR machine which is used to intimidate others whether it is sports or Politics, it is a strategy which has worked well for England for a good 50 years. The most important thing is to ignore them, the moment you give them attention they will suck you in real fast. If England lose this series, the same British media will just climb into the English cricket team just as they did to the football team after the German massacre in the World Cup. Seriously, Indians have such a think skin and are so easy to rile up. I think by now everyone on the planet knows that Indians have a massive inferiority complex.