Dravid knows what it takes to win matches: Ganguly

King

Sourav Ganguly said the absence of a coach during the forthcoming tour of the United Kingdom will not have an adverse effect on the team's performance as Dravid knew what it took to win matches. More... Dravid knows what it takes to win matches: Ganguly PTI BANGALORE, June 16: Former captain Sourav Ganguly on Saturday said the absence of a coach during the forthcoming tour of the United Kingdom will not have an adverse effect on the team's performance as skipper Rahul Dravid knew what it took to win matches. "Rahul has played enough cricket to know what's required to win cricket matches. He has played more than 400 games for India. It's quite a lot. I am sure he - Sachin (Tendulkar) being the vice-captain (for the Test series) - they know what's required for the team to win," Ganguly said. South African Graham Ford who was offered the post of India's coach, refused following which BCCI appointed former skipper Chandu Borde as manager for the tour of Ireland and England. Ganguly said that in the given situation, senior players would have to take added responsibility. "Of course, there will be responsibility (on senior players)", the former captain said on the sidelines of a promotional event here. "I always believed that in the team, captain is the main man. Of course, we (senior players) will be there to support him." Ganguly stressed the importance for India to do well during the tour. "They (England) are a good side. We all need to play well. I need to play well personally. It's important for us to do well," he said. "It's a good place to play cricket. Performances in England are noticed all over the world."

Guest dada_rocks
I think he has come to terms with it .It's nice to see public support for the skipper.
He never was out of terms public paranoia and conjectures notwithstanding.

Why not? He could say a lot of different things, bi*ch and moan around like a lot of X-Captains do. Remember Rahul hasn't been very successful as a captain and Ganguly can bit*ch about it in the media but he takes it a bit easy. Remember MV and Freddi anyone or any X-Pakistan captain for that matter?

My point was: SG has only a short time left in the big time. Why would he jeopardise that with anything other than praise for the present captain? Other captains who ***** & moan are usually gone from the team and their comments have no particular consequence for them as players.

My point was: SG has only a short time left in the big time. Why would he jeopardise that with anything other than praise for the present captain? Other captains who ***** & moan are usually gone from the team and their comments have no particular consequence for them as players.
You have a point there...and a good one!:tounge_smile: talksport wrote>>>> One day Dravid comes out with a statement that lack of coach puts strain on Team....the next day Gangs comes out with a statement it doesnt matter, there are senior players who can take of the issue. I fear the mafia :) :whatchutalkingabout:omg_smile::giggle:
"I always believed that in the team, captain is the main man. Of course, we (senior players) will be there to support him."
That's the purpose of this interview/statement/paragraph. To get that all important sentence in. The guy was an attention whore and still is.

Agree with Yoda. In all his recent interviews post WC, he makes it a point to show how much he scored. He said he was the highest run getter in SA recently. Agreed he scored those runs, but how many helped the team. We lost the WC, he takes pride in his performance scoring 2 50s...altho he was miserable against SL. Add was slow against BD, his SR was inferior to Dravid and that should be a shame for his ODI stature. He gets a hero's welcome in Kolkata despite India getting ousted in the first round, as if people were rejoicing India's failure.